Dog companion  

401 members have voted

1. 1. Do you dog companion (like Dogmeat)?

We need a tribute to Dogmeat and Dog, so yes, I would like a dog companion. If character development is a problem, then make the dog talk. Everybody likes talking dogs. :D

But seriously, dogs have been trusty companions of men for centuries, so a dog would certainly fit the game (as a full blown companion please. None of that non controllable NPC stuff. This isn't wasteland or fallout).

Edited by Bill Gates' Son

If a wizard you should get a familiar, ranger a pet companion, etc, and if they can influence things like party conversations (such as party members not discussing their intended coup of your leadership when your pet is in earshot for instant) and have a personality then great. But not one who is a companion in the traditional sense, would prefer it to be unique to each character. All IMHO of course.

Edited by FlintlockJazz

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Monty Python-style vorpal bunny for me please! Bunnies are so cute!

I would like to second your proposal for, ahem, certain reasons... :brows:

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Monty Python-style vorpal bunny for me please! Bunnies are so cute!

I would like to second your proposal for, ahem, certain reasons... :brows:

I knew you would. Such an adorable little bunny you are :wub:*pats FlintlockJazz's head*.

If anybody intends on throwing a Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch at him you'd better make sure you count all the way to five, or you'll have me to deal with.

• Like 1

Snarkmaster of the Obsidian Order and Planescape junkie!

The Obsidian Order wants you!

I can't see spending a slot for a dog either.

1) Dogs really aren't good at talking. Even if the dog is said to be "super-smart", the entire conversation is going to be inferences from vague behavior made by the dog, and not anywhere similar or competitive with any conversation with a real character.

2) Dogs are also just not going to be as fun to customize. I mean, a dog will by nature have less slots, and less possibilities to develop than a fighter. You can't reasonably give a dog a sword or a shield or any of the other stuff. One of the cool things about BG2 was trying to divy up the loot.

3) Even if a lot of people really think "OMG! A DOGGY!! HOW COOL!!" why not ask for some form of werewolf instead, or maybe a shapeshifter who really really likes being a dog. Then we have a full character, but we still have a dog.

Just to be clear: I have less of a problems with a character like Okku, as even though there is less customization fun, it's not the end of the world.

Also, why a dog with a sword? Dog-mages all the way!

• Like 1

a trained monkey like in risen 2 that we send in places to steal for us undetected

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Why a dog? I hate dogs.

I'd like very much to have my personal Imp blacksmith (Cespenar) to thinker with my equipment whenever I need it :w00t:

Jokes aside, something more interesting than a dog could be interesting. But not to the expense of a party slot.

Having a house pet would be a nice touch. Maybe some hounds for a bit of hunting and a good mouser for keeping out the vermin. :)

A nice touch would be to have the dog(s) give me a giddy greeting at the door.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

The question probably should have been 'Animal Companion' not not just limited to a Dog. I would personally love a dragonling or a Giant cat or something.

18hg6f.jpg?t=1350556308

The shadow in the corner of your eye. The cold steel pressed to your throat.

The beautiful vision that may be your last.

Do not breath, for the Petite Death has your Soul in her hand.

As others said, dogs have been kinda done to death in games.

The mabari in Dragon Age carried an emotional attachment with it, especially when playing a human noble (though I believe Obsidian would be more able to explore the possibilities this attachment offered), but mostly it has become an rpg convention.

I would not mind some new exiting way of exploring the basic concept of an animal companion / pet etc.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Not as a full fledged companion, but maybe as a familiar with a bit of personality that just says his opinion on other characters or your actions and has basic talking skills.

Chosing between fae/devil with some spells and a couple of skills that require human-like interface like lockpicking or pickpocketing, canine/feline with tracking skills and maybe some weak fighting skills, or a combat oriented thing like a drake/pseudodragon with a bit of strengh and a couple of combat skills (like a D&D monk with bad stats) but useless out of combat.

Maybe with the posibility of making it stronger with some equipment slots or spending some experience/skill points of the caster (and a huge penalty if it dies).

How about a potted plant on wheels companion?

• Like 2

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."