Dog companion  

401 members have voted

1. 1. Do you dog companion (like Dogmeat)?

I guess only a dog owner would get this. I have a welsh Springer spaniel. I call him Q (trek reference :) ). Once you've had a dog, you really learn to appreciate the emotions and thoughts they convey through seemingly basic actions and sounds.

My pal Q was recently diagnosed with lymphoma. I cannot explain the sadness I felt when I found out. An entire bottle of Jameson disappeared overnight when me and my wife got the news. He picked up on those emotions instantly and seemed entirely intent on cheering me up. He knew something was wrong with himself (pain, large lump on throat, swollen organs, etc) but my emotional pain was more important to him. He jumped on my lap, looked up at me and gave me a doggie version of a hug.

Now THAT is a loyal companion.

Edited by Shevek

A dog or cat would violate MCA's rule about companions being useful in combat.

• Like 1

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

I don't understand this fixation people have on dogs and cats. Yes they are cute and cuddly in real life (well maybe not Persians or Bulldogs or Rotweilers), but this is a computer game. A unique fantasy world. A little bit more imagination and creativity would be nice.

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

I don't understand this fixation people have on dogs and cats. Yes they are cute and cuddly in real life (well maybe not Persians or Bulldogs or Rotweilers), but this is a computer game. A unique fantasy world. A little bit more imagination and creativity would be nice.

The best fantasy worlds usually at least have some kind of real world touchstones to anchor them, otherwise it makes it hard to suspend disbelief or relate to them. I'm completely ambivalent about pets being in the game, but I do think if handled properly they can add to the level of verisimilitude.

I'd like a dog companion. But one that's realistic, not some fantasical creature. Leave that for the summons. And as far as having a dog companion goes, why not make one that can seek out traps for you. He wouldn't be able to disarm it, but he could certainly be trained to find traps. Make him a bit more useful than say, the dog in DA origins.

• Like 2

No. I would love some oversized blue-green lunged ctenophore or something like this, though.

And yeah it would be cool it our actions shaped its behaviour, have I constantly stablished I'm the alpha male by beating the crap out of it during its upbringing? Maybe he'll randomdly lash out and tear some kid's throat whilst in Generic Monarch Palace Number 1.

Edited by Tychoxi

I am not against an animal that is not a dog, but it would have to fit the role well. Thinking about it magic transmutation to other animals would make everyone happy.

What I would not like is a suicidal `dog´ that charges the first enemy it sees and will fight to the death. I would like one with some intelligence and, but also animal instinct willing to flee. Also not being a traditional companion it's actions should be slightly random, like leaving my group to go chase a cat or fight another dog or mark it's territory.

As for skills, I am open to it gaining skills in the traditional exp form, but what would be great is actively teaching it, like a real dog. We would teach it to sniff out invisible characters, hunt out traps and non-combat skills like finding stashed loot.

This would be a fantastic addition to me if implemented right, I would probably even just have a solo playthrough with my pet.

Also, we should be able to name it!

I agree with what Aedelric said. A pet companion is fun, as long is it is not dull enough to jump into every singlt enemy and fight to death. Maybe some 'behaviour commands' could help, where you can order your pet to wait before a fight or to run away if it is critically hurt.

While I'm not a dog person, I wouldn't object to a dog if it were an optional companion (unlike the dog in DA). That said, if they want to make an animal companion, I would prefer something less banal than a dog (or cat, even though I am a cat person). I agree with those who have suggested something along the lines of Okku from MotB. I think that would feel more appropriate for a fantasy adventure. Dogmeat worked in Fallout 'cause he fit the setting. For fantasy, we should have something a bit more fantastical.

Edited by eimatshya