Dog companion  

401 members have voted

1. 1. Do you dog companion (like Dogmeat)?

I'd like pets like a dog, but not for combat. A dog could be good for alerting the party to dangers through smell and hearing. Another pet could be a mule that helps carry loot and even injured party members.

Similar to the pets system in Torchlight?

I've only played (and completed) Torchlight, not the sequel, but in Torchlight the pet is for sending to town to sell things, to carry things, and for combat. So if you had a mule it would be like a Torchlight pet that you had set to passive and you couldn't send to town. It's much more like the pack mule in the original Dungeon Siege, but I don't want pets to fill up a party slot like they did in Dungeon Siege or DA: Origins.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

I want a cheetah. Or a ferret. Or an angry hippo. Anything but a dog/wolf. Dogs are overdone in most stories, needz something different.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yes I liked to have non humanoid companion, liked Dogmeat in Fallout, I liked Ed-e in Fallout new vegas.That said I must say I have something to say that, if this dog is supposed to take place as a member of party, that i will pass, we will probobly only have seven companions, wasting one slot on non speaking companion even if it is non humanoid , will fill like a wasted, what I would like is to make them in vein of familarias in Baldurs gate 2 with slightly bigger talking option, or maybe if we have a player house we can have a animal companion, in there, as form of Npc,

Also maybe not dog, dogs belong to fallout, and been usead in DA:O , in Fable 2 and 3 , personally I would like a ferrot, or a parrot, or a hamster, or goblin buttler yes a goblin buttler , Obsidian do hear us we want Goblin butller.

First thought when reading the poll: DOGMEAT!!

But then I read the comments,and I have to agree, it has sorta already "been done". But the Playerhouse watchDRAGON is getting my points! :yes:

photo-43672.jpg?_r=1349795749
"Which is more the fool: the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

Like some previously said, I also kind of like animal compagnions, but the problem is that they usually use a party slot and since they have no interactions, banters or wathever, they tends to be boring, and I end up using a real full fledged character instead.

But if it's an animal familiar, that dont use a slot, and adds some kind of particular non-combat gameplay/skills to the game, yeah why not. For example the familiar could be a good way to replace and justify the old Infinity Engine "Alt" key, it could search the environnment for interactive elements and in doing so it would make this feature fit roleplay-wise in the game.

Edited by captainbob

I agree that a dog is kind of boring. But then so are humans.

• Like 1

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

I voted yes and no because while I like the animal companion idea, I hope that it isn't limited to dogs. I would like to see some exotic creatures here. Perhaps dinos or just something off the wall the at the devs make. Tie in some skills that may or may not be class centric to using them. Introduce breeding and combat elements. Perhaps use magic to mutate them into bigger/better things. It could be interesting.

The problem with pets (and dogs) ist their limited skill and their high mortality in combat. I don't like to have a companion who I have to resurrect after every second fight. I think Obsidian should concentrate on the real companions. But I could think of Pets and dogs as a DLC after release so everyone can choose to have one or not. :)

Edited by LordCrash
  • Like 1
35167v4.jpg

I'm really sick of those half-companions (usually dogs). They are limited in many aspects, especially in: dialogues, player interactions, skills and equipment.

I've always preferred a real companion instead of a pet.

• Like 1
LXIfI.jpg

I am not against dog companion, but if it will be added, then make him more useful so I can order him to fetch things, distract enemies or don't attack them at all and just warn me about their presence. Maybe he could have some interesting history like Dogmeat in Fallout and you are going to find who kill his former master.