Got some spells you really want to see again, or maybe something completely novel? Then this might be the right place to drop them. After all, having more neat ideas to choose from can barely hurt....

Since I don't want this to blow up within a few hours, here's some simple rules:

- See an idea you like? Press that little green button that says so! I'll later be able to compile something like a Top10 with this information. Afaik this board has an unliking function, in case you change your mind.

- Obviously this means more than one spell idea per post is bad. Feel free to double-post though.

- It does not matter whether your idea is from some other game, book, movie or completely new... but if you know something like this has been featured before, it might help to say where. Can help people with getting a clearer idea of what your thinking about.

- This ain't a discussion thread, keep it tidy or we won't be able to find the actual spell ideas between all the blathering. And then this topic will die horribly. If you think something sucks, just don't like it. Or create a new topic for further discussion on the idea.

- Since we don't know about the general magic system at this time, spells that rely on one particular implementation (like "restore 3 level 1 spells without having to rest") are not useful quite yet.

- Whoever asks for a spell that lets you romance someone will recieve an arrow to the knee.

So, put on your robe and wizard hat and get this spellbook going =P

Spells that manipulate or factor in the environment would be nice. Not necessarily terrain deforming (which might be difficult to pull off with limited resources), but maybe like Summoning Elementals where you draw on a source (earth, rocks, trees, water, etc) and an appropriate creature comes out as a result.

Edited by Crusty
  • Like 4

I want to see magic used more out of combat.

• Construction
  • Conversation/dialogue -
  • Impersonation
  • As a distraction, eg distract guards from their post.

I would also like to see some magic which takes effect over a longer period of time - as most magic these days is instantaneous. They would take a lot of effort and special resources to cast but would provide long lasting benefits such as stat manipulation, or a permanent ability such as night vision. Maybe even to help someone repair a lost limb.

• Like 9

This is not so much a spell, as a theme. I'd like to see spell names that provide a little arcane atmosphere. Rather than levitation, perhaps "rise as fiery smoke", or the latin "levitas".

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I'd love to see the "basic" temporary enchantment type of spells to use on weapons, though perhaps flavored to sound better in the spell descriptions than their basic utilitarian needs.

Examples: "Imbue Flame" or perhaps "Imbue the Fire" or maybe "Frost Sheen" as examples of names.

Essentially they would work kind of like the spells from Neverwinter Nights. Add a few d6 worth of damage to strikes for "rounds per level" or whatever balanced timing agent is used for Project Eternity.

Spells like this would make spell casters that prefer close range combat more versatile and more or less viable against creature types that have elemental weaknesses/vulnerabilities.

I am not only saying this because one of my own original characters is in fact a warrior that likes to imbue his sword with elemental magic >.> I just think it is something very useful and provides options to many types of characters.

• Like 2

Speak with the dead.

I want to kill them and then tell me where did they take the girl.

While the idea itself does indeed sound very tantalizing, it sounds like something that would be hard to use outside of very situational situations. Perhaps if the game supported something equivalent to a Knowledge Arcana check, or perhaps a Knowledge Religion check from D&D it could be something used in an out of combat scenario as that check rather than a separate spell?

Speak with the dead.

I want to kill them and then tell me where did they take the girl.

While the idea itself does indeed sound very tantalizing, it sounds like something that would be hard to use outside of very situational situations. Perhaps if the game supported something equivalent to a Knowledge Arcana check, or perhaps a Knowledge Religion check from D&D it could be something used in an out of combat scenario as that check rather than a separate spell?

Play Arcanum. Be amazed.

Say no to popamole!

I'd like to see a return of the mage battles from BG2 or IWD and for that we'd need at least the following two:

1. Powerful wards/protective enchantments that not merely give the mage a buff to his defence but potentially can make him immune to physical damage, reflect other spells and give high resistances to elemental/poison/magic damage. This is needed so that a powerful mage can not just be negated by engaging him in close combat or have archers interrupt his spellcasting.

2. Spells like "Breach" and "Khelben's Warding Whip" which can strip a mage of such protective wards and therefore are a must have if you don't have someone with a gun in your party.

• Like 3

Shadow Ally

The spell separates the shadow of the target (preferably enemy, see later) and animates it to fight by your side. The conjured shadow is of the same character class and build as the target, but somewhat weaker. Any damage the shadow takes is equally divided between the creature and the target. It can be dispelled though.

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid
  • Like 5

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Since the game revolves around the concept of souls, I thought this might be a good opportunity to be more creative with magics connecting with souls.

Some poor examples from me:

-Decimate Soul (Instant kill)

-Fragment soul (Weaken effect)

-Detach soul (Unconscious)

-Bound Soul (Charm effect)

-Fuse Soul (Strengthen effect)

Necromancy

Soul eater - capture a limited number of souls, if you are full you have to release a soul to open a slot (number grows with experience)

Skills of the dead - can replace one (more as your level grows) skill or ability with one a soul has (it defaults to whichever is higher), can also use spells the soul knew.

Raise the dead - general raise the corpses in area to fight for you.

Rise of the fallen - Can summon the bodies of any soul you hold to fight for you as an undead thralls(using all their abilities and skills), the necromancer cannot use any ability/skill/knowledge of any soul as long as the undead thrall is summoned, when its dismissed or is destroyed, the soul is returned to the player character.

• Like 2

soul trap ?

use the souls for crafting or commerce

Just thinking.., could that be considered slavery ? A new form of slavery in a new universe. Some cultures practise it, some others don't, some cultures want to eradicate that form of slavery, some others don't care..

Mental spells

Astral projection - can seperate the body to scope out an area, has a time limit and range limit from body

Possession (works with astral projection) - In astral form can jump in and take over bodies near by. Use the same skills/abilities of the host body, with higher levels can access more and more of their skills/abilities and some knowledge. There is a slight glow to the eyes so the character needs a high bluff/impersonate skill or will be recognized as being possessed. The time limit is removed but the range limit is still there. When the character is attacked in another body, a fraction of the damage is taken in by the PC original body.

So hard to pick just one . . .

I guess Rusting Grasp.

. . . but seriously Flight, Levitation, Control Weather, Time Stop and countless others all come to mind, because they all fall in my favorite spell school, or, just plain favorite types of spells in general. The weird sorts of spells that don't seem as good as those evocation type spells, at first glance, but may actually be some of the best, or at least far more interesting to play with.

Pretty much anything associated with the spell ideas presented in the Transmutation, Illusion, Enchantment or Divination schools, even if we aren't using that system it had some great spell ideas in those schools. Especially Transmutation. As far as I've ever been considered Transmutation held some of the most interesting spell types, period.

Edited by Umberlin
  • Like 2

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"