The Custom Player House

I've always loved having a Base to call my own like in Suikoden and BG2. Now finally we can have a base that we can customize but I wanted to know to what extent we can customize it. Will it be like Minecraft or Sims where you can build something from the ground up or like jigsaw pieces that you can choose where they go? I'd like it to be something we can have a lot of choice on for what the walls look, how it's shaped, etc.

• Like 1

I feel the same way. Minecraft styled might be a bit too difficult to implement, but I think something modular might work. Like "What sort of room do you want Room #1 to be?" And having the option to select like a living room, den, kitchen, what-have-you. This is assuming a literal house, of course.

I'd rather see something that's a cross between the Morrowind House fortresses (Redoran, Hlaahu, and Telvanni) and Crossroad Keep from NWN2.

Do you like hardcore realistic survival simulations? Take a gander at this.

I've always loved having a Base to call my own like in Suikoden and BG2. Now finally we can have a base that we can customize but I wanted to know to what extent we can customize it. Will it be like Minecraft or Sims where you can build something from the ground up or like jigsaw pieces that you can choose where they go?

Yeah, because Obsidian annonced P:E as a Minecraft x Sims clone...

I'd like it to be something we can have a lot of choice on for what the walls look, how it's shaped, etc.

www.floorplaner.com

You´re welcome

• Like 2

I don't know what to feel about this. I never used the player house in Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas or any other game. It's a bit Bethesda to appeal to the players by offering a player house. Who wants that?

Having said that we are going to get houses and then I suggest that Obsidan goes all the way and do it The Sims-style. I'm not kidding. Having a house should of course be optional. But if you decide to use it, it should be highly customizable. I'm thinking the range somewhat like this: You can set a location in the game world as your partys focal point (where the party meet up and hang around), it could either be an Inn like the Sunkien Flagon in NWN2 where everybody hangs around. Or it could be a house that you have bought or been givien (as thanks for completing a quest), or it could be a house that you have built yourself. And then I think it would be great if customization of it worked like in The Sims.

I hate how it works in Bethesdas games where you are limited to choose between preselected furnishings. I want to be able to customize everything by myself. Otherwise, what's the point of it?

I'm also thinking that you and your party are going to travel alot. Maybe you are given som rare furniture on your travels. Maybe you help a king with some of his troubles and as a thank you he let you have the painting from your room at his castle (where you were staying whilst working for him) that you've grown so found of. And things like that.

It would also be cool to be able to have your own castle in a never ending game world. So that you have somthing to do after you have completed the main quest.

But it would have to be much more developed than how Crossroads Keep worked in NWN2.

I'm thinking full stronghold style! Have you palyed the first Stronghold game and Stronghold Crusader? They are great. You can set the taxes. High taxes makes the people angry whilst low taxes makes them happy. But if you decide to have high taxes (to give you more income) you can counter the peoples dissatisfaction by giving them more food and giving them gardens to walk around in and such thing.

And with this mechanism it is easy to be either good or evil in your role as a lord. You can have low taxes, severe punishments, low food rations and no gardens to walk in. That will make them work hard. Or if you decide to be a good lord then you can have high taxes, high food rations, gardens and joy for the people and no punishments. The negative here is that the people wont work as hard but because of the high taxes you will still gain money. That's how it works in Stronghold. And you can also arrange weddings and stuff. Religion is also a factor. I forgot to mention that.

Edit:

About the weddings. In PE you are going to travel alot and you will probably encounter royals and nobles who wont allow their sons and daughters to mary just anybody. But if you have been given a castle of your own it would be possible for you to mary the children of higher ups. Or something. All I'm saying is that this castle/house feature could be an integrated thing in the gameworld but that it has to be optional for people who doesn't want a house or if they just wnat a room to dump their stuff in.

Edit2:

It would also be cool if you could open a store in your house and become a merchant. Or being able to build your own merchant empire. Just throwing out ides here.

Edited by Potemkin

Yes, I've come to feel a bit blah about owning a house in a game. You spend a ton of your hard-earned coin on the purchase, then even more on the furnishings, and what do you have... not much. I'd like a house that does something; where you can interact with NPCs and it can lead to adventures, or information. Like a Pub. Otherwise it probably won't be worth the bother.

What might be kind of cool is an interdimensional house, or a house in the clouds; one that you can take with you on your journeys (in the form of a magical gateway) and where you and your friends can rest up when the going gets rough. Perhaps one you can stock up with a healer, a crafter, and so forth. Maybe a living house that undergoes random changes, or one that speaks to you.

Edited by rjshae
  • Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I've always loved having a Base to call my own like in Suikoden and BG2. Now finally we can have a base that we can customize but I wanted to know to what extent we can customize it. Will it be like Minecraft or Sims where you can build something from the ground up or like jigsaw pieces that you can choose where they go? I'd like it to be something we can have a lot of choice on for what the walls look, how it's shaped, etc.

That's, one reason I was against this goal. Go play Skyrim or Minecraft dude.

Edited by kenup
  • Like 2

I think we can all expect something like Baldur's Gate 2 or Neverwinter Nights 2. Or at least something along those lines, hopefully with a little bit more customizability (choice of temple or chapel, whether we want a barracks or a wizard's tower, etc).

But no, nothing remotely like the Sims or Minecraft. C'mon. Let's be serious here. I'm not sure I'd even want that.

t50aJUd.jpg

I might be wrong, but after hearing a few comments from the devs I think the "house" is meant to be a small stronghold of some sort? ... or at least it will be something strongly integrated into the gameworld.

After all this was the only feature present in the 2 million dollar stretch goal, meaning about $200K dedicated to it. That seems like a decent amount of cash to do something beyond a simple Skyrim style abode.

I really did appreciate the strongholds that we got in BG2 it was great to have a place to store stuff. It would be cool to have stores and a real sense of the house belonging to the player. I'm not asking for a minecraft or aims clone.

Something modular would probably work and nikolokolus brought a good point up that 200k has been dedicated to this tier. So I don't think it will be a simple ranger hut.

I did like what they did in skyrim allowing for places to display your trophies.

I thought that Crossroad Keep was awesome if not a bit lacking when it came down to the siege. I loved the idea of a player stronghold that you could build up and fortify. I'm pretty sure Josh did too, considering it was planned for Van Buren.

I would love to see an enhanced/more interactive version of Crossroad Keep in game.

Having said that we are going to get houses and then I suggest that Obsidan goes all the way and do it The Sims-style. I'm not kidding...

And then I think it would be great if customization of it worked like in The Sims.

:banghead: Enough said.

I hate how it works in Bethesdas games where you are limited to choose between preselected furnishings. I want to be able to customize everything by myself. Otherwise, what's the point of it?

:banghead: For storage and for a more convenient way to switch out party members if you need or want to make a change.

It would also be cool to be able to have your own castle in a never ending game world. So that you have somthing to do after you have completed the main quest.

I think many of us will replay the game with a different character build or at a different difficulty level.

After all this was the only feature present in the 2 million dollar stretch goal, meaning about $200K dedicated to it. That seems like a decent amount of cash to do something beyond a simple Skyrim style abode.

From the Kickstarter page:

"ACHIEVED! Get your own house in the game that you can customize, store equipment in, and where your companions hang out, or, as the elves say, "chillax". Adds new NPCs, a store with unique new armor, clothing and weapons and.... more quests to adventure on. "

Somehow I don't think that $200K is simply for the house.

\sigh....