Name and Design an NPC Pledge Reward; potentially 200 of them?

I was browsing the possible pledges (again) and it struck me that if the 1000$ tier that allows a backer to name and design an NPC sells out, Obsidian will have to put 200 fan-made NPCs in the game. That is a staggering amount; in fact there are many RPGs out there that don’t have as many NPCs in the entire game.

I was wondering therefore how they’ll solve this from a design point of view. It seems to me that it’s impossible to create so many unique NPCs and also give them a unique thing to do, i.e. a quest. So will people have to accept that their character will be a villager; a trader; a tavern guest rather than a quest NPC? The alternative is quite impossible unless Obsidian’s developers start replacing all of their own quest NPCs with fan-made candidates that more or less fit the profile.

I’m not saying this to question or cast doubt on this pledge reward by the way: if I’d design a character and see him or her end up telling my hero a line or two of lore in some cosy inn, I’d be perfectly contented. After all, expecting them to become a major villain or wise mentor that counsels the player throughout the game just isn’t very realistic. No, I’m just interested to see how these fan-made NPCs will be handled throughout the development of Project Eternity and would welcome your opinions on the matter.

Chronicler of the Obsidian Order; for the pen is mightier than the sword!

I was unaware the phrase "quest NPC" appeared anywhere. I always assumed the fan-made NPCs would just be hanging out in the various towns and might have their own dialogue/gimmicks.

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

I was unaware the phrase "quest NPC" appeared anywhere.

I doesn’t. :)

But 200 NPCs just hanging around is still a lot!

24 Cities/towns plus 11 or so fortresses assuming that all the cities on the map are visitable. So not that many per area. Not to mention random encounters. Edited by ravenshrike

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

There will be some editing going on, no doubt. But writing a funny line or two shouldn't be too much of a problem gameplay-wise. Maybe they'll say the more over-the-top stuff when they're clicked too many times. I'd actually enjoy that - I'm curious about what people will create. Names are another problem entirely, though. I can't imagine how they will all be congruent with the region/culture they are placed in.

Edited by Audiocide

As I understand this, backers will be able to pick a name, race and class for an NPC and even this only "within reason". What it boils down to is that you have a name that you picked pop up on some NPC in the game. I don't think there's much potential for problems even if there are 200 of them.