Update #10: Characteriztion with Chris Avellone

Happy birthday Chris! Thank you for some of the best moments in my life with your games!

Regarding characters - it would be very cool to have some great companions from the past, like wounded caravan driver Jan, or grim jester Morte. They should be fully developed characters fitting to PE (Morte won't be a flying skull and Jan won't have jeans) but their names and personalities referring back to beloved guys will please some RPG veterans (like meself and buch of other supporters) to no ends.

Just saying. :)

If their only purpose is fanservice I'd rather have them left. Eternity should be a unique world and the start to something entirly new.

Edited by C2B

Copyright laws would issue into this I believe. You can't simply take characters from another game that you do not own the rights to. You can meet Father Christmas, Robin Hood, King Arthur, because those are not copyright people or characters. Sure it would be fun but I doubt it can be done.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Avellone should sue the grocery store for causing problems to his health, causing him to age twice as fast as he should've.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Happy birthday Chris! Thank you for some of the best moments in my life with your games!

Regarding characters - it would be very cool to have some great companions from the past, like wounded caravan driver Jan, or grim jester Morte. They should be fully developed characters fitting to PE (Morte won't be a flying skull and Jan won't have jeans) but their names and personalities referring back to beloved guys will please some RPG veterans (like meself and buch of other supporters) to no ends.

Just saying. :)

If their only purpose is fanservice I'd rather have them left. Eternity should be a unique world and the start to something entirly new.

No I see those guys as a full scale characters fitting well with PE world and story. Fanservice, as you named it, is just small but pleasant part of them. It is not necessary but nice addition to the game. And I seriously doubt there are that many of us who remember Jan from Fallout 1 here. But what few of us left will be happy to see old sidekick getting a new life...

Been there. Seen that. Got the scars.

*Currently struggling through the party control system in DA:0. Taking a break after a Richard Pryor inspired high pitched "WTF is my party doing even though tactics is off" moment.

Watches update 10*

Tim Cain: We will allow you to control your party.

Me: YESSSSSSSSSS!!!

• Like 1

Pretty sure "ego stroking the player" just meant making them feel significant by responding to their choices. They can outright hate you (though this should be limited a bit in the case of party members, since it strains disbelief that they'd stay with you without a really good reason) and still 'ego stroke' you by viewing you as significant to the story.

And while I understand the complaint about not wanting the PC to be "the center of the world" objecting to him/her being the "center of the story" strikes me as a bit absurd. Of course the PC is the center of the story. That's why it's the PC.

Edited by The Sharmat
  • Like 1

And while I understand the complaint about not wanting the PC to be "the center of the world" objecting to him/her being the "center of the story" strikes me as a bit absurd. Of course the PC is the center of the story. That's why it's the PC.

Depends on what 'at the center' means. In The Witcher 2 you certainly impact the events of the game, but there are a great many important things happening around you that, while they're not directly related to you, pull you in through proximity and through the various factions using you as a pawn. It doesn't make you feel powerless, but rather intrigued to see what you can do to impact the big events. This is as opposed to being fantasy-jesus.

A sentence I hope will be absent from the game altogether is "I guess you're right...". Way, way too often (most recently in bioware's games) you can talk someone down from a political view, personal conviction or even ****ing drug abuse with a generic phrases.

The companions at least to me are a huge defining part of a game. Dragon Age origins for me did companions brillantly, they were there and they were good in combat regardless but if you invested the time into them you started to care about them, they started to enthrall you, they were more than just video game characters. They have their own story lines and evolution.

If I hear their voice in other games I want to go back to DAO to journey with them again instead of playing the game I'm in. Ofcourse this happens to me with a few tv/movies as well but I do hope that you can achieve that sort of level of companion in this game as well.

And yeah.... my desk looks much worse than that