Which artistic style do you prefer for artwork?

Which artistic style do you prefer?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Which artistic style do you prefer for concept art?

• similar to the Dwarf Ranger image
    • similar to Edair and Cadegund images
  2. 2. If these images were to be used as portraits, which would you prefer?

• Dwarf Ranger style
    • Edair and Cadegund style

Time for another poll.

Since we already have concept art for PE following two distinct styles, I'm curious on what the the community's preference is.

8MAmx.jpg

F1QuQ.jpgxlpPM.jpg

Edited by hideo kuze

You are comparing sketches to a painting.

Edit - Just to clarify, one is a concept sketch, the other a painted character portrait. Their is no difference in art direction, the dwarf is the art direction, the concept sketches are just that, concept.

Edited by Aedelric
  • Like 3

voted the dwarf for portraits but the others for concept art. The dwarf looks better and more artistic, but the general purpose of concept art of a character is to actually show what it looks like right? The other style does a better job of that in my opinion.

Edited by ogrezilla

Edit - Just to clarify, one is a concept sketch, the other a painted character portrait. Their is no difference in art direction, the dwarf is the art direction, the concept sketches are just that, concept.

This!

magic021.jpg

This!

And thirded.

The comparison made here is useless

Edited by C2B
  • Like 1

People will hate me for this, but I'm not particulary fond of Witcher's art direction. (Among other things)

I could.

There are many things I could criticize about The Witcher 2, but I think that in terms of general art direction and costume/armor design they are simply unmatched at the moment.

Edited by Tuco Benedicto
  • Like 2

People will hate me for this, but I'm not particulary fond of Witcher's art direction. (Among other things)

I could.

There are many things I could criticize about The Witcher 2, but I think that in terms of general art direction and costume/armor design they are simply unmatched at the moment.

Same :).

So, why is Witcher's art direction so great? And please don't tell me it's *realistic*.

Edited by C2B

I could.

So, why is Witcher's art direction so great. And please don't tell me it's *realistic*.

if those three are all from the witcher, I like both guys but the girl looks silly with her two crooked belts and the weird whatever that is over her shoulders. She looks sillier than Cadegund and her boobplate.

Edited by ogrezilla

I don't particulary like you either, actually.

I don't mind it. I don't care about you at all, so it's not really a problem for me.

So, why is Witcher's art direction so great. And please don't tell me it's *realistic*.

Because it's at the same time detailed, stylish and in may ways even historically accurate/believable (especially when it comes to armors)?

I could.

if those three are all from the witcher, I like both guys but the girl looks silly with her two crooked belts and the weird whatever that is over her shoulders.

To be honest I like the first one as well. The third one just irks me.

Edit.^^^^^^^^ ok, then. I think I will remove myself from this as with nearly everything where Witcher is brought up. Isn't going to end well. (Though, I actually think it's a great game. Even if I disagree on a lot of aspects people praise it for)

Edited by C2B

if those three are all from the witcher

No, the first one is from Wes Burt, an artist of Massive Black, a company that outsources art and 3D assets for game developers.

This concept, specifically, is for the Rohan-themed expansion of Lords of the Rings Online.

that's the best one of those for sure. I like that a lot.

that's the best one of those for sure. I like that a lot.

You can browse other concept arts he made for Lotro here:

http://kotaku.com/58...cters/gallery/1

All very cool stuff.

I wish I had a better source than Kotaku, but that's what a quick google search gave me as result.

These I really like. Well, I'm not that big a fan of some of the hair styles/faces. But, looks really great/awesome.

Edited by C2B

This!

And thirded.

The comparison made here is useless

I stand corrected.

My intention was to ask on which type of image do people prefer.

So IMO the comparison isn't really useless, just bad working on my part.