Have you played an Infinity Engine game before?

Have you played an Infinity Engine game before donating to the Obsidian Kickstarter?  

321 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever played an Infinity Engine game before donating to the Obsidian Kickstarter?

• Yes, and I enjoy them.
    • Yes, but don't actually like them.
    • No, but I would like to have tried them.
    • No and I'm not really interested.

IWD2 just went too far in terms of being only about combat.

Uh, that was the ENTIRE point of IWD series. They are tactical IE combat games.

Haha! I don't know how you could misunderstand that when playing the IWD series? Well I got a laugh out of that :)

When it comes to replaying the IE series of games though I always end up going back to the BG series, I just find the Bhaalspawn Saga so engrossing!

I really really hope that Project Eternity can pull something out of the hat and give as greater storyline (for me anyways) as that one!!

Edited by Liquid_Silver11

I was quite busy with school and work during that period and missed out on all the games released during the 1990s and 2000s.

Recently had a chance to play Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines and loved it, and Fallout: New Vegas is another of my all time favorites, so I pledged because I'm quite certain this team has the chops to make a brilliant RPG. Alpha Protocol and KOTOR 2 were also great games.

I did purchase Baldur's Gate 1&2 from GOG.com a few months ago, but I had a lot of trouble trying to figure out how to install it with the bgtutu or easytutu, etc., whatever those mods are called, and finally I gave up. Perhaps I'll try the enhanced edition whenever it is released.

Icy, did you see the thread on the GOG forums about modding the game? It a pretty good and easy to follow guide: http://www.gog.com/en/forum/baldurs_gate_series/baldurs_gate_2_essential_mods/page1 If you have any troubles, there are plenty of good folks on the GOG forums that can help you out as well.

BG2 was tied with Fallout 2 for my favorite game until I tried PS:T. Really enjoyed IWD and IWD2. BG1 was fun but BG2 ruined it for me.

There are a few things about the engine/ruleset that I'm not a huge fan of, being based on rounds being the major one. Rounds work in turn-based, but in real time while you're sitting there waiting for your round to come I just think "OMG just hurry up and hit the bastard."

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

IWD2 just went too far in terms of being only about combat.

Uh, that was the ENTIRE point of IWD series. They are tactical IE combat games.

I understand that. I don't have a problem with them existing. As a rule I just don't enjoy them. IIRC, Black Isle was only making such a game because it was so much easier and quicker to make than their usual style. Not because they genuinely wanted to make a game only about combat with battle after battle after battle ad nauseum. I did think the combat itself was enjoyable (although I prefer 2nd ed. rules) There's just only so much I can take before succumbing to the repetitiveness of it. I could never play much of Space Invaders for a similar reason.

Edited by metiman

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

PS: T is an all time favorite of mine, and I really enjoyed BG2 (both chapters) at the time. Played them all more than once. I don't recall making much headway in BG1, but I do look forward to revisiting the enhanced editions later this year. Never really tried Icewind Dales, but maybe I'll check them out in GoG.

BG, BG2, and PST along with Fallout and Fallout 2 are in my all time favorites along with Medieval/Rome: Total War, NHL 93-94-95, Tony LaRussa Baseball, Metal Gear, and KotOR/K2:TSL.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

There is a certain point in terms of dated graphics where I have a great deal of trouble playing a game these days. The last few Might and Magic games are just below that point for me. BG1 is right at that point. All the rest of the IE games are just above that point. Every time I replay BG2 I think about how surprisingly good the graphics and character models are. Although I like eye candy as much as anyone else and really enjoy photorealism and intensely detailed bump mapped character models, graphics at the level of IWD2 and BG2 are 100% adequate for me.

I'm surprised anyone stills plays BG1 on its own. Nowadays it is much, much better played as part of Baldur's Gate Trilogy, which allows you to play the whole series in the BG2 engine...and, just as importantly, opens up BG1 to easy modding.

I wouldn't have the patience for vanilla BG1 anymore, but I can play it through BGT happily.

Also, I understand people who haven't played them but would like to...but if you played them and didn't like them, as some people voted, why are you even here? You've read the description of what this project is aiming to create, right?

Weird.

I was quite busy with school and work during that period and missed out on all the games released during the 1990s and 2000s.

Recently had a chance to play Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines and loved it, and Fallout: New Vegas is another of my all time favorites, so I pledged because I'm quite certain this team has the chops to make a brilliant RPG. Alpha Protocol and KOTOR 2 were also great games.

I did purchase Baldur's Gate 1&2 from GOG.com a few months ago, but I had a lot of trouble trying to figure out how to install it with the bgtutu or easytutu, etc., whatever those mods are called, and finally I gave up. Perhaps I'll try the enhanced edition whenever it is released.

Icy, did you see the thread on the GOG forums about modding the game? It a pretty good and easy to follow guide: http://www.gog.com/e...tial_mods/page1 If you have any troubles, there are plenty of good folks on the GOG forums that can help you out as well.

I spent an entire weekend trying to install the game and got so frustrated I gave up on it. There are just so many different components, and I would get part of it installed, but then there were some kind of WeiDu errors, etc. It's already been 10 or 15 years I think since it was initially released, so I suppose I can wait another year or two for the Enhanced Edition.

Edited by IcyDeadPeople

This is very welcome, I was just having this conversation with a few members here on the forums last night and am glad to see that Obsidian has coinciding thoughts and discussions on the matter and don't seem very inclined to take the "gtfo" attitude towards those that haven't played the older crpgs as some forum members were suggesting. Once again I am completely humbled by how much they care about this project and how much they care about the fans.

The results here are unsurprising but the forums are and always will be a very tiny part of a game's fanbase.....or in this case backers. It only makes sense that those who have been with the company the longest and best know its games best are more interested and active here on the forums.

1zq6793.jpg

Put up a poll, go to bed and come back to find it at four pages. :D Well I think its safe to assume that most people here are IE fans which admittedly I expected anyway, so if there is a large contingent of non-IE players backing it they don't seem to be hanging around here or are hiding (if the latter don't worry IE players don't bite! ;) ).

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Lol, I still have the original game boxes for PS:T, BG1/2, IWD, etc. proudly sitting on a shelf. I played them, my kids grew up playing them... and from time to time we still replay them ... now courtesy of GOG, since the game discs eventually wore out.

• Like 1

I've played PS:T, BG1 & 2, IWD1 & 2, and loved all of them. Those old IE games, and the fond memories I have of playing them, are basically the reason I'm super excited about Obsidian making Project Eternity.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

This is very welcome, I was just having this conversation with a few members here on the forums last night and am glad to see that Obsidian has coinciding thoughts and discussions on the matter and don't seem very inclined to take the "gtfo" attitude towards those that haven't played the older crpgs as some forum members were suggesting. Once again I am completely humbled by how much they care about this project and how much they care about the fans.

The results here are unsurprising but the forums are and always will be a very tiny part of a game's fanbase.....or in this case backers. It only makes sense that those who have been with the company the longest and best know its games best are more interested and active here on the forums.

I'm thinking of my friend here (who pledged the same amount I did). She's played Alpha Protocol, Vampire: The Masquerade -- Bloodlines (we both did) and KotoR 2 and loved all of them. I've been trying to get her to play Planescape: Torment, but she's been very busy lately with her job, so she doesn't have a lot of time to play games. I don't know if she's played any IE games, she just wanted to support Obsidian because she knows they do great work. If she gets stuck, I've played the IE games, so I'll help her out, but she's smart enough to know what everyone's roles are in combat, so I think she'll be fine.

Maybe if she likes this game I can finally sell her on the old IE games or other CRPGs.

image-163149-full.jpg?1348680770

I suspect a greater proportion of PE backers have played an IE game as compared to the number of Wasteland 2 backers who have actually played Wasteland.

I played both.

Yeah, the confusion from backers over what "Wasteland" meant... too many heard "grandfather of Fallout" and through Fallout 3.

Boy, the headaches those conversations caused....

Yeah, the confusion from backers over what "Wasteland" meant... too many heard "grandfather of Fallout" and through Fallout 3.

Boy, the headaches those conversations caused....

I wasn't sure I was going to support Wasteland 2, concerned that it would be too modernised, but then I visited the Kickstarter page and saw they'd put up the original Wasteland box cover art. The nostalgia hit me like a tsunami and I immediately gave them all my money.

God used to be my co-pilot, but then we crashed in the Andes and I had to eat him.

I suspect a greater proportion of PE backers have played an IE game as compared to the number of Wasteland 2 backers who have actually played Wasteland.

I played both.

I'm in that category actually, I never played the original. However I've heard a lot of good things about it, I like what I've read about it and when Wasteland 2 came up on Kickstarter I was happy to support it.

Compared to that, I played all of the IE games.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I've played them all, but I didn't enjoy them that much, especially not the IWD games. The main reason why I disliked them is mainly because of the D&D rules, I never been a fan of those being used in computer games. Planescape: Torment is the exception to this though, as you could avoid a fair chunk of combat.

This is a bit unfortunate, I remember buying BG1 back when it was released, and being super hyped about it, reading the manual about the charisma stat and being very hyped about that too. But the charisma stat doesn't really matter much in the game, and I found the combat to be dreadfully boring. Everything else was nice though, but it was really dragged down by these two things for me.

Edited by Freddo

TOEE for the combat system and Planescape: Torment for the depth and breadth of the plot and NPCs pls. Tyvm!

P.S. Dispense with the environmental particle effects from TOEE - they really loused up the framerate

PPS - Realistic looting is awesome! (By that I mean if they were wearing plate and swinging a mace, they drop plate and a mace, whatever condition) Requires choices between high-value loot and every scrap of leather armor lying on the shattered husks of your enemies.

PPPS - Salvaging? Maybe, but a detailed crafting system would probably need to be a very large stretch goal.

Bought several games made by some people in Obsidian over the years: Baldur's Gate I & II, Fallout 1, 2, 3, NV, Icewind Dale, Planescape, etc. To this day, I have only finished Baldur's Gate I. All are great games, critically acclaimed just never found enough time to sit down and finish them.

I've played all the IE games through to completion at least once (way back when they were originally released). I'm currently playing a modded version of BG2 and I've a replay of Torment on hiatus. I can't wait for PE to be released. I also helped fund Shadowrun and Wasteland 2 (which I haven't played, but I found a copy online).