Have you played an Infinity Engine game before?

Have you played an Infinity Engine game before donating to the Obsidian Kickstarter?  

321 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever played an Infinity Engine game before donating to the Obsidian Kickstarter?

• Yes, and I enjoy them.
    • Yes, but don't actually like them.
    • No, but I would like to have tried them.
    • No and I'm not really interested.

I haven't played them, I just want a high-quality, engrossing, massive (in terms of story and quality of characters) RPG, and I'm pretty sure Obsidian can deliver. Especially when they're not being subjected to the whip of a bunch of arbitrary sadists (aka publishers).

The Kickstarter mentioning the possibility of franchising, and keeping our character from game to game, just gives me shivers. That's the kind of stupidly big game (..set of games) I really want to play.

I finished them all except IWD 2 and ToB; ToB because the combat got a tad dull and IWD 2 because the game felt a little soulless and shallow, despite the additional combat options.

The Targos Docks theme, though... ooh baby... my eyes are watering.

Edited by Jasede

The Kickstarter mentioning the possibility of franchising, and keeping our character from game to game, just gives me shivers. That's the kind of stupidly big game (..set of games) I really want to play.

...once apon a time, BIOweenia promised that yer SoA/ToB character was gonna be importable ta NeverWorkin'Right...dunna believe the hype...

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

I have the Dungeons and Dragons Anthology: The Master Collection (which has BG 1 and 2, IWD 1 and 2, TOEE, and PS:T) so far, I've tried BG 1 and didn't like it at all, am slowly plodding through IWD 1, TOEE (that art is amazing!) and PS: T. I am trying to beat at least one of them before PE comes out.

Overall, based on the short amount of time I've spent with each, I like PS:T the best. IWD takes a bit of getting used to (and I don't really feel a connection to the characters) and TOEE's graphics are very pretty.

So far, I'd say they're a mixed bag with me. I haven't played a CRPG in a long time, though. I think the last one I played was either Beyond Divinity or Heretic Kingdoms: The Inquisition, and they were both fun even though combat often amounted to "spam this uber powerful spell! SPAM IT!"

Edited by RosesandAshes
image-163149-full.jpg?1348680770

...once apon a time, BIOweenia promised that yer SoA/ToB character was gonna be importable ta NeverWorkin'Right...dunna believe the hype...

I actually remember that as well. I was much younger then.

I imagined NWN would be this never-ending grand adventure where I could import my characters from module to module, experiencing all sorts of wonders.

Well, that was a bust.

Edited by Jasede

Also, why would anyone be here if they had not?

Believe it or not, Obsidian did make some fans with Kotor2 and FNV.

Myself, I played BG1/expansion, Icewind Dale, part of BG2. Bought Planescape Torment based on the fact I enjoyed the former, but didn't get past the beginning because by then I was moving towards the RTS genre. Meant to go back to PT but never did. Never played the original Fallouts (or Fallout3 for that matter ... I bought FNV largely because it was Obsidian and ended up loving it).

So yeah...mostly I'm a fan of Obsidian itself, for their writing/character style, their rpg ideals and goals. I likely would have donated even if they were making a game that didn't interest me...only I would have donated a lot less. ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

...by the sounds o' things, lad, ya dunna like BG as much as ya like munchkinizin' it... :getlost:

Or, I love BG BECAUSE I love munchkinizing. The beauty of BG1/2 is that they were BOTH story/character heavy rpgs that also had fantastic dungeon crawls with a versatile rpg system.

Edited by Shevek

...by the sounds o' things, lad, ya dunna like BG as much as ya like munchkinizin' it... :getlost:

Or, I love BG BECAUSE I love munchkinizing. The beauty of BG1/2 is that they were BOTH story/character heavy rpgs that also had fantastic dungeon crawls with a versatile rpg system.

...SoA was story/character heavy ??...musta missed that part...powerhungry munchkinizin', now I can see that...are ya sure yer talkin' 'bout the right game??... :skeptical:

...SoA was story/character heavy ??...musta missed that part...powerhungry munchkinizin', now I can see that...are ya sure yer talkin' 'bout the right game??... :skeptical:

Ya, I'm sure.

Ya, I'm sure.

...lad, no offence, but if'n ya considers SoA/ToB story/character heavy, please pick up a copy o' Planescape: Torment...makes the Bhaalspawn saga seem like Dr. Seuss... :yes:

• Like 1

I bought and played all of them when they were released and finished the BG series and IWD + expansions multiple times throughout the years. Haven't finished Torment or IWD2 yet, but I'm sure I will eventually. I'm playing IWD2 now and got a PS:T savegame from last year where (I'm pretty sure) I am over halfway through the game, and it's just a matter of picking that up again and finishing it. I can't really put my finger on what has made it so difficult to finish -- love the story and the setting, don't mind the amount of text, etc.

The original IWD is the IE game that has gotten the most playthroughs from me, and is IMO overall a much stronger game than BG1 and in some ways better than BG2 as well. The art, the dungeons, the pacing, the story -- all of it was just incredibly well put together and with a (seemingly) very clear vision of what type of game they wanted to make.

Edited by Lorfean

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

Ya, I'm sure.

...lad, no offence, but if'n ya considers SoA/ToB story/character heavy, please pick up a copy o' Planescape: Torment...makes the Bhaalspawn saga seem like Dr. Seuss... :yes:

No offense taken.

Anywho, this thread insn't about what the best IE game is as far as story goes. It is about what IE games people have played.

I did say that BG1/2 with its XPACs all combined was the ultimate crpg experience. That includes more than just story but you can take that anyway you like.

Ya, Torment's story is very good. I tend to replay BG1/2 though.

I didn't particularly like IWD2 or BG1, but I loved PS:T and BG2 and FO and FO2 and liked IWD. IWD2 just went too far in terms of being only about combat. Many of the battles were still quite enjoyable, but I lose interest about 20% in and have never liked the first big battle. IWD was a bit more balanced, but it was still too much about combat and I have never been able to finish it. Been halfway through lots of times though and always enjoy it up until the point where I get bored. BG1 was not Black Isle's fault and I can't really explain why I have never been able to get into it. Perhaps the start of the game is too difficult. Like the IE engine though and still think great games could be made with it. Too bad EA is going to hoard the license forever. It should be released as open source.

There is a certain point in terms of dated graphics where I have a great deal of trouble playing a game these days. The last few Might and Magic games are just below that point for me. BG1 is right at that point. All the rest of the IE games are just above that point. Every time I replay BG2 I think about how surprisingly good the graphics and character models are. Although I like eye candy as much as anyone else and really enjoy photorealism and intensely detailed bump mapped character models, graphics at the level of IWD2 and BG2 are 100% adequate for me.

Edited by metiman

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

I have the Dungeons and Dragons Anthology: The Master Collection (which has BG 1 and 2, IWD 1 and 2, TOEE, and PS:T) so far, I've tried BG 1 and didn't like it at all, am slowly plodding through IWD 1, TOEE (that art is amazing!) and PS: T. I am trying to beat at least one of them before PE comes out.

Overall, based on the short amount of time I've spent with each, I like PS:T the best. IWD takes a bit of getting used to (and I don't really feel a connection to the characters) and TOEE's graphics are very pretty.

So far, I'd say they're a mixed bag with me. I haven't played a CRPG in a long time, though. I think the last one I played was either Beyond Divinity or Heretic Kingdoms: The Inquisition, and they were both fun even though combat often amounted to "spam this uber powerful spell! SPAM IT!"

Definitely try BG2 instead of BG1. Strangely that is the order I would recommend anyone play them. Once you've played through BG2 including ToB you will be much more inclined to forgive BG1's faults. BG2 is nearly tied with PS:T as one of my all time favorite games, but I could never get far into BG1 at all before quitting even though I have played through BG2ToB probably something like 50 times.

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

I played the Baldur’s Gate series and Planescape: Torment for the first time last year thanks to GOG.com. Baldur’s Gate didn’t really grab me, but I loved the sequel from the moment I started playing. To be honest, I don’t bear the love that other posters have for the Infinity Engine; with the exception of Planescape: Torment, which is one of my all-time favourites, I prefer the Fallout/Arcanum games. Project: Eternity is still my most anticipated Kickstarter, though.

Also, why would anyone be here if they had not?

I was quite busy with school and work during that period and missed out on all the games released during the 1990s and 2000s.

Recently had a chance to play Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines and loved it, and Fallout: New Vegas is another of my all time favorites, so I pledged because I'm quite certain this team has the chops to make a brilliant RPG. Alpha Protocol and KOTOR 2 were also great games.

I did purchase Baldur's Gate 1&2 from GOG.com a few months ago, but I had a lot of trouble trying to figure out how to install it with the bgtutu or easytutu, etc., whatever those mods are called, and finally I gave up. Perhaps I'll try the enhanced edition whenever it is released.

Edited by IcyDeadPeople

I played the Baldur's Gate games obsessively back when they came out. As such, I also got IWD and Torment, but I never really got into them at the time. Years later I gave them another chance and found them much more enjoyable (especially Torment which blew my mind once I got into it).