PA Report about Eternity and Brennecke - new concept art

She looks awfully too heavily armored to be a character wielding a rifle in my opinion. It just looks so strange and unpractical.

Some history buff will likely correct me in one way or another but I think platemail+firearms wasn't a horribly uncommon thing in the transitional era between platemail-clad knights and musket-wielding, lightly armored squares of foot infantry. This was mostly because the firearms of that era really sucked and plate armor was still somewhat useful against them.

She looks awfully too heavily armored to be a character wielding a rifle in my opinion. It just looks so strange and unpractical.

I was thinking the same. It must be awful impractical to shoot a gun like that while wearing a full suit of platemail.

:closed:

Codpieces!

Making these sorts of assumptions about armor using museum armor is a common mistake. Suddenly, one or two codpieces made by fancy lords can be thought as a common thing.

You have to understand something when you are seeing armor like that - most of the armor we can check at museums was made for kings and rulers and brought to them as gifts. These suits were gathering dust in their treasures for hundreds of years without any chance of actually being used in combat.

Not that they were't meant for it completely, a lot of ornamented and beautifully made armor, even from later ages, probably can serve perfectly fine as real armor would and anyone from those times would easely trust it their life. But you have to put things in a bigger perspective. Generally in combat, everything which is made to show off or sticks from armor too far, like horns or alike, would be the first thing getting cut away. Even today people who like to kick each other with metal sticks often go for the guy in the most fashionable equipment if they are given an option.

Remember that this game is not situated in historical Europe but (edit: probably) some sort of a high-fantasy pseudo-late-medieval world. With D&D-style adventuring parties running around the countryside killing kobolds or whatever.

While you wouldn't expect to see wangmail or boobplate in army vs army combat, it wouldn't surprise me at all to have adventurers occasionally running around in these things. Because adventurers can be eccentric like that.

Still probably not very common though.

Edited by RiceMunk

Actually its more historically accurate than you think as plate and firearms developed together. Read up on Demi-Lancers who wore plate on horseback and wielded pistols. The Musketeers also wore plate cuirasses and was a deciding factor in some battles.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Some history buff will likely correct me in one way or another but I think platemail+firearms wasn't a horribly uncommon thing in the transitional era between platemail-clad knights and musket-wielding, lightly armored squares of foot infantry. This was mostly because the firearms of that era really sucked and plate armor was still somewhat useful against them.

Indeed, except that the wearing of plate didn't stop even after then, it was just relegated to chest and head more.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Actually its more historically accurate than you think as plate and firearms developed together. Read up on Demi-Lancers who wore plate on horseback and wielded pistols. The Musketeers also wore plate cuirasses and was a deciding factor in some battles.

The Spanish Konquistadors wore Cuirasses and wielded pistols/muskets for example. But a cuirass is not the same as a full suit of plate mail.

With D&D-style adventuring parties running around the countryside killing kobolds or whatever.

We are not sure about that yet. For what we know, our adventuring party gathered not because they wanted TO ADVENTURE, but because of some special event.

Also, I don't buy into explaining ridiculous stuff with other ridiculous tropy stuff. Maybe in D&D they have Adventure Parties, Adventure Academies, Adventure Guilds and they can act stupid because they are ADVENTURING and such, but usually you do not gather onto a life-changing trip with possible death at the end just because OF ADVENTURE.

The Spanish Konquistadors wore Cuirasses and wielded pistols/muskets for example. But a cuirass is not the same as a full suit of plate mail.

You're currently a little too far in history. (Or am I misremembering which time period Eternity takes as model?)

Edited by C2B

She is carrying a muskat which has limited use. This is a fantasy game and I hope it doesn't try to clone Europe. I really would like a unique world. In fantasy artistic license should be allowed. Actually it should be expected. I don't like it when I see women treated as primarily sex objects whether in a fantasy game or in real life but there is nothing wrong with portraying them as women. I do not find the orginal armour in any way offensive.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

For me, the main problem is not the armor itself, but how she is gonna fire her gun with her armor-clad fingers.

obsidian-shield.jpg

With D&D-style adventuring parties running around the countryside killing kobolds or whatever.

We are not sure about that yet. For what we know, our adventuring party gathered not because they wanted TO ADVENTURE, but because of some special event.

Also, I don't buy into explaining ridiculous stuff with other ridiculous tropy stuff. Maybe in D&D they have Adventure Parties, Adventure Academies, Adventure Guilds and they can act stupid because they are ADVENTURING and such, but usually you do not gather onto a life-changing trip with possible death at the end just because OF ADVENTURE.

The existence of the new 5000-dollar backer tier with its enemy adventuring companies strongly hints at the existence of a "culture" of adventuring parties/companies running around the countryside, doing their adventuring thing.

As for whether adventuring parties would go for the "trophy stuff" instead of practicality is a matter that boils down to the age-old debate of the Rule of Cool vs. realism in stuff like this. I tend to favour moderate amounts of the Rule of Cool in favour over realism when it comes down to that choice but I can respect your opinion if you prefer the opposite.

For me, the main problem is not the armor itself, but how she is gonna fire her gun with her armor-clad fingers.

Yeah, noticed that too. Maybe someone can offer an explanation?

It was done. Can't remember if it required special gauntlets or not but they managed it. Also remember that the triggers wouldn't be as small as modern weapons and guns were not very...accurate then.

Edited by FlintlockJazz

True, but it shows that plate was still of use as late as then which is later than PE is technological set. The pic could fit in for late medieval fine I say, plus it just looks cool! :D

My main sentiment is that she's wearing a full plate while wielding a gun and a shield. The combination is mind boggling.

She should lose more plate pieces while retaining her breastplate, carry satchels for gun powder and ammunition, a close combat weapon like a hand held axe.

The concept art at the moment is just so unbelievably impractical.

That could be a blunderbuss.

Also, please fix that chainmail ;-P

Edair has the same, actually. Did people notice it before?

Is it maybe something intentional?

Yeah, it's much more noticable in Cadegund's case though.

Maybe it is, but I suspect it might be the artist's idea of a chainmail ;)

Edited by Karranthain

It's not the worst boobplate I've seen (not by far), and I do like the general design otherwise. She's actually wearing full armor, and looks like a real warrior! That alone makes me almost completely forgive the 'metal bra' look. The redesign shown above, though, is (I feel) much better and more accurate- if accuracy is what you're going for. If 'fantastical' or 'decorative' is more what you're going for, then metallic accentuations of the female form are just fine.

With regards to 'would she fit under that?' in the redesign: Unless she was very large-chested, yes, easily. If she was very large-chested, the top might need to have a bit more space, and thus a bit more taper to the waist, but 'boob shapes' would never be necessary. It's not just the padding that's going on under these armors, it's the bra (or wrap). Seriously- do those of you that think boobplates are necessary have any idea how sports bras work? The honest-to-goodness, REAL sports bras, that do their best to utterly flatten your chest and keep the breasts as immobile as possible? Even if sports bras aren't 'historical', women have wrapped their breasts to flatten them (for one reason or another) since... um, probably 'ever'. Breasts are very malleable (unless you've had certain types of augmentation done). They do not need to be carefully cupped or held within conical protrusions. They can be flattened and spread out quite a lot with absolutely zero discomfort. Cover with padding and your typical (historical) plate armored top would have no problem fitting over most female forms as easily as most male forms.

I've seen it. I've experienced it. As for this game, I'm not one to demand utter realism in a fantasy game. I'm used to my character's gender being a very visible part of her armor, but as long as she still looks strong and kickass even with a metal bra on, I'll be quite happy.

• Like 1

You can see plate gauntlet and armor on fingers only covering extern part of the hand, the inside is probably thin leather which is preferable for holding weapon more tightly. She probably would use a paper capsule with gunpowder of some sort, and everything else I think can be done with gloves on. If weapon have large moving parts and is fit for using in gloves, would there be a problem?

Also remember that the triggers wouldn't be as small as modern weapons

What triggers? There's that lever which you put burning cord in, move a lever, cord hits powder, and gun shoots. Were there even triggers before serpentine locks?

But I kinda suck at history of those kind of weapons.

Edited by Shadenuat

What triggers? There's that lever which you put burning cord in, move a lever, cord hits powder, and gun shoots. Were there even triggers before serpentine locks?

Sawyer said that the firearms in the game will be wheellocked and not matchlocked.

You can see plate gauntlet and armor on fingers only covering extern part of the hand, the inside is probably thin leather which is preferable for holding weapon more tightly. She probably would use a paper capsule with gunpowder of some sort, and everything else I think can be done with gloves on. If weapon have large moving parts and is fit for using in gloves, would there be a problem?

True, the game is supposed to use wheellocks though which were different but I honestly am quite vague on the workings of wheellocks in particular except that they were quite complicated. :D