PA Report about Eternity and Brennecke - new concept art

I like the IWD art style a bit more. That older dwarf pic had an art style closer to that and it looked pretty great. These images seem good from a design standpoint (as in figuring out what the armor should look like, etc) but I would hope for more artistic flair for the in game portraits, etc.

I still don't understand where did the other parth of cuirass go, and how the plate skirt, if it's a skirt, actually holds without it. Also, I just noticed how the shield actually connects to her body. I am not sure if it's the right way of carrying a shield on your back, at least not how I've seen people carrying their shields if they use one. I think you would want to either have a single strap which goes diagonally around your torso, or maybe two like on a backpack. That allows you to easy get it off and defend yourself. With that kind a system Cadegund has, I think she'd need someone's help to actually remove shield from her back, cause it won't be easy to unlock all the metal clasps etc.

Yeah, nitpicking. This picture is better than the old one.

The straps holding the shield to her look like belts to me. Seems like they'd come off like a belt around the waist would. Still not quick, but she wouldn't need anyone else to remove it. Please correct me if I'm being foolish or blind again.

Edited by Wirdjos

I like the IWD art style a bit more. That older dwarf pic had an art style closer to that and it looked pretty great. These images seem good from a design standpoint (as in figuring out what the armor should look like, etc) but I would hope for more artistic flair for the in game portraits, etc.

Did you take alook at the link someone posted to the artists website? There is one character development panel that shows several different options and a finished rendering. We might get a different art style for the game , but this is largely process driven.

Also, I really would prefer if they develop here own art style for this game. re-treading old ground is not what I would prefer as much as I liked IWD

Edited by curryinahurry

In their defense, from the original design and the utter lack of skin i don't think this particular instance of boob-plate was meant for titillation at all but was a result of a genuine misconception as to the requirements of female armor. Many people genuinely don't realize how far off from the body a breast plate sits and how much padding is placed between it and your skin.

I'm liking the designs so far but do hope we see something more exotic/fantastic later.

This is a fantasy game, but speaking strictly about what happens in the real world, this almost never happens. Women who wind up wearing armor do need sizing that accounts for their (typically) smaller size and (typically) different body shape, but it pretty much has the same form factor and function as what the men wear. In most cases, it is literally the exact same thing the men wear.

How very unfair bringing the real world into play. :(

But yeah, that's military where women generally speaking don't feel the need to emphasize their femininity,

but rather their businesslike effectiveness. Certainly the military paying for the stuff would like practicality first.

The real world counterpart for medieval warrior women who are an accepted part of society - just plain doesnt' exist.

So I'd rather point towards the codpiece in medieval armor, now some of those are functional parts of the costume,

but the enormous ones are just for show. To my knowledge, particularly the mercenaries already living on the edges

of society, would have these just for shock value (some had their coin purse stashed there).

Now I'm not particularly fond of seeing codpiece in Eternity, nor boob plates.

But if they are in the game, they should be on the kind of characters who'd like to flaunt,

or who's employer or armourer is of certain kind.

Oh yea, I like the edited picture better..

Edited by Jarmo

I still don't understand where did the other parth of cuirass go, and how the plate skirt, if it's a skirt, actually holds without it. Also, I just noticed how the shield actually connects to her body. I am not sure if it's the right way of carrying a shield on your back, at least not how I've seen people carrying their shields if they use one. I think you would want to either have a single strap which goes diagonally around your torso, or maybe two like on a backpack. That allows you to easy get it off and defend yourself. With that kind a system Cadegund has, I think she'd need someone's help to actually remove shield from her back, cause it won't be easy to unlock all the metal clasps etc.

Yeah, nitpicking. This picture is better than the old one.

If we're nitpicking, I'd also like to point out that the chainmail underneath the plate looks really off - as in not like chainmail at all ;)

I like the edit more, though.

Now I have to wonder if they were intentionally testing for feedback.

"Okay, lots of people say they dislike boobplate, but how do they really feel?"

For some reason going back in forth between the two, i keep getting vibes that this one actually feels like the original, the other an edit. I dunno why. It just fits together better.

I was thinking the same thing, something about how the boobplate was drawn just didn't seem to fit the rest of the drawing which was actually what was irritating me the most. It seemed too distorted.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Love the new look on the breastplate. Not a breast plate anymore.

Now the sketch looks just perfect. :)

Though, reading the arguments in this thread, I have to concede that there may exist real arguments in support of why boobplate might in some cases be a perfectly logical, albeit somewhat impractical, choice of armor for a person. Those reasons being the same why historical platemail occasionally had ridiculous codpieces on it.

Sometimes plate armor is not there just for protection but also for showing off (exaggerating?) certain... characteristics of the person wearing it. In a society (unlike late-medieval Europe, where most of this stuff gets its inspiration from) where a warrior woman is not an uncommon thing, I wouldn't be any more surprised to see the occasional piece of exaggerated boobplate as I would to see the occasional ridiculous wangmail.

If we're nitpicking, I'd also like to point out that the chainmail underneath the plate looks really off - as in not like chainmail at all ;)

Yeah the mail just sucks. It does't look like one and does't behave line one either.

Codpieces!

Making these sorts of assumptions about armor using museum armor is a common mistake. Suddenly, one or two codpieces made by fancy lords can be thought as a common thing.

You have to understand something when you are seeing armor like that - most of the armor we can check at museums was made for kings and rulers and brought to them as gifts. These suits were gathering dust in their treasures for hundreds of years without any chance of actually being used in combat.

Not that they were't meant for it completely, a lot of ornamented and beautifully made armor, even from later ages, probably can serve perfectly fine as real armor would and anyone from those times would easely trust it their life. But you have to put things in a bigger perspective. Generally in combat, everything which is made to show off or sticks from armor too far, like horns or alike, would be the first thing getting cut away. Even today people who like to kick each other with metal sticks often go for the guy in the most fashionable equipment if they are given an option.