For RP/customization sake, please allow us to keep the same "armor/weapon" look if we want for new euqipment.

Btw why are people asking for so much dress-up options when the first mod they'll download will be the 'nude mod'(followed of course by the 'dragon/horse **** mod')? :banghead::shifty:

It's not a lot of options we are asking for, but a simple UI toggle element or some form to take an already existing model and use it in place of another model.

But this is entirely pointless. Armours have certain look to allow player to know which armour is everyone wearing. It would make as much point as making a tank look like a Jeep because Jeeps are pretty. You can't use MMO argument since it makes sense in MMO because other people look at you and you want them to praise your sense of aesthetic. Nobody look at your character when you are playing single-player RPG besides your girlfriend/siblings and they shouldn't be too picky.

Maybe you missed it earlier in the thread but it applies to things of the same type only.

So you could only change the "look" of a piece of plate armor with another piece of plate armor, or a greatsword with another greatsword, you wouldn't be able to change the type of item, IE changing cloth to a plat earmor look or a dagger into an axe. That would create problems animation wise and other things.

Why are you talking about police and groups? In most rpgs the main character/hero isn't part of any "group" or uniformed army but rather on their own adventure and they wear whatever they wish.

Even if you were, I would think this idea would help you and not harm you. I mean think about it, if there are "Faction" armors or uniforms, you will likely find things better then that and then would have to either keep that old faction armor in your inventory taking up space if you wish to use it again for some reason (IE story elements where it would look more fitting) or just get rid of it and wear something outside of that faction armor look that you might like or it might fit within that storyline better.

There are tabbards for that.

you know..rhose robe-like things that have insignia that are worn over the armor.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

I see more and more topics going about looks, etc... that's not what made old games great, in fact you had no choice on the look of those items at all... and they are still best games made up to this date.

Such things just would eat up _VERY LIMITED_ resources on something useless from the game play and narrative perspective...

Leave such things in modders' hands or for after the release DLC packs.

It's not a game budget of 10-15 mln, but around 3 to 5, depending how much reserve Obs is willing to put into it if they will meet some development/technical difficulties.

This game is scheduled to be in production for 1,5 year, that's 18 months of salary and other overhead expenses... I think that people do not realize within what budget the game is to be made... 3 mln is a peanut...

Concentrate on game mechanics first, then go through some general lore and design of magic and combat system, then discuss region specific lore and some major kingdoms and factions. Then leave the team to work on NPCs and story within the world design...

Things like "lets have modable skirts" is just not a discussion for this time, when so much more important things need to be settled first, which will drive the main resource consumption...

Edited by Darkpriest
  • Like 1

Is it that hard for you to post without being so disrespectful to people and to use such knee jerk reactions?

You are beign disrispectfull to the developers.

I am not expecting to look "EXACTLY HOW I ENVISION" or think the developers must do this or anything. I am just suggesting to allow us to wearing armor that they put into the game and be able to make the choice to keep that "look" if we like it instead of having to drop it for a better stat item of the same type.

THEN WEAR IT.

Or drop it.

Stop trying to avoid the obvious choice. Deal with it like man.

hate this idea, it takes all the roleplaying out and substitutes in some dress up options.

"my good paladin would not wear evil looking armor, but this new plate i just found is made from black dragon scales and has evil markings of Yog Sothoth carved into it. Good thing i have this handy magic button that makes this new plate armor look exactly like Noble Griffindor Plate of Holiness so no one will know i secretly am wearing evil armor because i want the + to my melee damage."

if your character wouldnt wear evil looking plate mail, don't wear it. stand by your own convictions. if your character is super vain and just doesnt like a better armor option because "this one is ugly" then maybe your character isn't cut out to be an adventurer...

edit: "but its a single player game, who cares?" I care. it cheapens the experience for everyone by removing verisimilitude in order to pander to vanity

edit 2: i would not care if this was a separate download, like a mod. i guess i would grudgingly accept it if it was an actual toggle option buried deep beneath a dozen sub menus. so far down the well of options that it shall nary see the light of day but for the determined toil of a hundred clicks.

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I can tell with 100% certanity that 3 million is a peanut.

You wouldn't believe how much goes for salaries and general expenses (taxes, space rent, mantainance, etc..)

3 million for a company of 30 poeple is pocket change.

Btw why are people asking for so much dress-up options when the first mod they'll download will be the 'nude mod'(followed of course by the 'dragon/horse **** mod')? :banghead::shifty:

It's not a lot of options we are asking for, but a simple UI toggle element or some form to take an already existing model and use it in place of another model.

But this is entirely pointless. Armours have certain look to allow player to know which armour is everyone wearing. It would make as much point as making a tank look like a Jeep because Jeeps are pretty. You can't use MMO argument since it makes sense in MMO because other people look at you and you want them to praise your sense of aesthetic. Nobody look at your character when you are playing single-player RPG besides your girlfriend/siblings and they shouldn't be too picky.

Maybe you missed it earlier in the thread but it applies to things of the same type only.

So you could only change the "look" of a piece of plate armor with another piece of plate armor, or a greatsword with another greatsword, you wouldn't be able to change the type of item, IE changing cloth to a plat earmor look or a dagger into an axe. That would create problems animation wise and other things.

This still makes no sense for RPG purposes. If you really want that for RPG purposes than do not change your Armor. Take the malus. Armor does not get stronger only becasue you leveled up. If you want to keep your current armor than live with it.

hate this idea, it takes all the roleplaying out and substitutes in some dress up options.

"my good paladin would not wear evil looking armor, but this new plate i just found is made from black dragon scales and has evil markings of Yog Sothoth carved into it. Good thing i have this handy magic button that makes this new plate armor look exactly like Noble Griffindor Plate of Holiness so no one will know i secretly am wearing evil armor because i want the + to my melee damage."

if your character wouldnt wear evil looking plate mail, don't wear it. stand by your own convictions. if your character is super vain and just doesnt like a better armor option because "this one is ugly" then maybe your character isn't cut out to be an adventurer...

People keep saying this, have you ever TRIED it? Go ahead, play through an rpg with the starting armor/low level items, never upgrade it, see how far you get.

It's not an option "not to wear it" except within a few small levels.

Like it or not armor is something you have to upgrade (Within reason) in rpgs, you can't just "not wear" armor you don't like if it's a lot better, especially if you are playing on the harder difficulty.

How is it taking the roleplaying out? To me it seems to be doing the opposite. Your paladin for example.

Instead of being able to upgrade his "paladin" armor which fits his character you instead are FORCED to wear the "black/evil" looking armor or to have to be extremely underpowered and constantly dying to higher diffculty/level enemies that drop you fast because your armor is underleveled for that point in the game.

MEanwhile if you had this ability, you could "keep" the look of your paladin and not be forced to wear items that is out of character for him, BUT you wouldn't be "underpowered" or penalized for doing so.

I'm not going through the entire thread, but has anyone mentioned you could pick the color palettes back then?

Yes, I made a cursory mention, and probably someone else did too. And that did help, though it didn't change things like actual plate color--which also made sense. In fact the color palettes that I remember in BG seemed mostly limited to the trim.

I honestly think that was one advantage of the old BG1-BG2 itemization; armours were very limited, especially in BG1, where you might find one +1 full plate (-1 AC) in the entire game, one full plate (AC 0) and 1-2 breastplates (AC 1), and scale mail at AC 2-3 or whatever... Because the overall spread was small, that meant replacing one piece of gear for another on a sprite didn't create a huge mechanics deficit.

There were two mage robe models I remember in particular: one for the 'sexy seductress sorceress' and the hooded archmage robe; I do confess to changing all my female mages to the hooded archmage robe because I thought it looked better. But the bonus differences were quite minor (excepting the very special robes like Robe of Vecna, etc.).

For PE, it would be nice if there was a large design spread, cultural and otherwise, for given tiers of gear, but the base bonus spread of gear was narrow, with character progression relying on primarily character skills and class bonuses. Then.. some kind of external crafting whatever could add customized magical bonuses (dunno about that bit, discussion is better in the crafting threads).

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

People keep saying this, have you ever TRIED it? Go ahead, play through an rpg with the starting armor/low level items, never upgrade it, see how far you get.

Like it or not armor is something you have to upgrade (Within reason) in rpgs, you can't just "not wear" armor you don't like if it's a lot better, especially if you are playing on the harder difficulty.

How is it taking the roleplaying out? To me it seems to be doing the opposite. Your paladin for example.

Instead of being able to upgrade his "paladin" armor which fits his character you instead are FORCED to wear the "black/evil" looking armor or to have to be extremely underpowered and constantly dying to higher diffculty/level enemies that drop you fast because your armor is underleveled for that point in the game.

MEanwhile if you had this ability, you could "keep" the look of your paladin and not be forced to wear items that is out of character for him, BUT you wouldn't be "underpowered" or penalized for doing so.

If you want to be a paladin do not wear it. it is as easy as that. That is also a way to roleplay. If you do not want the very evil looking and evil armor than do not use it. Buy or find a more powerful "paladin like Armor" If you just want to wear it because it has better stats and it makes it easier than you are not true to your character anyways.

• Like 1

There are tabbards for that.

you know..rhose robe-like things that have insignia that are worn over the armor.

Tabbards! Thank you I was trying to remember the name.

I'm not going through the entire thread, but has anyone mentioned you could pick the color palettes back then?

As I recall, some armor wouldn't take the color you picked on the color palette. Also some armors would reverse the major/minor color back in the IE Engine days.

I know I mentioned in another thread the possibility of crafting required to fit clothes / armor (for size & body differences) (which wasn't a liked idea) and in that said it could also be used to customize armor further. I think we all recognize some desire to customize the PC (to greater or lesser degrees). Being able to wear a Tabbard over armor could allow that for some players, I think.

Mind you no matter how much customization of appearance is put in, there will probably be someone or some group who wants more.

I'll be happy with whatever Obsidan comes up with, I'm sure, since ultimately its - for me at least - a very minor part of the game.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Is there any game where you had to wear "evil armour" to succeed? Are Paladins really suppose to care about their looks that much? If evil armour less evil if you paint it white? Why do you even care what your character looks like? Paladins probably won't be included in the game.

Is there any game where you had to wear "evil armour" to succeed? Are Paladins really suppose to care about their looks that much? If evil armour less evil if you paint it white? Why do you even care what your character looks like? Paladins probably won't be included in the game.

In many rpgs the higher lv armor could have "spikes/skull" motif's on higher lv armor (Because to many people that look is "Cool.").

The Paladin was his example, I was merely using it as a reverse point of how it would likely play out in an rpg.

This could make an interesting quest or choice. Either wear it and abandon all your principles to fight the evil with evil or stay strong and chose the harder route to fight against the evil XD

Which even could unlock a total new class like darkknight or so.

Edited by Darji

This isn't dress up. Christ.

I don't think people want to play dress-up.

I do think people like to be able to give their characters a "certain look" when they create them to greater or lesser degrees.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

A pala should be struck with erectile dysfunction if he tries to touch an evil piece of armor.

Perhaps a solution to the annoying romance problem...

• Like 1

This isn't dress up. Christ.

I don't think people want to play dress-up.

I do think people like to be able to give their characters a "certain look" when they create them to greater or lesser degrees.

That was one of the huge problems DA2 had and a reason why so many people complained. So if you want to do that go and play DA2.