For RP/customization sake, please allow us to keep the same "armor/weapon" look if we want for new euqipment.

I don't like pickles so when I order food at restaurants I don't get pickles. But I don't take offense to restaurants serving pickles because I know other people like them.

Unfortunately the restaurant you've just entered is called Josh's Pickles.

i'm sorry, but you lost me. that makes no sense.

How does how you look not have anything to do with role playing? It's Live Action Role Playing for a reason.

Role-playing is not playing dress-up. It's about stats, not about looks.

If you want to roleplay as Gandalf, would you not want to >look< like gandalf?

You CAN'T play Gandalf (or some specific character), unless the game specifically casts you as Gandalf (that specific character). If you're playing it in "your head", then keep it there. If in your mind some random character you created is Gandalf then you can just imagine he's wearing his clothes as well.

Or, if you think that the character you created should wear THIS but definitely not THAT, RPGs are not for you and you're the cause of the decline.

I dont' see how if it's "live action" role playing means what you look like matters but "Computer" role playing what you look like means nothing all of the sudden.

Because, in real life someone actually sees you. In a computer game, nobody does. And if you think the people in the game care what you wear, you have serious troubles. Similarly, if you only play games to look cool and make screenshots to show to others, then again, please leave RPGs alone and play some dress-up game or something.

RPGs are not about satisfying every little disturbed fantasy of everybody out there. Why can't people just leave them alone and go play Bioware dating-sims/dress-up games?

RPG = stats.

RPG =/= hats

recent good rpgs like Dragon age: O and Witcher, etc.

:rolleyes:

Also in case you really aren't capable of grasping it:

games=about gameplay

playing dress up=visuals

stats=part of gameplay and SOLE mean of role playing because they are the SOLE mean to determining the role of a character(what it can/cannot be) via gameplay.

LARPing=no gameplay involved

Therefore LARPing in cRPGs is inherently inferior to proper role playing. :shifty:

do you seriously think it would take any significant resources to implement this? If it does, I would agree it shouldn't be included. As I've said over and over.

Any time spent on unnecessary Bethesdian style nonsense is significant time. Also, it worries me less about Obsidian actually doing this than it does the amount of people desiring it. You're like this stain I can't get off my nicest jacket.

so I like one thing you don't. your opinion means more than mine because....why exactly?

Edited by ogrezilla

and I'm the cause of the decline for rpgs?

If you're equally or more concerned with playing dress-up and house than you are actually playing the game then yes. Yes you are a part of that grand decline.

I do not value this above ANY Gameplay drawback, I would put gameplay, dialogue, storyline far ahead of it.

However to me, it seems like a VERY simple, very non-time consuming thing that could be done and allow for (some of us) the ability to control more how our character looks, which I do care about (but not as much as other things as mentioned above).

We dont know that it would be trivial to implement ... but i do know that this is the kind ARPG/MMOG element that breaks immersion for me because there's no semi realistic way to justify it, unless there is a crafting system.

did it bother you that you could change the color of your clothes at any time in the old IE games? This is basically just an expansion of that mechanic.

Edited by ogrezilla

We dont know that it would be trivial to implement ... but i do know that this is the kind ARPG/MMOG element that breaks immersion for me because Were no semi realistic way to justify it, unless there is a crafting system.

did it bother you that you could change the color of your clothes at any time in the old IE games? This is basically just an expansion of that mechanic.

In a word, yes.

this type of thing already existed in the old IE games. I could change the color of my things at any time. No in game reasoning for why. I just could. I used it to make my members who were equipped similarly look different enough to pick out at a glance. I would use this system in a similar way.

We dont know that it would be trivial to implement ... but i do know that this is the kind ARPG/MMOG element that breaks immersion for me because Were no semi realistic way to justify it, unless there is a crafting system.

In a word, yes.

fair enough, at least you are consistent. No offense, but I really hope at least that is still there. I hate when my party all look too much alike that I can't tell them apart at a glance.

Edited by ogrezilla

I don't like pickles so when I order food at restaurants I don't get pickles. But I don't take offense to restaurants serving pickles because I know other people like them.

You are clamoring for stupid non-crpg features for a game that is purporting to be a classical crpg.

Say no to popamole!

this type of thing already existed in the old IE games. I could change the color of my things at any time. No in game reasoning for why. I just could. I used it to make my members who were equipped similarly look different enough to pick out at a glance. I would use this system in a similar way.

BG had? That's one dumb function I hope they do not resurrect.

Say no to popamole!

You are clamoring for stupid non-crpg features for a game that is purporting to be a classical crpg.

no I'm not. this is a game largely built around creating and shaping a character how I want to. This is a mechanic to allow me to do that. And its a mechanic that isn't that far off from one that already existed in the classical crpg's you are talking about.

It's not as if that stuff had much useful utility beyond discerning the difference between your sprites anyway. If that's all we're talking about here I think it's safe to say the game will have this as all classics did. But anything beyond this is just silly.

that's pretty much all this would be. A way to differentiate the look of our sprites.

Edited by ogrezilla

no I'm not. this is a game largely built around creating and shaping a character how I want to. This is a mechanic to allow me to do that. And its a mechanic that isn't that far off from one that already existed in the classical crpg's you are talking about.

As I have mentioned if it was in BG it was dumb. It certainly was not in Fallout or Arcanum.

Say no to popamole!

:rolleyes:

Also in case you really aren't capable of grasping it:

games=about gameplay

playing dress up=visuals

stats=part of gameplay and SOLE mean of role playing because they are the SOLE mean to determining the role of a character(what it can/cannot be) via gameplay.

LARPing=no gameplay involved

Therefore LARPing in cRPGs is inherently inferior to proper role playing. :shifty:

Oi, don't make me come over there and bash you over the head! LARPing has plenty of gameplay involved, and is proper roleplaying, I'm not sure how it's relevant to cRPGs but it's not just about dress up. When you get whacked over the head by a rubber sword one too many times you'll start realising that there's some skill involved.

Edited by FlintlockJazz

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

That's true that a PnP game is largely in the head, but what about found objects? If there is armor with associated factions, then wearing that armor should cause a certain reaction to your character, no?

I guess I'm thinking of how Obsidian handled faction armor in Fallout New Vegas, what you wore could have serious consequences and I'd like to see a similar system in this game.

If people really want to alter their character's appearance, then hopefully a modding toolkit will be available, or the meshes and textures will be alterable with overrides (sort of like Skyrim does it).

That's easy enough to fix. Just have them react to the displayed armor. In fact, I would argue that doing it that way is better because it let's display your aliegence to a faction even if their default armor doesn't fit your play style.

No Chief Inspector, I will not wear the standard issue uniform, it does not match my unique sense of style. I mean black and white with a yellow reflex vest, really? Do you have something matching with my eyes?

Quite the reverse, actually. It would be more like going "Hey Chief Inspector, you know how you're always sending me on extra dangerous missions? Well I sprung for some better body armor for my men and my self,but don't worry I made sure it looks like the normal uniform so no one gets confused". In fact,not allowing people to set their armor's cosmetics is more likely to result in your scenario as they out level the faction armor and are forced to switch to a more effective armor of a different style.

As I have mentioned if it was in BG it was dumb. It certainly was not in Fallout or Arcanum.

ok, so this should be like the classical crpg's, but only in the ways that you like.

ok, so this should be like the classical crpg's, but only in the ways that you like.

Well of course, why would I want back the features that I hated? It boggles the mind.

Say no to popamole!

That's true that a PnP game is largely in the head, but what about found objects? If there is armor with associated factions, then wearing that armor should cause a certain reaction to your character, no?

I guess I'm thinking of how Obsidian handled faction armor in Fallout New Vegas, what you wore could have serious consequences and I'd like to see a similar system in this game.

If people really want to alter their character's appearance, then hopefully a modding toolkit will be available, or the meshes and textures will be alterable with overrides (sort of like Skyrim does it).

That's easy enough to fix. Just have them react to the displayed armor. In fact, I would argue that doing it that way is better because it let's display your aliegence to a faction even if their default armor doesn't fit your play style.

No Chief Inspector, I will not wear the standard issue uniform, it does not match my unique sense of style. I mean black and white with a yellow reflex vest, really? Do you have something matching with my eyes?

Quite the reverse, actually. It would be more like going "Hey Chief Inspector, you know how you're always sending me on extra dangerous missions? Well I sprung for some better body armor for my men and my self,but don't worry I made sure it looks like the normal uniform so no one gets confused". In fact,not allowing people to set their armor's cosmetics is more likely to result in your scenario as they out level the faction armor and are forced to switch to a more effective armor of a different style.

Police does not work that way.

Say no to popamole!

No. A big no.

Why?

Hero likes the sprite of the "Elite Black Knight" Armor. It's black, it's spiky, it's pure awesome. However, he just got this set of "Radiant Dawn Constable" Armor, which is less good-looking than the "Elite Black Knight", but has waaay better stats and really shiny. So **** that, he'll use the Elite Black Knight's sprite for it.

Suddenly, quest time! While walking randomly at some cave, you've fallen into the "Pits of Dark Darkness"! Turns out the Radiant Dawn Constable Armor has a quest attached to it! You must navigate your way out of this dark pit and your only light source is the "Radiant Dawn Constable" Armor's shine. Apparently it's made to shine even on the darkest darkness.

Too bad you ain't shining with that "Elite Black Knight"'s sprite.

Time to reload. Well, ****. You're playing Iron Man mode and your last save was the time you've fallen to the pit.

Hey, it might happen.

No. A big no.

Why?

Hero likes the sprite of the "Elite Black Knight" Armor. It's black, it's spiky, it's pure awesome. However, he just got this set of "Radiant Dawn Constable" Armor, which is less good-looking than the "Elite Black Knight", but has waaay better stats and really shiny. So **** that, he'll use the Elite Black Knight's sprite for it.

Suddenly, quest time! While walking randomly at some cave, you've fallen into the "Pits of Dark Darkness"! Turns out the Radiant Dawn Constable Armor has a quest attached to it! You must navigate your way out of this dark pit and your only light source is the "Radiant Dawn Constable" Armor's shine. Apparently it's made to shine even on the darkest darkness.

Too bad you ain't shining with that "Elite Black Knight"'s sprite.

Time to reload. Well, ****. You're playing Iron Man mode and your last save was the time you've fallen to the pit.

Hey, it might happen.

Hehe. Yep.

Right now I'm in the middle of a SoZ campaign and my main character has a ridiculous looking Batiri mask on. Why? Because the stat bonus fits my character build in a significant way and I'm not playing this game so I can hew and haw over what my friggin' characters' appearances happen to be.