For RP/customization sake, please allow us to keep the same "armor/weapon" look if we want for new euqipment.

Right, as others have said...

The reason why the idea proposed in this thread is a waste of time and money is because it's based on the 3D zoomable games, and OP nor anyone else has yet addressed that: If the only detailed model we'd see is the paper doll UI, where this would even matter, why is changing the cosmetic look gear shown of a user interface element worth the resources? A party-based tactical isometric RPG must have a zoomed out fixed camera. You won't be seeing much of it while actually playing.

So asking for that and giving examples only from other 3D zoomable games like Skyrim and a bunch of MMOs leads me to believe they subconsciously really just want a "modern" 3D zoomable game engine with cinematic cut-scenes to actually show off their cosmetic looks, and PE isn't it.

Another point: PE will have different racial subcultures, and I fully expect these cultures to have their own looks. This is part of the game; if for example the player can develop reputation with a cultural faction and earn the right to ceremonial armour, that's a good way to tie gear to story, but adding a fluid cosmetic element would completely defeat that purpose.

Let Obsidian design the armour, because given the few examples already out, I think they'll do well, and they know what the general audience wants ("realism!"). Even mentioning MMO high-level spiky idiocy as a "reason" to want a cosmetic system like this is irrelevant.

People keep talking about crafting, but i have yet to see a crafting system that isn't just a massive grinding bore. I hate crafting. Can't stand it in any game.

I like it fine in LotRO, where MMOs are extremely gear-based and content exclusive, so I can save myself money. I've never gotten into SP crafting systems because they typically just fill my inventory with a bunch of stuff. At most, I stick with maybe a couple basic potions and enchanting gear, if it seems like it would make a substantial difference. If Obs were to implement some kind of crafting system in PE, I'd want it to be very easy on inventory (not just taking up space/weight but few items to sort).

• Like 1

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I also have to say no on this.

As many have already stated, you should not get a bonus for faction armor, while looking like something completely different. If the creators spend hours on designing the perfect aesthetics for their weapons/armor/apparel It should be seen by all. I always loved the legends behind items and the history of why it looks like it looks.

On the other hand IF, and it is a BIG if, this threads suggestion could be implemented without noticeable cost to the budget, then why not. But only if, it doesn't come at the cost of actual game play mechanics, story, etc.

IMO this is not worth the hole in the budget.

photo-43672.jpg?_r=1349795749
"Which is more the fool: the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

To me this seems like a win/win for everyone.

No.

Can you elaborate?

It pretty much defeats the purpose of designing different looks to equipment. As others have said on this thread, the look of the armor is part of the game world. What if there is a great suit of armor that gives dex bonus but makes you look like a dandy? What if NPC's react to it in the game and make comments? It creates a major disconnect if you look as if you look as if you're wearing a completely different armor.

Plus its one more vanity feature that many of us think is pandering and waste of time when more important things can be added to the game

How does affect the developers designing armor??? There's no point to it that woudl make the developers design armor differently somehow? It merely allows the player to choose which armor they like the look of and to keep that look if they so wish to, it doesn't meant he developers would have to make less armor or design it differently somehow.

As far as dandy armor and npc's commenting on your armor. It could simply apply to which armor you have visually equipped. So if you like the dandy armor and wear it they coment, but if you use the stats and have another armor visually showing they wouldn't comment about it.

• Like 1

To me this seems like a win/win for everyone.

No.

Can you elaborate?

It pretty much defeats the purpose of designing different looks to equipment. As others have said on this thread, the look of the armor is part of the game world. What if there is a great suit of armor that gives dex bonus but makes you look like a dandy? What if NPC's react to it in the game and make comments? It creates a major disconnect if you look as if you look as if you're wearing a completely different armor.

Plus its one more vanity feature that many of us think is pandering and waste of time when more important things can be added to the game

How does affect the developers designing armor??? There's no point to it that woudl make the developers design armor differently somehow? It merely allows the player to choose which armor they like the look of and to keep that look if they so wish to, it doesn't meant he developers would have to make less armor or design it differently somehow.

As far as dandy armor and npc's commenting on your armor. It could simply apply to which armor you have visually equipped. So if you like the dandy armor and wear it they coment, but if you use the stats and have another armor visually showing they wouldn't comment about it.

The two things go hand in hand. The designers don't just create the look of armor for the sake of aesthetics, a well designed world also takes into account re-activity ( as my example and others have pointed out). It also makes the player consider more then just the stats when choosing armor. You take those things away, and every suit of a particular type of armor could pretty much look the same.

This game promises a world where there are consequences for actions, it should therefore be logical that all of your choices have consequences, not just the ones you find a convenience.

• Like 1

Once again. This is precisely what a modding toolkit is good for. So I'd fight for that before asking for a feature like this, that a majority* of players would probably loathe or dislike.

*majority of the people posting in this thread at least.

I don't even dislike it on its face; I just think it's utterly pointless for a 2D iso game with zoomed out camera, a point OP desperately ignores because he can't answer why it makes sense to dump resources into a cosmetic system for, really, only the paper doll UI.

I adore the cosmetic system in LotRO and it makes sense in an MMO. It wouldn't work here.

Mod toolkit is all fine.

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Once again. This is precisely what a modding toolkit is good for. So I'd fight for that before asking for a feature like this, that a majority* of players would probably loathe or dislike.

*majority of the people posting in this thread at least.

I don't even dislike it on its face; I just think it's utterly pointless for a 2D iso game with zoomed out camera, a point OP desperately ignores because he can't answer why it makes sense to dump resources into a cosmetic system for, really, only the paper doll UI.

I adore the cosmetic system in LotRO and it makes sense in an MMO. It wouldn't work here.

Mod toolkit is all fine.

Yes, the mod toolkit is the way to go. Put resources in modding support and let the community do the tweaking for all kinds of things.

photo-43672.jpg?_r=1349795749
"Which is more the fool: the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

Its an unneeded vanity feature, sure. If somehow it would be difficult to implement (I can't imagine it would be) then it shouldn't be in. If the game world reacts to me differently based on the looks of my armor, I will concede that this idea would be bad. But assuming they don't because they never do, this option literally has no chance of hurting anyone ever in any situation. At all. It makes MORE sense in a single player game than a multiplayer game because nobody who doesn't like it will ever have to see it in effect.

and I'm sorry, but if you're saying something like this wouldn't be noticeable with the graphics of ToEE I just plain disagree with you. And if the game isn't going to have the graphical quality and detail of a game from 2003 I am quite frankly going to be very disappointed. I don't expect every human male in chain armor to look identical aside from hair color in a game being released in 2014.

312377-the-temple-of-elemental-evil-a-classic-greyhawk-adventure.jpg

If it looks exactly like that, this feature would be noticeable enough for me to enjoy it. Again, its not necessary. But if it was there, I'd use it and enjoy it.

Edited by ogrezilla

It kinda sounds the exact opposite of RP, so the topic is wrong.

A warrior shouldn't care how is armor looks but how good it is in keeping us alive. That's roleplaying a warrior.

"Roleplaying" your ugly armor is beautiful doesn't sound so valid to me.

(Indifferent toward the idea itself, but at least make your point valid)

Edited by Skie Nightfall
  • Like 3

✔ Certified Bat Food

and I'm sorry, but if you're saying something like this wouldn't be noticeable with the graphics of ToEE I just plain disagree with you. And if the game isn't going to have the graphical quality and detail of a game from 2003 I am quite frankly going to be very disappointed.

I haven't played ToEE so I'll concede that. But the level of gear detail and "show" in any 2D iso pales in comparison to 3D zoom-in, which are the ONLY examples given, so the point still stands that the ROI for this is truly minimal.

The other thread about spell visuals makes far more sense than this because spells are always larger than the character sprite and must be 'visual' as a combat mechanic.

Right, as others have said...

The reason why the idea proposed in this thread is a waste of time and money is because it's based on the 3D zoomable games, and OP nor anyone else has yet addressed that: If the only detailed model we'd see is the paper doll UI, where this would even matter, why is changing the cosmetic look gear shown of a user interface element worth the resources? A party-based tactical isometric RPG must have a zoomed out fixed camera. You won't be seeing much of it while actually playing.

So asking for that and giving examples only from other 3D zoomable games like Skyrim and a bunch of MMOs leads me to believe they subconsciously really just want a "modern" 3D zoomable game engine with cinematic cut-scenes to actually show off their cosmetic looks, and PE isn't it.

Another point: PE will have different racial subcultures, and I fully expect these cultures to have their own looks. This is part of the game; if for example the player can develop reputation with a cultural faction and earn the right to ceremonial armour, that's a good way to tie gear to story, but adding a fluid cosmetic element would completely defeat that purpose.

Let Obsidian design the armour, because given the few examples already out, I think they'll do well, and they know what the general audience wants ("realism!"). Even mentioning MMO high-level spiky idiocy as a "reason" to want a cosmetic system like this is irrelevant.

People keep talking about crafting, but i have yet to see a crafting system that isn't just a massive grinding bore. I hate crafting. Can't stand it in any game.

I like it fine in LotRO, where MMOs are extremely gear-based and content exclusive, so I can save myself money. I've never gotten into SP crafting systems because they typically just fill my inventory with a bunch of stuff. At most, I stick with maybe a couple basic potions and enchanting gear, if it seems like it would make a substantial difference. If Obs were to implement some kind of crafting system in PE, I'd want it to be very easy on inventory (not just taking up space/weight but few items to sort).

In the known info thread it is said that the game camera will be static, but likely zoomable. Also a mix of 2d/3d with character models being 3d iirc.

Also some of you thinking of BG/IWD, keep in mind this is a newer game, the resolution will be larger and textures likely much more detailed. So looking at old pics of BG or such is not really a good way to see what kind of look you will notice as far as characters and their clothing goes.

It kinda sounds the exact opposite of RP, so the topic is wrong.

A warrior shouldn't care how is armor looks but how good it is in keeping us alive. That's roleplaying a warrior.

"Roleplaying" your ugly armor is beautiful doesn't sound so valid to me.

(Indifferent toward the idea itself, but at least make your point valid)

A warrior would use armor made specifically for him, not armor looted. However this is a video game, and video games unlike real life don't use the same rules.

Also by your logic that would mean everyone, even mages, would wear plate armor, since it's the best armor at protecting you and far better then cloth, leather, chainmail, so everyone would wear plate and no one would wear anything else by that logic.

Also from the standpoint of it being our character, do you think it's not an rp feature to want to control their look? To want to roleplay as say, a thief who wears normal lookign leather armor that "blends" in with an average look instead of wearing that new +10 leather armor with a skull pauldron that looks like he walked out of a Bela Lugosi flick? He can't though unless he's ok with being under geared.

Think about iconic characters, throughout gaming and literature , etc. They usually have a certain "look" about them hat's designed for their character. When people rp a character they picture them using certain armor, weapons. and having a "look" about them,r ather it be certain type of armor they wear (or lack thereof) or weapons they use.

Take Drizzt for example, a popular D&D character from RA Salvatore. He is known look-wise by his dual swords (Icingdeath and Twinkle) and his green cloak that he wears. While years he will improvise and use other weapons if need be this is what he prefers to use. Now if someone wanted to make a character like this, and found a green cloak and two schmitars in the game and got that "look" down, you think it's un-rp for them to be able to keep that "look" and instead have to be either undergeared or have to use something that makes them break that look that they wanted and say it's a better rp experience? I'm not seeing that, to me that goes against rp imo.

Also I'd like to come out and clarify here, I mean no disrespect to anyone and if I came off harsh in any of my replies I'm sorry. I'd like to keep things civil and respectful of each other, not have this thread or forum turn into a place where people have disdain for anyone but rather can agree to disagree and move on peacefully while still enjoying the conversing and dialogue between each other in other posts even if they don't agree on other ones.

Edited by Stiler
  • Like 1

It comes down to this for me, if this were a tabletop game and I was GM there would have to be some plausible explanation for altering the physical properties of an item.

There are two problems with that logic. First, in a PnP game the GM is going to give the characters some consideration when he describes the gear so it's likely to fit into there style without modification. Second PnP games don't have graphics. Everything's in the players' heads so if they want things to match they can easily make them match.

@Ieo: Actually, from a programming standpoint it's probably trivial to separate an items image from it's stats. In fact, depending on how a game handles it's resources, they probably already are. To me it makes most sense to have the models fo each item in their own files and have the stats for items in a text based list (or series of lists) with pointers to the models. If that's the case then all they would need to do is add an if statement the goes

Get Item_slot
Get Cosmetic_slot
if (cosmetic_slot == null)
{
Character_model =Item_slot.Model;
}
else
{
Caracter_model=Cosmetic_slot.Model;
}

That's modeled on java and assumes the items stats are stored as java classes but you could implement the same thing in any number of languages.

That's true that a PnP game is largely in the head, but what about found objects? If there is armor with associated factions, then wearing that armor should cause a certain reaction to your character, no?

I guess I'm thinking of how Obsidian handled faction armor in Fallout New Vegas, what you wore could have serious consequences and I'd like to see a similar system in this game.

If people really want to alter their character's appearance, then hopefully a modding toolkit will be available, or the meshes and textures will be alterable with overrides (sort of like Skyrim does it).

• Like 2

In the known info thread it is said that the game camera will be static, but likely zoomable. Also a mix of 2d/3d with character models being 3d iirc.

Also some of you thinking of BG/IWD, keep in mind this is a newer game, the resolution will be larger and textures likely much more detailed. So looking at old pics of BG or such is not really a good way to see what kind of look you will notice as far as characters and their clothing goes.

I went to see the FAQ thing, and it does look like static but zoomable is "probable." That's interesting; a better argument for ROI increase.

The other arguments are then surrounding gear visuals in relation to gameplay (interaction mechanics, especially other cultures/factions). I don't like the idea of full-on cosmetic changes for this (like you change the look of a robe to plate) but rather something incremental like colors (BG/IWD did this). Crafting might work in the sense of specific additions adding specific special effects, but a crafting system is a whole other complex mechanism and there's already another thread dedicated to that.

Ultimately, I'd still like to see certain gear and clothing race/culture/faction-specific with interaction consequences based on that.

• Like 1

It comes down to this for me, if this were a tabletop game and I was GM there would have to be some plausible explanation for altering the physical properties of an item.

There are two problems with that logic. First, in a PnP game the GM is going to give the characters some consideration when he describes the gear so it's likely to fit into there style without modification. Second PnP games don't have graphics. Everything's in the players' heads so if they want things to match they can easily make them match.

@Ieo: Actually, from a programming standpoint it's probably trivial to separate an items image from it's stats. In fact, depending on how a game handles it's resources, they probably already are. To me it makes most sense to have the models fo each item in their own files and have the stats for items in a text based list (or series of lists) with pointers to the models. If that's the case then all they would need to do is add an if statement the goes

Get Item_slot
Get Cosmetic_slot
if (cosmetic_slot == null)
{
Character_model =Item_slot.Model;
}
else
{
Caracter_model=Cosmetic_slot.Model;
}

That's modeled on java and assumes the items stats are stored as java classes but you could implement the same thing in any number of languages.

That's true that a PnP game is largely in the head, but what about found objects? If there is armor with associated factions, then wearing that armor should cause a certain reaction to your character, no?

I guess I'm thinking of how Obsidian handled faction armor in Fallout New Vegas, what you wore could have serious consequences and I'd like to see a similar system in this game.

If people really want to alter their character's appearance, then hopefully a modding toolkit will be available, or the meshes and textures will be alterable with overrides (sort of like Skyrim does it).

I think most will agree with your point if the armor we wear has an impact beyond the stats. If people in game react differently depending on what armor you are wearing then yes, this idea stops working.

Edited by ogrezilla

For those of you who recently posted against the idea, why? How is this an idea AGAINST rpgs and the bane of bad design choices? How is this promoting "crap" designs??? It's not promoting ANY Designs, it's merely to give the PLAYER a choice of what they want their character to look like and not be forced into something they don't want.

It's a bad thing to allow the player who wants to rp their character with a certain look???

And I bet there's lots of players out there wanting to "rp" their character as Optimus Prime and kill orcs and undeads with laz0rz, how would that be AGAINST rpgs, it's merely a PLAYER CHOICE after all of what they want their character to look like ?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?¿?

Guess what, if you put on an armor smeared with crap for the purpose of camouflage that's how your char should look like and if you want him to look like a christmas tree, do that instead... what a novel idea. Sometimes you don't even get the choice and only run around as a corpse in loincloth, because that's who your character is supposed to be, not shining Paladin of Awesomeness or a robot.

To me it seems to be AGAINST The very idea of rpgs to tell a player "You like this piece of armor, it fits your character better but you can't kepe using it because you've outlv'd it and must now use this fruity looking spiky armor!"

What is so hard to understand, go and look for a dress somewhere in the closets of your house, then put it on and tell me if you can change it to make you look like a knight in shining armor, for increased effect go outside and ask the opinion of some other people.

Same thing if you put a pot on your head and use a pan as a weapon, you have just increased your protection and attack stats, but depending on what else you're wearing will likely resemble a lunatic or the village idiot.

You very much have the choice to wear whatever you like, but you apparently want to wear plate armor and gain all its advantages and look like a "barbarian" with not much more than a loincloth and a few leather stripes, which is absurd.

• Like 3

I'd consider it strongly immersion breaking, if one could just miraculously change the appearance of items, even if it's only an interface thing. For me, everything that a character can do in a traditional RPG, also cosmetic stuff, should have a sane foundation within the game world. If, and only if such a feature could be explained story-wise I would consider it appropriate.

Still, I'm afraid that every explanation for such an option is bound to sound made up, just to make such an option possible, what would immediately break immersion. A storyteller has to be very careful not to trigger any doubts on the integrity of her tale. As soon as the listener/player starts to wonder why some part of the story is told, and comes to the conclusion, that it might have been only made up to justify something else that would otherwise not fit into the story at all, the whole story gets questionable.

From my point of view such vanity stuff belongs in MMORPGs, where story and immersion are mere negligibilities.

Nevertheless, this is just my opinion and there is one other, in my opinion really important thing that this thread makes me want to say:

Please, developers, don't listen too much to us. After all, it is your game. You invest your heartblood in this project, so it should be exactly how you want it to be. If you think something that comes up on the forum is a great idea, put it in the game. If you think something does not suit into the game, then leave it out.

• Like 1

Crystalmancer of the Obsidian Order

That's easy enough to fix. Just have them react to the displayed armor. In fact, I would argue that doing it that way is better because it let's display your aliegence to a faction even if their default armor doesn't fit your play style.

The other arguments are then surrounding gear visuals in relation to gameplay (interaction mechanics, especially other cultures/factions). I don't like the idea of full-on cosmetic changes for this (like you change the look of a robe to plate) but rather something incremental like colors (BG/IWD did this). Crafting might work in the sense of specific additions adding specific special effects, but a crafting system is a whole other complex mechanism and there's already another thread dedicated to that.

Ultimately, I'd still like to see certain gear and clothing race/culture/faction-specific with interaction consequences based on that.

Mostly see above, but I will say I'm more than ok with having type restrictions. It would be a bit silly if you could make your long sword look like a dagger, but I really see no problem with making it look like a different style of long-sword. Armor would seem much the same, you shouldn't be able to make full-plate look like a loincloth, but I see no reason why you couldn't make a set of dwarven full-plate look like a set from the imperial guard.

If you find the Black Helmet of Bhaal, it should be a black helmet.

If you find the Jester's Headbladder of Ridicule, it should be a multicoloured ballsack with balls hanging from it.

That's actually a good point you make. You made me reconsider my initial endorsement.

Unique items should have their own "uniqueness" unaffected. Being able to interchange the model/skin between items would drive the supposed "distinctive personality" out of these items.

What can I say? Let's just hope they are not going for exceedingly cheesy stuff in the end game. Something that for some weird reason happens *systematically* with RPGs.

I would like to reach the final part of this game without having my party wearing crap like this:

http://social.bioware.com/uploads_user/1880000/1879525/42771.jpg

http://www.xbox360cheats.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/daedric-armor-skyrim.jpg

and more stuff like this:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ly93uf7iPy1qh4ca1o1_500.jpg

I entirely agree with you; Hope to the gods that armour in the game does not end up looking like recent "fantasy" abominations. If you want to see "armour gone wrong", look at practically any MMO these days. Awesome mid-level loot. Terrible, terrible "high-level" or "epic" gear. Some developers (EAware, ActiBlizz, Bethesda, etc) couldn't do a Sauron without screwing it up, for some reason.

i agree next they will be asking for bunny suites and batman costumes so they can look cute and cool. Vanity things are not for old style rpg's, but are for new age mmo's that cater for the wide- audience and want soemthign for all ages
Oh, "vanity things" aren't inherently wrong. Vanity mechanics are terrible work-arounds. But vanity items; I'm all for those.

Nothing like stylin' through the city in a cozy red silk cloak, some new noble-clothes, a pair of fine leather boots, gloves, and more enchanted jewellery than you can shake a stick at. Even as a ranger or fighter or paladin or whatever. I love pretending that I'm important and dressing "appropriately" in RPGs. Nothing like beating the hell out of Loghain dressed in nothing but a nobleman's attire and a golden sword.

But those should be different items. There shouldn't be some mechanic to make up for a terribad range of equipment.

t50aJUd.jpg

That's easy enough to fix. Just have them react to the displayed armor. In fact, I would argue that doing it that way is better because it let's display your aliegence to a faction even if their default armor doesn't fit your play style.

No Chief Inspector, I will not wear the standard issue uniform, it does not match my unique sense of style. I mean black and white with a yellow reflex vest, really? Do you have something matching with my eyes?

• Like 2

Say no to popamole!

No. How you look has nothing to do with role-playing, but everything with LARPing. This is supposed to be an RPG not a LARPing simulator.

Oi, no need to insult us larpers! :p And actually, in the systems I play in we insist that the player wear something that looks like what it's supposed to be, so if you want to have the benefits of plate you have to wear something that looks like plate!

Edited by FlintlockJazz

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I went to see the FAQ thing, and it does look like static but zoomable is "probable." That's interesting; a better argument for ROI increase.

I assume if you had this it would only apply to the same item types (that's how it works in game sthat have it usually, like GW2).

You can only make plate armor look like another piece of plate armor, not cloth or vice versa. You can't take a dagger and make it look like a two handed greataxe or anything.

I'm only suggesting that you be allowed to take the item of the same type and make it appear like another item of the same type. So if you find a plate armor you like the look of, but outlevel it and find a much better piece of plate armor and don't like how it looks, then you can keep the look of your old armor but be able to use the stats from the new one so you aren't penalized for wanting to keep that look.

No taking daggers and changing them to staves, or cloth to plate, etc. That would likely interrupt all sorts of things (IE daggers using a greataxe model, the combat animations an dthings would look really really off).