For RP/customization sake, please allow us to keep the same "armor/weapon" look if we want for new euqipment.

NO.

That's a cowards way out.

Afraid of making a choice, so you want your cake and eat it.

Choosing frustrates you? Well golly gee Sherlock - that's what choice usually does!

Frak that.

Destinct look for armor. If you don't like it, don't wear it...simple as that.

You're not taking it far enough. The best armor should be intentionally ugly.

But for serious, personally I think it'd be a nice bonus feature, but not necessary. I didn't need it in New Vegas, or any rpg that didn't have it for that matter.

Edited by ArealLechOmit
  • Like 1

Do I look like I care?

No.

The very existence of that option bothers me.

that literally does not make sense to me. I can't wrap my head around it. To use your words, I think you have developed a very petty obsession.

This coming from a guy so obsessed with looking pretty that he wants to mess with the reality of the world to get his character to look FAAABOLOUS...

*Starts game with basic leather*

*changes appearance to lvl30 plate armor of epicness*

*thinks he's amazing*

If you want to change the appearnce of in-game items, there are mods for that.

The game should be moddable enough.

Instead you want the developers to basicly mod the game for you.

Frankly if I was a develoepr I'd be insulted. Spending all that time designing armor just for you to ask for an option to ignore it.

thanks for confirming. you are either a troll or someone I just have no interest in communicating with. farewell.

My loss is immesurable. Really.

Edited by TrashMan

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

But whether they use the option or not, the option being there influences the design since the devs will not put in any description that can wind up not being true due to this mechanic, resulting in your desires affecting his game. Just putting it out.

I dont see any reason this would have to be true.

Why don't you see any reason? Devs will not waste resources on descriptions that won't be relevant and may cause confusion to players (seriously, that has been used before). Either they will need to find some way for the description to change or not bother at all.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

But whether they use the option or not, the option being there influences the design since the devs will not put in any description that can wind up not being true due to this mechanic, resulting in your desires affecting his game. Just putting it out.

I dont see any reason this would have to be true.

Why don't you see any reason? Devs will not waste resources on descriptions that won't be relevant and may cause confusion to players (seriously, that has been used before). Either they will need to find some way for the description to change or not bother at all.

I see two flaws with your stance. First, I doubt the description on the stat item being different from what's shown on the avatar would actually confuse anyone when they explicitly set the cosmetic pattern themselves. Second, there are two really easy solutions for this: either make unique items lock the cosmetic slot (I really could care less about the description of chain shirt I looted from "mook guard #35") or don't bother describing the items physical appearance and instead focus on what it does and it's history (arguably they should do this anyways, since this game should have a decent graphics engine capable of displaying the item in question).

This is a dreadful idea. It might not seem like much just by itself, but it is a symptom of the disease that's been killing RPGs for the last 10 years.

I SAY THEE NAY!

Verily, never has a greater turth be typedeth than hath been typedeth on this morrow, by this man.

• Like 1

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

I'm sure any rpg fan has had this happen to them. You find some awesome looking armor/weapon you like the look of, then as you get a higher lv you gradually outgrow that equipment and are forced to change into new equipment but you do not like your new armor/weapon look. So you are forced to make a choice, neither of which is "good" (imo) for the player. You have to choose to keep the look you like, but be penalized for doing so, or you have to wear new equipment you might find visually unappealing.

Now in this day and age a few games are understanding people would like to be able to keep a certain "look" of armor or weapons they like and have done this in various ways. The most recent example being Guild Wars 2, where you can find "transmutation" stones which you use to transfer the "stats" of an item onto another which you like the skin/model of better.

I would love it if PE allowed us a way to do this. Be it through a simple paper doll interface when equipping our characters where we can simply have two "equipped" items and a simple checkbox below each set that has the options "Show these equipped items/Use these items stats." So you can choose which look you want but separately choose which stats you want to use or by items a la GW2 style.

To me this seems like a win/win for everyone. It pleases rpers who want a specific look for their character and also casual fans or just think a certain item "looks cooler" and doesn't wanna change it.

Why don´t you ask for a Mod Kit to cheat your own stuff into the game?

Not really a fan of this idea. Prefer it if equipment has their set looks.

How does this hurt you though? Does it really seem like a "great" thing to be forced to either be underpowered stat wise while wearing a set of armor you really really like, or having to ditch it for armor that you might think looks "fruity?"

I see no downside to it, no one is forcing you to do it, it'd be a choice. If you like going through new equipment and changing your like you wouldn't have to use this.

Choice between looks or functionality is a very real one, so why should you be exempet from making it?

Not that I think the developers will make ugly armors, but the idea sucks.

why would it bother you what others do in a single player game? Don't like the game mechanic? Don't use it...simple as that.

It bothers me when people want to cheat the mechanics because of their PETTY obsessions.

Don't like the game? Don't play it.

Don't like the armor? Don't wear it.

i agree next they will be asking for bunny suites and batman costumes so they can look cute and cool. Vanity things are not for old style rpg's, but are for new age mmo's that cater for the wide- audience and want soemthign for all ages

• Like 1

People keep talking about crafting, but i have yet to see a crafting system that isn't just a massive grinding bore. I hate crafting. Can't stand it in any game.

Why, exactly ?

Anyway, you can still keep the old gear and wear it for fashion's sake if that..kind of thing appeals to you.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I hope the devs do not put this in and actually make ugly looking armor that has the best stats in the game, i am talking mismathec colors... maybe some pok-a-dots or leopard print, who knows.

But seriously I dont mind if it were there in crafting, i like the idea of alot of freedom when crafting an item like the moderator suggested.

This is one of those ideas I simply can't get behind. With a limited budged, an idea with focus of pure cosmetics would be a waste of time, if you ask me. I'm inclined to agree with this:

Not really a fan of this idea. Prefer it if equipment has their set looks.

• Like 1

Wow I get up this morning and....

For those of you who recently posted against the idea, why? How is this an idea AGAINST rpgs and the bane of bad design choices? How is this promoting "crap" designs??? It's not promoting ANY Designs, it's merely to give the PLAYER a choice of what they want their character to look like and not be forced into something they don't want.

It's a bad thing to allow the player who wants to rp their character with a certain look???

To me it seems to be AGAINST The very idea of rpgs to tell a player "You like this piece of armor, it fits your character better but you can't kepe using it because you've outlv'd it and must now use this fruity looking spiky armor!"

Can any of you explain to me why you think this choice is "Ruining rpgs" or going against some old tradition of rpgs? Being forced to have a look that you don't want, that might not fit how you want your character to look. IE lets say you have a barbarian style character and like the lower lv armor that looks "less" full knight plate covering and more open gladiator style, but at higher lv's that armor doesn't exist at all so throughotu the entire game you are forced to use the low lv armor and be extremely underpowered (which really isn't viable) or use armor that makes your character look like a classic late 15th century knight instead of the look you want.

It's a simple choice, that no one is forced to make if they dont' want to in their single player game. It isn't a resource hog and wouldn't take a ton of resources to make on top of that.

Also I fail to see how this is a "Cheat?" How the heck is it cheating? Do you think if they ad some kind of post-character creation barbershop where you could change your characters hair that'd be cheating as well?

It would be quite funny if the high armor was made bright pink with giant spikes all over it and had far better stats then anything else anywhere near that lv and those of you against the idea would then understand the point of it.

Never seen so many people blindly against an idea for more customization in an RPG, it just boggles my mind how anyone can equate this to being some kind of bane of design/current rpgs when it's there to give more choice to the player rather then take it away.

If any of you play D&D how would you feel if the DM forced your character to look a certain way and didn't allow you to make your character how you wanted?

Also this could be an option, so those of you so against it because it'd somehow ruin your immersion could turn it off and start a game and it wouldn't exist so you wouldn't be tempted to use it when you do get stuck wearing something you really don't like the look of.

Edited by Stiler
  • Like 1

It's a minor vanity feature, maybe they could ship it as DLC or a stretch goal. I don't really see the problem as they can fix it by just keeping a theme to the gear and making it all look equally nice. Hopefully we don't end up with massive shoulder pads of ivory and gold and the like - that's done in MMOGs do help drive the loot grinds I'd wager.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

To me this seems like a win/win for everyone.

No.

Can you elaborate?

It pretty much defeats the purpose of designing different looks to equipment. As others have said on this thread, the look of the armor is part of the game world. What if there is a great suit of armor that gives dex bonus but makes you look like a dandy? What if NPC's react to it in the game and make comments? It creates a major disconnect if you look as if you look as if you're wearing a completely different armor.

Plus its one more vanity feature that many of us think is pandering and waste of time when more important things can be added to the game

*snip*

If any of you play D&D how would you feel if the DM forced your character to look a certain way and didn't allow you to make your character how you wanted?

Also this could be an option, so those of you so against it because it'd somehow ruin your immersion could turn it off and start a game and it wouldn't exist so you wouldn't be tempted to use it when you do get stuck wearing something you really don't like the look of.

You mean like if I looted armor off the body of an officer of a particular army? That armor should be wearable and appear however I wish it to look without spending money or time? I'd think that was pretty damned laughable.

Secondly, all of this needs coding and testing and UI design ... time and money I'd rather spent on more important things -- things central to the core of the game.

This is exactly the kind of thing that a modder should be able to build however, so if anything I'd pray for a mod kit.

Edited by nikolokolus