For RP/customization sake, please allow us to keep the same "armor/weapon" look if we want for new euqipment.

I'm sure any rpg fan has had this happen to them. You find some awesome looking armor/weapon you like the look of, then as you get a higher lv you gradually outgrow that equipment and are forced to change into new equipment but you do not like your new armor/weapon look. So you are forced to make a choice, neither of which is "good" (imo) for the player. You have to choose to keep the look you like, but be penalized for doing so, or you have to wear new equipment you might find visually unappealing.

Now in this day and age a few games are understanding people would like to be able to keep a certain "look" of armor or weapons they like and have done this in various ways. The most recent example being Guild Wars 2, where you can find "transmutation" stones which you use to transfer the "stats" of an item onto another which you like the skin/model of better.

I would love it if PE allowed us a way to do this. Be it through a simple paper doll interface when equipping our characters where we can simply have two "equipped" items and a simple checkbox below each set that has the options "Show these equipped items/Use these items stats." So you can choose which look you want but separately choose which stats you want to use or by items a la GW2 style.

To me this seems like a win/win for everyone. It pleases rpers who want a specific look for their character and also casual fans or just think a certain item "looks cooler" and doesn't wanna change it.

• Like 7

I don't really like this idea. I like other ideas that have the same ends.

1) Crafting. A deep crafting option should let people make gear that looks how they want with the bonuses they want.

2) Horizontal gear progression. Gear does not always go up, gear becomes more specialized or otherwise has downsides in progression. Meaning that if you really like a particular piece of gear, you can just stick with that.

But overall, for the sake of verisimilitude (that word sounds made up, doesn't it?), gear should look like what it is.

• Like 18
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I am for this as well. Not a huge deal, but if it is included I would use it and enjoy it.

Yeah, I agree.

It's definitely not a big issue, but I couldn't see it doing any harm, either. Or being very resource-hungry.

It could be some simple side utility/skill like "reforge item" where you are allowed to change its appearance.

Ideally every (relevant) item in the game should be visually appealing, and better ones should top inferior ones even in style and overall "coolness", but we all know this is more a utopian scenario than a realistic possibility, especially when subjective tastes come into play.

1) Crafting. A deep crafting option should let people make gear that looks how they want with the bonuses they want.

2) Horizontal gear progression. Gear does not always go up, gear becomes more specialized or otherwise has downsides in progression. Meaning that if you really like a particular piece of gear, you can just stick with that.

But overall, for the sake of verisimilitude (that word sounds made up, doesn't it?), gear should look like what it is.

Crafting is nice, but there should be legendary items which cannot be matched by crafted items, don't you think?

I also like the idea of sticking to items which you really like but you can't really avoid situations in which you find better loot (except you decide to abandon the looting of items at all) so once in a will the problem will occur.

• Like 2
35167v4.jpg

in a single player game it really seems like there is no drawback to this aside from any potential work it takes to implement it. It seems easy enough to me to add, but I am no programmer. If it would take any significant amount of resources to put it in then I would say keep it out. If its something simple to add I don't see how anybody could be bothered by it.

Edited by ogrezilla

Honestly, in a lot of the older style cRPGs I've noticed that while some armors are definitely better or worse than others, at each level there's usually a bunch that have different tradeoffs and different looks. I usually just look at the design as one of the tradeoffs.

Herald of the Obsidian Order

Crafting is nice, but there should be legendary items which cannot be matched by crafted items, don't you think?

Depends on the crafting. If crafting is a heavy investment, it shouldn't just become invalidated at the end for people who loot dungeons (read: everyone).

And the cosmetic appearance of legendary items should be part of its tradeoff. It can be part of the item's theme or part of the justification for its status. Like a "Hat of Silly Destruction" which is a jester's cap with a long backstory of use in court to assassinate kings. To be able to turn it into a regular chapeau seems criminal.

• Like 4
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

NO.

That's a cowards way out.

Afraid of making a choice, so you want your cake and eat it.

Choosing frustrates you? Well golly gee Sherlock - that's what choice usually does!

Frak that.

Destinct look for armor. If you don't like it, don't wear it...simple as that.

Edited by TrashMan
  • Like 8

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Not really a fan of this idea. Prefer it if equipment has their set looks.

How does this hurt you though? Does it really seem like a "great" thing to be forced to either be underpowered stat wise while wearing a set of armor you really really like, or having to ditch it for armor that you might think looks "fruity?"

I see no downside to it, no one is forcing you to do it, it'd be a choice. If you like going through new equipment and changing your like you wouldn't have to use this.

I sincerely doubt anyone's going to be designing the nicer armors and thinking "Let's see how boring I can make this." Rather than transmutation or whatever I'd just prefer a greater breadth of possible looted and crafted armors, somewhat balanced so there are choices to be made, without an obvious "best" stat-wise.

Edited by Shardbearer

Don't like this idea eiher.

It basically robs any item no matter if helmet, armor or sword of their own style and personality.

So if the item description reads: "A great iron helmet, decorated with miniature dragon wings on each side and studded with the scales of a red dragon. The visor is formed in the shape of a dragons jaws and lined with rows of metal teeth." Then it feels just weird that my character is wearing a shining golden helmet with horns.

Can I make a leather cap look like a viking helmet as well with a mechanic like that? Where is the gratification in finding something cool looking then?

• Like 1

NO.

That's a cowards way out.

Afraid of making a choice, so you want your cake and eat it.

Choosing frustrates you? Well golly gee Sherlock - that's what choice usually does!

Frak that.

Destinct look for armor. If you don't like it, don't wear it...simple as that.

why would it bother you what others do in a single player game? Don't like the game mechanic? Don't use it...simple as that.

It basically robs any item no matter if helmet, armor or sword of their own style and personality.

So if the item description reads: "A great iron helmet, decorated with miniature dragon wings on each side and studded with the scales of a red dragon. The visor is formed in the shape of a dragons jaws and lined with rows of metal teeth." Then it feels just weird that my character is wearing a shining golden helmet with horns.

Can I make a leather cap look like a viking helmet as well with a mechanic like that? Where is the gratification in finding something cool looking then?

then don't use this option.

I only support this sort storytelling inconsistency for MMOs because that whole genre is bloated with them. And because their itemization tends to suck. Whatever justification for this either feels tacked on or ends up robbing items of their identity.

In a single player game? I don't know. Sounds like plain bad storytelling to me.

Edited by Delterius
  • Like 3

I sincerely doubt anyone's going to be designing the nicer armors and thinking "Let's see how boring I can make this."

Yeah, but often the problem is the opposite.

You have mid tier items that look reasonably cool, in-character, and believable, and then you have the "top tier", end game stuff, that tries too hard to look "SUPERAWESOME", with the very cheesy final effect of making your fully dressed party like a wandering circus.

Just to give you an example: I would like my warrior to look like a harden veteran with some good gear, not like the Dark Megalord Of Badassery With Intimidating Spikes All Over His Black Armor.

I want my rogue to wear a sober, reasonable, cool looking brown/black leather outfit, not the Sparkling Red Magical Suit That Prevent Any Sound.

And so on.

Edited by Tuco Benedicto
  • Like 2

Hm, perhaps there sould be some difference between ordinary magic stuff and legendary items with an own history and description. It clearly makes no sense for the latter but perhaps for the former?

But in the end I have faith in Obsidian's art department that they will create superb legendary (and ordinary) items which will be a pleasure to where. But please take care that the items with the best stats also have the best look. ;)

I think the problem is bigger in most modern RPGs, MMOs and Action RPGs because of their loot system. There would be much less problems when legendary or even magical loot is extremly rare and it takes you some time to find a new item you could use. If there are only a limited amount of magical and legendary items the designesr can spend much more time on the details and make them really good looking. Witcher 1 and 2 are good examples for that because in these game there are extremly few armors and weapons but they all look gorgeous.

Edited by LordCrash
  • Like 1
35167v4.jpg

Yeah, but often the problem is the opposite.

You have mid tier items that look reasonably cool, in-character, and believable, and then you have the "top tier", end game stuff, that tries too hard to look "SUPERAWESOME", with the very cheesy final effect of making your fully dressed party like a wandering circus.

That's why I'd prefer there just be a variety of choices at each tier, plus as was previously mentioned, keep crafting relevant to later tiers as well.

then don't use this option.

But whether they use the option or not, the option being there influences the design since the devs will not put in any description that can wind up not being true due to this mechanic, resulting in your desires affecting his game. Just putting it out.

• Like 2

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams