52 members have voted

1. 1. How would you like the in game spell descriptions?

• Extremly detailed - ALL the numbers and mechanics are explained including a full "story" description and example calculation.
    • Detailed - Some of the numbers but not all of the mechanics behind them. With "story" description.
    • Vague - Indication of what the damage is based on but no exact numbers (DA style). With "story" description.
    • No details - No numbers and no mention of the mechanics of the spell. Story description ONLY.

I'm of two minds on this one.

On the one hand, I want to know what my character is getting when I'm choosing which abilities to give him or her. That means that I'd like to be able to compare the efficacy of certain abilities-- including spells-- and make a reasoned choice between them. And that requires access to the underlying numbers.

On the other hand, I also believe that, as a matter of world-building, magic is best when it is explained the least. That's what makes it *magic*-- it should be mysterious, unpredictable, and occasionally dangerous.

So, my compromise position is this: First, have a "core set" of spells that are well understood in the gameworld, with full explanations of both their mechanics and their histories. A "Basic Practitioner's Spellbook," if you will. These would be the spells that you can buy scrolls of or choose at level-up. (And I wouldn't be opposed to the selection getting pretty limited at high levels, if a "spell-level" system is being used.)

And then have other spells-- spells you find on half-burnt dusty scrolls ancient ruins, spells you learn from eccentric hermits as quest rewards, spells written in lamb's blood on the walls of barns by savant-like deaf-mute children, spells that you understand intuitively when you stare deeply into the eyes of the Dryad Queen (or, alternately, consume her still-beating heart). I think we should eventually get access to the numbers, but in order for all mechanical data to be uncovered, you've got to try them out a half-dozen times or so. (Against live targets, if appropriate.)

Edited by Enoch

I voted "extremely detailed".

I hate games in which it is said things like "duration : temporary", or "area of effect : large", or "increases your damage with swords", I want details, and it's even better when it is graphically displayed : circle on the ground when activating an AOE spell, and why not also damage potential being displayed by the health bar of enemies. If they are able to graphically represent the characteristics of a given spell, I am all for it.

The spell and ability descriptions in Dragon Age: Origins were the single greatest flaw of the game, narrowly edging out even the bog-standard "slay the dragon to save the kingdom" central plot. Consider Mind Blast: "The caster projects a wave of telekinetic force that stuns enemies caught in the sphere." What in Baator does that mean? What is the radius of the sphere? How long does the stun last? Can they resist? What influences the resistance? There's no way to know whether this spell is any good or even what situations it might be useful in without either selecting (the DA:O selections are irreversible) or going to look for a better description on a wiki or something of the sort.

Please don't do that. Give us Baldur's Gate 2 style spell descriptions with a bit of story and a numerical description.