Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #9: The power of MODES and Godlike Races: Our $2.3M Stretch Goal

project eternity modes godlike races trial of iron path of the damned expert mode josh sawyer

• Please log in to reply
298 replies to this topic

norolim

norolim

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Excellent. I especially like the sound of expert mode :fdevil:

Syraxis

Syraxis

Arrow Fodder of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1210 posts
  • Steam:Sarethi
  • Kickstarter Backer

You guys just got another $8 out of an unenployed person. I hope you're happy.

*sobs as wallet gets lighter*

I'm in the same boat you are...but I had to throw a little money at this project. Oh well, guess its the dollar menu tonight!

The dollar menu is actually the best way to get the most "bang-for-your-buck", so to speak, rather than the so called value menu.

source: I worked in fast food in high school.

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer

It would also be nice to have some sort of reward for playing in one of these modes. It need not be extreme but something other than bragging rights might be nice. Greater likelihood of special equipment, or a unique ending come to mind.

I'm opposite on this one. I wouldn't want any in-game benefit for doing this at all. The only thing I would want, and this is only if they include achievements in the first place, would be achievements for those modes and maybe one extra for completing on all three in the same run. If there's an epilogue or summation at the end, maybe they could give a nod to the mode, not overtly but clearly enough that it gives a little ego-stroke.

What I don't want is one copper, one rusty dagger, or one experience point more for choosing any of these options.

EDIT: Had to make my brain addled message clearer. Also, so this is the fourth race? The Godlike? So we have several races still waiting to be unveiled?

Edited by Cantousent, 26 September 2012 - 10:29 AM.

• Aargh, Merin and kjrubberducky like this

IcyDeadPeople

IcyDeadPeople

Milk Drinker of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 128 posts

Hopefully, including these modes officially makes it easier to mod them - e.g. imagine having an .ini file to change many of the parameters.

Do you think there is still the remote possibility of a stretch goal for official mod tools? If so, I'd definitely increase my pledge.

Edited by IcyDeadPeople, 26 September 2012 - 10:27 AM.

• Nakia and Phyon like this

Semper

Semper

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 160 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
thx for all the Posted Image lately.

Kage Tempest

Kage Tempest

Stormblade of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 41 posts
Great Update! I may be interested in these masochist like modes, but I like the way races are being handled right now. In my opinion... it would be better to reveal what exactly the 2 unamed additional races are until after the kick starter ends. Because if those two races turn out to be something that doesn't satisfy a large number of backers, be they too generic or not what they specifically wanted, I'm worried that pledges could in fact begin dropping.

adamsorkin

adamsorkin

Mad Alchemist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Solid Update, and like the new goals. Caved and bumped up a couple tiers. There's a $20 early bird slot open if you're quick!

Cryticus

Cryticus

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 119 posts
Am I the only one who hopes that this godlike race allow me to play cthulhu spawn with face tentacles rather than tiefling, hmm, on the other note I just realise that obsidian is secret evil organization of evil geniuses that want from me to became robber, because every update makes me want to plege more and I just simply dont have enough money

ogrezilla

ogrezilla

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 883 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
big fan, big fan

Savvy30039

Savvy30039

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
What I loved about Hardcore Mode in New Vegas was that it actually made the game feel more immersive and had me roleplaying more. Having to find food, store clean water, and constantly watch my rad level made the New Vegas wasteland feel much more brutal and real. I don't know how they would include something like that in Project Eternity, but I hope there can be some of those elements in there as well rather than just making the game a bit harder.
  • Xantomas, Zzzleepy and Theomen712 like this

SqueakyCat

SqueakyCat

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 322 posts
This is fabulous news! Thanks.
  • Bill Gates' Son likes this

TCJ

TCJ

Court Fool of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 186 posts
I have a difficult enough time on standard modes, but I think the added difficulty levels will certainly be interesting. Even if I weren't to use any, it's a neat feature for all those who will.

On the races, I'm not excited. Call me a vanilla person, but stuff like tieflings and asimaar never interested me. Give me a human and call it a day!
  • Merin likes this

Infinitron

Infinitron

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2050 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Icewind Dale's Heart of Fury mode had exclusive treasure that you could only find in the game if you played with it. It worked pretty well.
  • Crooked Bee and Inertia like this

Lohi

Lohi

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
1) I was never a fan of "set difficulty at the start and never change it again" style. This works for ironman mode. But for other modes it always makes me pause. I want to set difficulty up but I don't want to find out it's no fun later on and I have to restart. Ie, like everything is smooth and easy until the final BG2 fight. So it would be nice if we could increase/decrease combat difficulty later on.

2) Two types of difficulty sliders: one for combat and one for gameplay. This way you can be in expert mode but also turn down difficulty of fights. Or be in ironman perma-death mode but with easy fights. Or very difficult combat with easy inventory management and infinitely stackable arrows.
  • lolaldanee likes this

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10491 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I'm sure you can adjust combat / standard difficulty, yo ujust can't turn these special modes on and off. Which makes sense, really, for them.

general_azure

general_azure

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 159 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Heh, that reference to the weighted gold discussion got me laughing. And being able to set options individually instead of just having one almighty slider is always a good idea as far as I'm concerned.

J.E. Sawyer

J.E. Sawyer

Project Director

• Developers+
  • 2995 posts
If you are turning on Expert Mode at the beginning of the game, you're permanently (for that game) setting all dials to 11. You don't need to do that, though. If you start a normal game, you can manually turn on/off the options of Expert Mode that you enjoy at any point in the game. If you want combat to be standard but you prefer having companion influence messages turned off, you can just select that feature (and/or other story/dialogue-based elements).
  • Flouride, Rostere, Aargh and 23 others like this

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9061 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Trial of Iron, baby. Wicked.
  • Thulean likes this

Piccolo

Piccolo

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 431 posts

1) I was never a fan of "set difficulty at the start and never change it again" style. This works for ironman mode. But for other modes it always makes me pause. I want to set difficulty up but I don't want to find out it's no fun later on and I have to restart. Ie, like everything is smooth and easy until the final BG2 fight. So it would be nice if we could increase/decrease combat difficulty later on.

2) Two types of difficulty sliders: one for combat and one for gameplay. This way you can be in expert mode but also turn down difficulty of fights. Or be in ironman perma-death mode but with easy fights. Or very difficult combat with easy inventory management and infinitely stackable arrows.

I'm not a fan of difficulty sliders if they just do simple stuff like inflate/deflate enemy stats. I'd much rather have more complex, well thought out difficulty modes you choose from at the start... even if it means less freedom to adjust mid-game.

Edit: Nvm, just read the dev post above. Seems we will have some freedom to play around with the difficulty mid-game.

Edited by Piccolo, 26 September 2012 - 11:00 AM.

• Living One likes this

Nakia

Nakia

Rogue of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1153 posts
  • Steam:nakiarogue
  • Kickstarter Backer

snip
Do you think there is still the remote possibility of a stretch goal for official mod tools? If so, I'd definitely increase my pledge.

Me too.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: project eternity, modes, godlike races, trial of iron, path of the damned, expert mode, josh sawyer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users