Update #9: The power of MODES and Godlike Races: Our $2.3M Stretch Goal

Modes are indeed the way to go. I'm curious what type of amplification of combat mechanics are we talking about..

I'd want all enemies to spawn (Path of the Damned), but without "unfair" tweaks to the combat ruleset and enemies (e.g. twice the damage/hp). Hardcore mode between hard and damned maybe? :D

Edited by Valorian
  • Like 1

Can we get the opposite?

For example, Mass Effect 3 had "Story Mode," which allowed players to skip through the monotony of random fighting and "strategic play," in order to appreciate the story, world, and characters without having to tredge through the parts they wouldn't enjoy.

I see a lot of ideas for making the game harder, and more omghardcore, but is this a tactical combat simulator, or is this a game with a story? It seems like the emphasis is on the wrong part of the game.

They already announced Chris was writing a novella. Isn't that pretty much what you are asking for?

Edited by Thulean
  • Like 3

Hopefully, including these modes officially makes it easier to mod them - e.g. imagine having an .ini file to change many of the parameters.

You guys just got another $8 out of an unenployed person. I hope you're happy.

*sobs as wallet gets lighter*

I'm in the same boat you are...but I had to throw a little money at this project. Oh well, guess its the dollar menu tonight!

The dollar menu is actually the best way to get the most "bang-for-your-buck", so to speak, rather than the so called value menu.

source: I worked in fast food in high school.

It would also be nice to have some sort of reward for playing in one of these modes. It need not be extreme but something other than bragging rights might be nice. Greater likelihood of special equipment, or a unique ending come to mind.

I'm opposite on this one. I wouldn't want any in-game benefit for doing this at all. The only thing I would want, and this is only if they include achievements in the first place, would be achievements for those modes and maybe one extra for completing on all three in the same run. If there's an epilogue or summation at the end, maybe they could give a nod to the mode, not overtly but clearly enough that it gives a little ego-stroke.

What I don't want is one copper, one rusty dagger, or one experience point more for choosing any of these options.

EDIT: Had to make my brain addled message clearer. Also, so this is the fourth race? The Godlike? So we have several races still waiting to be unveiled?

Edited by Cantousent
  • Like 3

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Hopefully, including these modes officially makes it easier to mod them - e.g. imagine having an .ini file to change many of the parameters.

Do you think there is still the remote possibility of a stretch goal for official mod tools? If so, I'd definitely increase my pledge.

Edited by IcyDeadPeople
  • Like 2

Great Update! I may be interested in these masochist like modes, but I like the way races are being handled right now. In my opinion... it would be better to reveal what exactly the 2 unamed additional races are until after the kick starter ends. Because if those two races turn out to be something that doesn't satisfy a large number of backers, be they too generic or not what they specifically wanted, I'm worried that pledges could in fact begin dropping.

Am I the only one who hopes that this godlike race allow me to play cthulhu spawn with face tentacles rather than tiefling, hmm, on the other note I just realise that obsidian is secret evil organization of evil geniuses that want from me to became robber, because every update makes me want to plege more and I just simply dont have enough money

What I loved about Hardcore Mode in New Vegas was that it actually made the game feel more immersive and had me roleplaying more. Having to find food, store clean water, and constantly watch my rad level made the New Vegas wasteland feel much more brutal and real. I don't know how they would include something like that in Project Eternity, but I hope there can be some of those elements in there as well rather than just making the game a bit harder.

• Like 3