I would love it if the devs implemented some crazy random encounters a la Fallout 1 & 2. I'm not suggesting that they go all out for black humour and reference jokes, but it would be nice to have a random encounter where you run into a bunch of GIANT SPACE HAMSTERS!!!!!!!!

Also, some major tactical encounters would be fantastic as well, but I gather that is what the $3000 pledge is for, to design your own adventuring party to fight in game etc.

I hope they add something along the lines of the encounter you get with the Chosen of Cyric encounter from the Rogue Rebalancing Mod for BG2, that was a very well done and complex battle. The author of that mod has mad skills.

Edited by Liquid_Silver11

A way around this is to link difficulty with geography. Main roads and habitable areas have bandits, the edges of the wilderness have wildlife like wolves and bears, and the deep wilderness is where the crazy and challenging encounters happen. So not truly random, just random within a set.

I'm fine with that, as long as the player isn't restricted in any way from wandering off into some of the more dangerous areas early on in the game.

The player shouldn't be restricted to wander off. The player also shouldn't complain if he gets smashed into the ground in one hit once he enters Savage Troglodyte Rapist territory.

I really,really,really just don't want to deal with any ****ing wolves. That's all I have to say on the subject.

Is this a reference to Baldur's Gate?

those automatic 20s on the first hit ;)

Wolves! Haha! What about just wandering into a group of brown bears! Oh that was always fun, oh hell while I'm reminiscing, anyone remember running into the ogre just after leaving Candlekeep with only Immy in your party, that's even more fun!

Games sure aren't made like they used to be...

I like random encounters, and I hate level scaling. That said, if there are random encounters, I do want them to be scaled to the level of the region you're in. I don't want to encounter the tarrasque when traveling from the peaceful village of Tutorialburg to Duke Marshmallow's Enchanted Castle. If I wander into some steaming hell-pit of a map, sure, send magma-spewing dragons after me or whatever.

Hate random encounters in the form of stopping the trip while I'm travelling (for example, Dragon Age: Origins or Arcanum); I can accept that I can encounter wild life or monster camps while actively travelling an area, like in Baldur's Gate 1, for example. I know, sound similar, but also slightly different when it comes to my eventual preparation for the encounter (in the latter case, I can choose to scout the area with a thief, for example).

Edited by Lucas

"The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance" - Wing Commander IV

I think random encounters work best when they are set encounters that happen at random or in random places. Sometimes the plot can be enhanced or a sub plot introduced in such a way. In my TTRPG games I use this mechanic to confuse the players, drop hints about the big picture, or to eat up resources before an important encounter.

I also use other kinds of not so random encounters when the players pass through hostile territory, including ethnic sections of cities.

I like them and would be a bit unhappy about their not being in the game.