Dynamic weather and seasons, would you want it in? Unique "weather" for the world.

I find that even though it really is more of a cosmetic thing, having weather that changes throughout the game randomly (IE not scripted) can really help add to the feeling of variety and dynamic nature of playing the game.

Especially if you have to back-track and go through area's you've been before. That dynamic nature of running into a thunderstorm, snow, etc makes it feel different.

Furthermore a cool thing I'd love to see is that the world has it's own "unique" weather, since it's not earth or anything it would be nice to see the dev's let their creative freedom go and think of weather that we don't get on earth but could exist on their fictional world. Even a simple thunderstorm could look different. I mean think of how weather on Jupiter is compared to earth, it has thunderstorms but the storms are quite larger then earth's and visually different.

Another major aspect that would help this is seasons. This is something that games usually ignore, a few have tried it (Asherons call comes to mind) and the upcoming Assassin's creed has a season system. Personally I'd love it, but I understand if it could take too much resources to do and instead the dev's would want to focus on other game aspects

• Like 10

In an ideal world, we'd have this and it would have a gameplay effect.

Might affect the effectiveness of certain spells (fireballs in rain), accuracy of attacks (sunglare), line of sight (sandstorm) and the like.

Realistically speaking, I doubt there's the resources and even though I agree it's a nice touch (even as an aesthetic effect with no gameplay implications), it's not on top of my priority list.

• Like 2

A good compromise would be different climates in different areas. It could be snowy and icy in the north. In the south, you could have the occassional tropical shower ala BG2 rain... something that doesn't require a lot of resources.

Like crusty mentioned, dynamic seasons might be expensive to implement and unless it adds to gameplay, I don't think it's worth it.

They could implement weather affecting certain elements as well, to give it more gameplay implications.

If anyone here played the excellent "Myth" RTS games from bungie. The rain and snow both played a role in the combat of the game (as well as bodies of water, IE creeks/rivers/lakes).

Things such as flaming arrows, bombs , water/snow had a chance to put out. Certain bodies of waters only specific units could cross if it was deep (IE the undead), Also wind could play a factor if they wanted to get into more details.

This was all done back in the mid-late 90's also, so it's nothing "new" or too far ahead of it's time. (Myth was actually one of the first games to use physics as well, for all the body parts/blood on battlefields, which didn't disappear and actually rolled down hills and things).

I find that even though it really is more of a cosmetic thing, having weather that changes throughout the game randomly (IE not scripted) can really help add to the feeling of variety and dynamic nature of playing the game.

I'm always in favor of realism in RPGs, so a definite yest from me.

Even a simple thunderstorm could look different. I mean think of how weather on Jupiter is compared to earth, it has thunderstorms but the storms are quite larger then earth's and visually different.

The weather on Jupiter is so different from what we have on Earth not because Jupiter is distant and exotic, but because of the composition of the planet and it's atmosphere, the size and distance from the Sun and many other factors. If the charcters of Project Eternity breathe the same air as we do and life over there is based on the same chemicals as on Earth, it's safe to assume that the surface gravity, atmospheric pressure and atmosphere composition will have to be pretty similar. Therefore, I wouldn't expect any exotic weather. Unless it turns out that the characters are building-size, carbon based, slow moving turtles or jellyfish-like animals floating in the Jupiter-like atmosphere...

I'm always in favor of realism in RPGs, so a definite yest from me.

Even a simple thunderstorm could look different. I mean think of how weather on Jupiter is compared to earth, it has thunderstorms but the storms are quite larger then earth's and visually different.

The weather on Jupiter is so different from what we have on Earth not because Jupiter is distant and exotic, but because of the composition of the planet and it's atmosphere, the size and distance from the Sun and many other factors. If the charcters of Project Eternity breathe the same air as we do and life over there is based on the same chemicals as on Earth, it's safe to assume that the surface gravity, atmospheric pressure and atmosphere composition will have to be pretty similar. Therefore, I wouldn't expect any exotic weather. Unless it turns out that the characters are building-size, carbon based, slow moving turtles or jellyfish-like animals floating in the Jupiter-like atmosphere...

well in areas of wild magic / high magic / cursed, etc. there could be magically enhanced weather effects...

Weather: Considering this will be an isometric RPG, the weather in the sky is limited to what you can see by looking at the ground. So lightning would only show as flashes of light, and clouds only seen by the ambient light on the ground. I do like the idea that there will be combat effects from weather, like fog reducing visibility and enhancing sneak skills, or snow slowing movement speed and reducing knockdown resistance, or making fire less effective and electricity more risky.

Seasons: Depending how big the game world is, seasons can give the elapsed time spent traveling on the map a sense of scale. Realistically, If towns and fortresses are miles away from each other, traveling between them a lot will make time pass much faster, and seasons are a good way to show the player this instead of relying on an abstract date posted somewhere. If the quest took multiple in-game years to complete, I don't see that as a problem.

Squeak!

• 3 weeks later...

No seasons or snow, but wind, rain, and fog would be great, they would not need more than some fancy shaders and particle effects.

Not seasons (Or snow) because then every region would need four versions of the same map with a lot of fiddling to create transitions, that would require new art assets for each area which is too big a stretch. Perhaps the expansion can be set in a snow laden landscape to make up for it though.

Yep, even Baldur's Gate had weather. I think it adds a lot of depth to the environment and provides a sense of time flow.

People running for cover during a shower was one of the really nice touches in the first Witcher game. The PE designers could put in puddles that appear following showers then dry up. Coastal regions could be foggy in the morning and breezy by the evening. Rain drops on a water surface would be a nice detail, as would roofs getting wet and water flowing down into rain barrels. 8)

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Might affect the effectiveness of certain spells (fireballs in rain), accuracy of attacks (sunglare), line of sight (sandstorm) and the like.

Realistically speaking, I doubt there's the resources and even though I agree it's a nice touch (even as an aesthetic effect with no gameplay implications), it's not on top of my priority list.

Heh just remembered BG1s first trailer. 2 men talking on a ship while its raining cats&dogs. Cant remember exact words;

1-Is it wise to wear plate armor in this weather?

2-Peh, a little rain wont hurt anyone!

Then lighting stroke the second one :D Heh, iwas a bit upset when figured that cant happen in game.

Till i get Call Lighting ^_^

Edited by cyberarmy

Nothing is true, everything is permited.

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100

I pretty much agree with all your points, with the exception of the resources - I think it is doable with the resources there are, but it would probably displace something else, and this wouldn't exactly be top on my priority list. That said, at the very least, some variance in weather between scenes/acts at fixed points should at least be possible, and I do hope they do that.

It sounds cool, but I think weather affects should be kept to a minimum and should normally be hard coded to match the conditions of the region/storyline. Standard stuff like it being cloudy, sunny, or drizzling now and then is fine and has been done before in many previous titles, but random extreme weather affects should not be added. Seasons should only be added if it is important to the campaign story-line, ie if winter is important for some reason.

If you have random dramatic weather affects, then that requires the NPCs to react to that weather for there to be a feeling of realism. That would require a lot more work to implement then I think would be warranted by the enjoyment it would bring to the players. How much of an impact would random weather really have on your enjoyment of the game and how difficult would it be to implement properly for the development team?

I also like the idea of powerful spells affecting the weather (when you're outside), i.e. casting a potent water-based spell would bring rain along with it for a brief period of time. Again, a purely cosmetic feature, but one that greatly adds to the feel and atmosphere of the game and with very little work necessary to implement it

Different climate zones is great, varying weather is good too, but 4 seasons with snow accumulation, plant senescence, leafing out in spring, etc. Would quaruple the number of outdoor renders they would have to create, unless they can develop a pretty robust particle effects system that allows them to layer 3D elements seamlessly onto environments ... bottom line is, don't hold your breath.

Edited by nikolokolus

Dynamic weather would be nice, take it a step further, say there was heavy rain or snow in an area, that would affect the trade route(s) (coastal and mainland) that are in that area and then on effecting the games economy, say a trade ship wrecked after a nasty storm and a few days later items from that ship appear near/on the coast for you to collect if you so happen to be there, or river floods over a road and washes a caravan down pulling all the goods down river.

dynamic weather events that effect local area economy, and hints/news of said event give you a chance to save lives or make a profit off another's bad luck.

I'd prefer Obsidian do the weather than mods. After all, it's best to have the entire game react to weather, from NPC behavior to combat and movement modifier, to spellcasting and resting.

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."

weather effects always make me happy. I don't think anything more than a little drizzle here and there randomly is necessary(well, if anything snow in snowy areas would also make me giddy), but I wouldn't argue with it. It's just a nice touch that makes things seem more polished and grounded.