Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

"Other" Playable Species Poll

poll species races race playable

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

Poll: "Other" Species (400 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you like your "other" playable species?

1. Totally true to AD&D (25 votes [6.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

2. All humanoid (41 votes [10.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.25%

3. A little beastly (39 votes [9.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.75%

4. Completely different, original, or even outworldish (120 votes [30.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

5. A mix of all (175 votes [43.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.75%

To be spesific, choose multiple choices that define your taste the best.

1. Small humans (gnomes, halflings & hobbits) (146 votes [9.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.28%

2. Greenies (orcs, goblins, etc.) (137 votes [8.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.71%

3. Bull-ish (minotaurs, tauren, etc.) (121 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

4. Aquatic (merefolk, fishmen, etc.) (129 votes [8.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.20%

5. Demonic (251 votes [15.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.96%

6. Insectoid (Tri-kreen, etc.) (146 votes [9.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.28%

7. Werebeasts (155 votes [9.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.85%

8. Bearmen (Wookies, Pandaren, etc.) (91 votes [5.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.79%

9. Scalies (Draconic, Lizardmen etc.) (227 votes [14.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.43%

10. Undead (Zombie, Vampire etc.) (170 votes [10.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.81%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Oner

Oner

Loner of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7499 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I'd like to see some more exotic races instead of the usual DnD gamut. I like playable undead or "planetouched", but those would depend on how they're presented. If they're ripped from a DnD manual, then no thanks.

Dashwood

Dashwood

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'd like to see some more exotic races instead of the usual DnD gamut. I like playable undead or "planetouched", but those would depend on how they're presented. If they're ripped from a DnD manual, then no thanks.

It's pretty hard not to rip from DnD, they covered quite a bit of ground with AD&D 2nd ed, basically every conceivable humanoid is covered, from hippo men (Giff, Spelljammer) to Minotaurs (Humanoids Supplements/Krynn) toad peeps (Bullywugs, Humanoids Supplement) Yetis (Alagai Humanoids) incorporeal beings of force (Lights, and Lantern Archons Planescape MC) mineral people (Various denizens of the Plane of Earth) and and and ....

I could go on but I think the point is made.

Silver6986

Silver6986

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I dunno about this, maybe it was the way the poll has different choices listed, I initially wanted to vote with 'a mix of all', but then I start mulling over all the different options. Ended up going "&$#^ it" and voting D&D...

I just don't want this game or hell even the overall lore to end up like WoW with regards to player character choice, I mean c'mon they are now offering PANDAS!!! Doesn't anyone else see that as a bizarro WTF move by Blizz!?

I am completely cool with most stuff covered by D&D I guess, NWN2 and the player character choices you have there were heading towards too much choice imo.

septembervirgin

septembervirgin

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I think maybe otherworldly peoples might be interesting, for a change! Maybe Greys, although Greys are so outre this period.

When I think of winged folk, I think of "They Fly at Ciron" by Samuel R Delany. Consequentially, I'd like to see winged folk.

Even though JES seems to feel insect-people are laughable, it might be interesting to have insect people in the game. Parasitic insect people might be interesting.

Edited by septembervirgin, 30 September 2012 - 09:05 PM.

TheTeaMustFlow

TheTeaMustFlow

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 94 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
How about one elven group takes inspiration from the Imperial Elven Navy of the Spelljammer D&D Setting, which somewhat switched the human v elf dynamic - the elves turned from isolationist smug hippies to expansionist equally smug British-Style Imperialists. How about having the elves actually do something other than exist to justify the universal elfin superiority complex. That, or let us smite them heartily, of course.

Gecimen

Gecimen

Bartender of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Gecimen
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I just don't want this game or hell even the overall lore to end up like WoW with regards to player character choice, I mean c'mon they are now offering PANDAS!!! Doesn't anyone else see that as a bizarro WTF move by Blizz!?

Umm... Nope.. and I also don't get what this has to do with P:E. If you have a species of choice, shoot and pray it gets included in the game somehow. If they put a species that you dislike, don't roll it.

For example, I hate elves. Seriously, I hate wood elves, high elves, drows and all kinds, I hate their lore, I hate their looks and I kill them wherever I get the option to (e.g. DA:O). But it's useless for me to shout around I don't want elves. I'm going to play P:E, with or without elves, just gonna skip rolling one and that's it.

Believe me, your taste in RPGs, that you think is the ultimate taste in the world, is one of millions in the world and not better nor worse than me or the next guy.

Wintersong

Wintersong

Tempest of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Fantasy is, to me, about letting the imagination run wild

Fanatsy running wild without any constraints is no different than a fairy tale like 3 Little Piggies.

Or Harry Potter's magic system/society.

Halflings are basically Hobbits just that D&D couldn't use that Tolkien name (as far as I was told). And altough over time they have gotten some different genetic branches, they are still hobbits.

IchigoRXC

IchigoRXC

Zerth of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Elephant people
Spoiler

Elerond

Elerond

One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2649 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Romantic vampires in red boots!

SirMonkeyMonk

SirMonkeyMonk

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 28 posts
I actually like to see races were the genders are truly different, someone unknown to the race could even mistake them for 2 different races. Some animals have pretty big differences between genders (a lot of birds, like pea****s), while some have hardly any. I don't think it's a common thing to see in cRPGs. The differences could be just in appearance, or even stat-wise.

Or going really bizarre, having races without genders or more than 2 genders?
  • cacota likes this

moridin84

moridin84

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 266 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I hope they don't have any undead in the game, playable or non-playable.

I'm kinda sick of zombies and vampires.

Gecimen

Gecimen

Bartender of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Gecimen
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I actually like to see races were the genders are truly different, someone unknown to the race could even mistake them for 2 different races. Some animals have pretty big differences between genders (a lot of birds, like pea****s), while some have hardly any. I don't think it's a common thing to see in cRPGs. The differences could be just in appearance, or even stat-wise.

Or going really bizarre, having races without genders or more than 2 genders?

More than 2 genders is interesting. Unlike genders remind me of Speaker for the Dead.

melkathi

melkathi

Teddy Bear Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3381 posts
  • Steam:melkathi
  • Kickstarter Backer

You know, a setting with the races from the Dark Crystal could be interesting...

Gelfling!

Skeksis rule Gelflings drool.

I had a big, goofy grin reading this :)

pid

pid

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Generally, classic "races" in RPGs define factions.
As long as good/evil factions are preserved (no evil halflings and no good orcs) it's alright with me.

DocDoomII

DocDoomII

Archvillain of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 844 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:DocDoomII
  • Kickstarter Backer
Anything not furry, necrotic or insectoid.

diablo169

diablo169

Vorpal Bunny of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 155 posts
No furrys, ever. Anything else is mostly fair game.

SirMonkeyMonk

SirMonkeyMonk

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 28 posts

Generally, classic "races" in RPGs define factions.
As long as good/evil factions are preserved (no evil halflings and no good orcs) it's alright with me.

I can imagine 'proper' civilized orcs living in high magical and advanced cities can ruin your experience, as it doesn't fit the traits which define orcish individuals (ferocious, strong, dumb). The same for highly industrious halfling communities which are strongly xenophobic, as halflings are generally known as open minded, not too future orientated and having a less materialistic lifestyle. Basically the races would only have their appearance left.

However, evil halflings aren't new and I don't think evil halfling communities would be shocking. Same for 'barbaric' orc tribes which are good. I don't like the idea PC races are strongly linked to factions, especially as humans are usually seen as the 'balanced' race which can be of multiple factions. This doesn't mean there can't be stereotypes linked to a race of course.

Vargr

Vargr

Cursed and Slightly Mad Berserker of The Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Hmm... I hope that whatever they come up with for their quirky, "odd" races/species, it's fairly down-to-earth.

I think in a fantasy world where you see too much weird stuff, it just becomes too much. Torment got away with it due to the setting, I might add.

But in this semi-historical world they seem to be creating with PE, if I commonly see lizard people or insectoids or minotaurs running about like it was normal,
I'd be disappointed.

I'd honestly like what "fantastical" races/species there are already (elves/dwarves) to be just that - fantastical.

I really dislike when elves and dwarves are just treated as normal humans with pointy ears or short, stocky build and a strange urge to dig holes.

Give them more character and uniqueness! Make them fairly uncommon, so whenever you come across an elf or a dwarf, you pause
and think "Wait... is that... Could it be...? Here..? Is he/she alone...? Is there a settlement/colony/secret entrance somewhere nearby...? Maybe it has
something unusual I could trade from it...?"

Something like that, I dunno.

As for the unannounced races/species, I'd definitely not want minotaurs or anything like that. Make them human-like, but with something.... off about them.
Something hard to define, but makes them obviously not human when you look at them.

I know, it's pretty vague. But that's how I'd prefer it, personally :p

Falkon Swiftblade

Falkon Swiftblade

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 777 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I didn't have an option to choose, I would've liked a bird race that was humanoid

HeedlessHorseman

HeedlessHorseman

Malaprop of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
It would make me deliriously happy if there were playable flumphs. And, of course, my flumph wold be a paladin.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: poll, species, races, race, playable

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users