"Other" Playable Species Poll

"Other" Species  

405 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like your "other" playable species?

• Totally true to AD&D
    • All humanoid
    • A little beastly
    • Completely different, original, or even outworldish
    • A mix of all
  2. 2. To be spesific, choose multiple choices that define your taste the best.

• Small humans (gnomes, halflings & hobbits)
    • Greenies (orcs, goblins, etc.)
    • Bull-ish (minotaurs, tauren, etc.)
    • Aquatic (merefolk, fishmen, etc.)
    • Demonic
    • Insectoid (Tri-kreen, etc.)
    • Werebeasts
    • Bearmen (Wookies, Pandaren, etc.)
    • Scalies (Draconic, Lizardmen etc.)
    • Undead (Zombie, Vampire etc.)

I'd like to see some more exotic races instead of the usual DnD gamut. I like playable undead or "planetouched", but those would depend on how they're presented. If they're ripped from a DnD manual, then no thanks.

I'd like to see some more exotic races instead of the usual DnD gamut. I like playable undead or "planetouched", but those would depend on how they're presented. If they're ripped from a DnD manual, then no thanks.

It's pretty hard not to rip from DnD, they covered quite a bit of ground with AD&D 2nd ed, basically every conceivable humanoid is covered, from hippo men (Giff, Spelljammer) to Minotaurs (Humanoids Supplements/Krynn) toad peeps (Bullywugs, Humanoids Supplement) Yetis (Alagai Humanoids) incorporeal beings of force (Lights, and Lantern Archons Planescape MC) mineral people (Various denizens of the Plane of Earth) and and and ....

I could go on but I think the point is made.

I dunno about this, maybe it was the way the poll has different choices listed, I initially wanted to vote with 'a mix of all', but then I start mulling over all the different options. Ended up going "&$#^ it" and voting D&D...

I just don't want this game or hell even the overall lore to end up like WoW with regards to player character choice, I mean c'mon they are now offering PANDAS!!! Doesn't anyone else see that as a bizarro WTF move by Blizz!?

I am completely cool with most stuff covered by D&D I guess, NWN2 and the player character choices you have there were heading towards too much choice imo.

I think maybe otherworldly peoples might be interesting, for a change! Maybe Greys, although Greys are so outre this period.

When I think of winged folk, I think of "They Fly at Ciron" by Samuel R Delany. Consequentially, I'd like to see winged folk.

Even though JES seems to feel insect-people are laughable, it might be interesting to have insect people in the game. Parasitic insect people might be interesting.

Edited by septembervirgin

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."

How about one elven group takes inspiration from the Imperial Elven Navy of the Spelljammer D&D Setting, which somewhat switched the human v elf dynamic - the elves turned from isolationist smug hippies to expansionist equally smug British-Style Imperialists. How about having the elves actually do something other than exist to justify the universal elfin superiority complex. That, or let us smite them heartily, of course.

`This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!` - God Emperor of Didcot by Toby Frost.

I just don't want this game or hell even the overall lore to end up like WoW with regards to player character choice, I mean c'mon they are now offering PANDAS!!! Doesn't anyone else see that as a bizarro WTF move by Blizz!?

Umm... Nope.. and I also don't get what this has to do with P:E. If you have a species of choice, shoot and pray it gets included in the game somehow. If they put a species that you dislike, don't roll it.

For example, I hate elves. Seriously, I hate wood elves, high elves, drows and all kinds, I hate their lore, I hate their looks and I kill them wherever I get the option to (e.g. DA:O). But it's useless for me to shout around I don't want elves. I'm going to play P:E, with or without elves, just gonna skip rolling one and that's it.

Believe me, your taste in RPGs, that you think is the ultimate taste in the world, is one of millions in the world and not better nor worse than me or the next guy.

Fantasy is, to me, about letting the imagination run wild

Fanatsy running wild without any constraints is no different than a fairy tale like 3 Little Piggies.

Or Harry Potter's magic system/society.

Halflings are basically Hobbits just that D&D couldn't use that Tolkien name (as far as I was told). And altough over time they have gotten some different genetic branches, they are still hobbits.

I actually like to see races were the genders are truly different, someone unknown to the race could even mistake them for 2 different races. Some animals have pretty big differences between genders (a lot of birds, like pea****s), while some have hardly any. I don't think it's a common thing to see in cRPGs. The differences could be just in appearance, or even stat-wise.

Or going really bizarre, having races without genders or more than 2 genders?

• Like 1

I actually like to see races were the genders are truly different, someone unknown to the race could even mistake them for 2 different races. Some animals have pretty big differences between genders (a lot of birds, like pea****s), while some have hardly any. I don't think it's a common thing to see in cRPGs. The differences could be just in appearance, or even stat-wise.

Or going really bizarre, having races without genders or more than 2 genders?

More than 2 genders is interesting. Unlike genders remind me of Speaker for the Dead.

You know, a setting with the races from the Dark Crystal could be interesting...

Gelfling!

Skeksis rule Gelflings drool.

I had a big, goofy grin reading this :)

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Generally, classic "races" in RPGs define factions.

As long as good/evil factions are preserved (no evil halflings and no good orcs) it's alright with me.

I can imagine 'proper' civilized orcs living in high magical and advanced cities can ruin your experience, as it doesn't fit the traits which define orcish individuals (ferocious, strong, dumb). The same for highly industrious halfling communities which are strongly xenophobic, as halflings are generally known as open minded, not too future orientated and having a less materialistic lifestyle. Basically the races would only have their appearance left.

However, evil halflings aren't new and I don't think evil halfling communities would be shocking. Same for 'barbaric' orc tribes which are good. I don't like the idea PC races are strongly linked to factions, especially as humans are usually seen as the 'balanced' race which can be of multiple factions. This doesn't mean there can't be stereotypes linked to a race of course.

Hmm... I hope that whatever they come up with for their quirky, "odd" races/species, it's fairly down-to-earth.

I think in a fantasy world where you see too much weird stuff, it just becomes too much. Torment got away with it due to the setting, I might add.

But in this semi-historical world they seem to be creating with PE, if I commonly see lizard people or insectoids or minotaurs running about like it was normal,

I'd be disappointed.

I'd honestly like what "fantastical" races/species there are already (elves/dwarves) to be just that - fantastical.

I really dislike when elves and dwarves are just treated as normal humans with pointy ears or short, stocky build and a strange urge to dig holes.

Give them more character and uniqueness! Make them fairly uncommon, so whenever you come across an elf or a dwarf, you pause

and think "Wait... is that... Could it be...? Here..? Is he/she alone...? Is there a settlement/colony/secret entrance somewhere nearby...? Maybe it has

something unusual I could trade from it...?"

Something like that, I dunno.

As for the unannounced races/species, I'd definitely not want minotaurs or anything like that. Make them human-like, but with something.... off about them.

Something hard to define, but makes them obviously not human when you look at them.

I know, it's pretty vague. But that's how I'd prefer it, personally :p

• 2 weeks later...

Ok.. Really, race choise sometimes can affect will I be interested in a game, or not. Like for me it is a pretty damn impotant thing.

As it is an RPG after all, I really want to role play.. And as it is fantasy game, I really (mean reeealy) want to play something not-so-human! C'mon, for playing human there are bunch of other settings and almost every other game in existence. So I really-really-really hope there will be some more choises besides Human-Elf-Dwarf-Halglings etc-etc-etc. They are generally just humans with different proportions.

Ok, and I do not mean that going crazy with insects and living wardrobes is a good thing either.. It can fit in sometimes, as somebody said, it fitted nice in Planescape, but just because of the setting.

Also, some choises are just unappealing for most people.. Imagine a furry giraffe. Or this is just silly... D'oh.

As has come from Skyrim madness, most people really liked how Khajiit looks there. Well, me included, thats one of my favorite not-human race interpritation in game. Seconded by Wizardry's Dracons: http://www.zimlab.co.../w8dracon2m.jpg And it is second only because there are not much lore about them (at least in 8, I did not play earlier games) and you can't see any 3d model of them in game. But those portraits are just awesome!

Or some pictures of Dragonlance's Draconians are also very attractive:

http://s294.photobuc...ze.jpg&newest=1

http://1.bp.blogspot...0/draconian.jpg

So.. Khajiits and Draconians will make me crying in happines.. Or something like it. Of course, if they are vizually appealing. Personally, I dont like to play ugly wild oversized monsters, like it is being made sometimes (see Guild Wars Charrs males.. Females looks better).

And speaking of Orcs.. I'm totally fine with them, but they are not appealing to me, no interest in roleplaying. But barbarian orc is a timeless classic, hehe

Edited by Drakkard

We already have enough playable races. Save the others for opponents.

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/