"Other" Playable Species Poll

"Other" Species  

405 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like your "other" playable species?

• Totally true to AD&D
    • All humanoid
    • A little beastly
    • Completely different, original, or even outworldish
    • A mix of all
  2. 2. To be spesific, choose multiple choices that define your taste the best.

• Small humans (gnomes, halflings & hobbits)
    • Greenies (orcs, goblins, etc.)
    • Bull-ish (minotaurs, tauren, etc.)
    • Aquatic (merefolk, fishmen, etc.)
    • Demonic
    • Insectoid (Tri-kreen, etc.)
    • Werebeasts
    • Bearmen (Wookies, Pandaren, etc.)
    • Scalies (Draconic, Lizardmen etc.)
    • Undead (Zombie, Vampire etc.)

Elves?

Well, they are a staple and at least they and dwarves make some biological/evolutionary sense. Basicly a off-shot of humans.

human-animals make no sense.

No sense in the real world. In mythology and popular fantasy, deities with animal forms mate and have human-animal mortal offspring.

Elves?

Elves&Dwarves aren't even new designs. I'm talking about human with blue/red/green faces or face tatoos.

Ah the Star Wars the Old Republic things that were supposed to be 'Alien Races' but were really just Humans with face paint sort of thing then? Oddly enough that bugged me because a few of the Star Wars species that they didn't bother with at all were genuinely alien looking. Always made me sad. I know some of the face paint species were genuine Star Wars favorites . . . but still. Bleh.

Edited by Umberlin

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

Elves?

Elves&Dwarves aren't even new designs. I'm talking about human with blue/red/green faces or face tatoos.

Ah the Star Wars the Old Republic thing that were supposed to be 'Alien Races' but were really just Humans with face paint sort of thing then? Oddly enough that bugged me because a few of the Star Wars species that they didn't bother with at all were genuinely alien looking. Always made me sad.

SWTOR and Everquest are two I can think of quickly. But many old cRPGs had wood elves, dark elves, moon elves, half orcs, and many other species that are simply recolored humans.

Agree about SWTOR species but it was an abomination of a game so I don't even want to discuss.

Sure they do. In a world full of magic, I see nothing odd about strange hybrids cropping up due to curses or magical experiments.

Anyway, I'm not really sure what to vote for in the poll, as I'm undecided on what I would want (which is part of the reason why I didn't create a poll for the other thread). As far as something reasonably traditional, I think my preference would be for something like the Dracha from Arcana Evolved (although I'm not a fan of lizardmen, so I didn't vote for that option in the poll):

BSOlh.png

However, as Hideo Kuze pointed out in the other thread, a dragonoid race might be too morphologically similar to demon/human hybrids, which we might be getting through the Godlike.

If dragon-people were out, I would maybe like to see some sort of wolf-men/jackal-men.

Really, my biggest concern with any race in the game is that it feels natural within the setting. I usually don't feel that medieval Europe themed fantasy woulds should have insect-men or lizard-men in them, but if Obsidian made a world where they did, I would be ok with their inclusion.

Edited by eimatshya
  • Like 1

Fantasy is, to me, about letting the imagination run wild, so going with Tolkien or D&D seems a little constrained. I say forget popular races, go back to scratch. Find your own inspiration in mythology, folklore, history, and nature. Even borrowing from Norse myth like Tolkien, you don't have to end up at the same place. Look at Pratchett and his elves. Even wanting "humans, but different" leaves a lot of creative room beyond elves and dwarves.

It's too late to win the fight on elves and dwarves, but I would like to see some new creativity with the remaining races.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Sure they do. In a world full of magic, I see nothing odd about strange hybrids cropping up due to curses or magical experiments.

You see nothing odd. I do.

They can work, but it depends A LOT on the world and what magic can do.

And even if a mgical experiment can create a wolf-man, where does the entire race come from? You'd need a LOT of them to form a breeding basis, and they need to be accepted by normal humans (otherwise they'd just be hunted down).

Fantasy is, to me, about letting the imagination run wild

Fanatsy running wild without any constraints is no different than a fairy tale like 3 Little Piggies.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Fanatsy running wild without any constraints is no different than a fairy tale like 3 Little Piggies.

I'm not sure what your point would be here. Fairy tales are just short stories of folklore. There's nothing wrong with them. But I don't think fantasy being open-bounded suddenly makes them short and part of an oral tradition.
  • Like 1

I'm not sure what your point would be here. Fairy tales are just short stories of folklore. There's nothing wrong with them. But I don't think fantasy being open-bounded suddenly makes them short and part of an oral tradition.

Haha nice one... And yes I agree the best fantasy is wild fantasy be it in a book or a bed :yes:

In all seriousness, PS:T which is one of the most unusual settings seen in a cRPG, turned out to be the best ever. I'm sure Obsidian can go even wilder than that.

• Like 1

Personally I'd be fine with a mix of unique human variants, which isn't represented in the poll.

Can you please define?

Well, for example, human races that mixed with others during ancient times, leaving them with some legacy of their original powers. Perhaps a longer lived, handsome strain that shows unusual resiliance against poison or disease; they are particularly artistic in nature. Or an elven-like strain with a unique penchant for certain magical arts. A tall strain, descended from half-giants, that is well endowed with physical stamina and strength. Mayhap even a fork-tongued clan of itinerant peoples who can inflict a burning toxic bite and possess the ability to see warmth. How about a changeling race that dwell among the humans in disguise, but have a beast-like natural form? &c. &c.

There can still be dwarves and elves, but they can be made reclusive and the subject of much distrust. Mediaeval humans are bigoted creatures who hold little trust for foreign humans; never mind other races entirely.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I think an aquatic race makes little sense (with the assumption that the adventure takes places on land) for the PC, why would aquatic being dwell on the land and not live in the water? Or if they don't live in the water, what purpose do their aquatic features even have? To me all half-mammal race suggestions are the same, unless there's something that truly sets them apart, like a size difference or unique ability like flying (plz don't add btw). I don't like the idea of half-animal, half human races too much, as it will likely turn out as a human with an animal paint job. I would prefer it if their second half isn't too much like humans. Also I think they would have some identity issues probably ;)

While some races make little sense to me, it's more important how the new races are different from the other ones, than their specific shape. I have no idea what the setting will be like I find it hard to imagine what would fit. I would much rather see the discussion go towards things as do we want the new races to be different on: size, ability scores, resistances, possibility to use specific equipment, more specialized towards specific (combat)roles, use soul power differently, unique abilities, etc.

For me, I want the races to be more than just ability score differences for sure. I want them more fundamentally different, which usually means they tend more towards the weird or bizarre.

I would prefer werewolfs and vampires. Other undead creatures are to "special" in my opion.

And "demonic humans" like Annah from Planescape: Torment.

I dont want to see "standard fantasy races" in every fantasy game. Vampires and werewolfs are fantasy too! Like lizardsmens, orks, goblins, and so on.

Why only human, elves and dwarves to be playable? Its kind of boring to play only this races in every game.

kind regards,

Jira

Edited by Jiraboas
  • Like 1

i want what ever races they do decide to put in to alter peoples reactions to you in game, i shouldn't be a vampire or merperson and walk up to people and get zero reaction, in RL people can be persecuted and killed simply for haveing a different skin color or from being from a different area, so npcs not having signifigant reactions to your characters race would be unrealistic and boring

I think an aquatic race makes little sense (with the assumption that the adventure takes places on land) for the PC, why would aquatic being dwell on the land and not live in the water? Or if they don't live in the water, what purpose do their aquatic features even have?

I think the only way for that to work would be to look at the habitats of semi-aquatic animals, like a beaver, polar bear or otter or go magical and have a "water elemental". Truly aquatic (fishmen and the like) or amphibious creatures (Frog men) don't really fit (unless they just have characteristics only of water or amphibious dwellers but are typically land dwelling which I think defeats the purpose of having them)

(Note I'm not saying having an Otterman race but look at the types of habitats and societies and adaptions the animals have and create a humanoid race that would have similar adaptions and habitats, then thinking through those adaptions into terms of race/character.).

Someday I'd like to see an aquatic RPG where aquatic races would make sense.

Mind you, I'd also like an RPG where the races were based on the Homininae (like Homo Sapiens, Homo floresiensis, Homo Neanderthalensis, Homo Habilis, australopithecus, or something). Not really this RPG though.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

What I loved about PS:T is how unique the characters in the game were. I understand that this is going to be more of a traditional fantasy setting, with humans, elves and dwarves, and it's certainly easier to take an existing fantasy race than to make a new one, but I'd love to see them add some exotic inhabitants to the game.

I don't specifically want a certain race, since I very much hope they'll put a spin on common fantasy and not deliver a same old same old Forgotten Realms-like game.

But what I would like is some racial variety fitting within the universe of the game. Minotaurs seem fun, for instance. Or werebeasts. A little something different. A mostly aquatic or flying race, perhaps? Could be fun.

Edited by Hmm-Hmm.
  • Like 1

So you want to play a RPG with talking piggies, a wolf that huffs and puffs, little red riding hood and similar?

Yes/no?

I want a robot race , yeah steampunk droids, warforged etc, yeah, i am so lame .

But back to the point I don't want demonic because they usually played as some tragic race, or card carying villians, I don't want anything that is bassicly human with animal head, this type of fantasy species annoy me the most and I dont even know why so pleasse no worgens, scallies, , I dont want small races because in most games they are shown as dwarves that arent dwarf enough to be a dwarf if this make any sense.and undead are expy bags you do not talk to the undead, really only thing thing I am okay in this poll is orcs (because green iz da best) and maybe insectoid race but even them are ussualy quite clique

Edited by Cryticus

So you want to play a RPG with talking piggies, a wolf that huffs and puffs, little red riding hood and similar?

Yes/no?

As specific elements in a specific formula, we're back on it being too constrained.

As vague elements in a broad universe, I can see just as much interesting things coming out of them as elves and dwarves. Need I remind you of Snow White?

Right, here are my thoughts on the matter. Long post so you might want to go make yourself a cup of tea and come back after I'm finished talking, I know I wouldn't listen to me.

First off, as much as people are tired of the 'same old' races, most attempts to either subvert them or create new ones usually end up worse in my opinion. They end up defined by that one subversion, or the new race is clearly just elves in a furry suit. Rather, I'd say go back to first basics and work from there: what is an elf? Well, they tend to live in woods, have good hearing, dextrous, have often been associated with the moon right? In that case maybe they should be nocturnal, with cat-like eyes for low light vision? Since they are often associated with the moon maybe they can be influenced it, like a full moon makes them more energetic and a no-moon makes them lazy (racial time of the month)? Since they're built for speed and good hunters, maybe they are descended from carnivorous predators, and have a very predatory and unnerving perspective and love the taste of fresh red meat? Already they're starting to be more unique while still being thematically the same.

Now consider the problem that the dwarves, halflings and gnomes have: they are essentially the klingons of the fantasy world, which means that they have been typecast into a very specific role and personality type as a whole race (hence why they are klingons, as klingons as a race are essentially 'boastful warriors' and little else). Less people play them as a result since they really only fit as one specific type of character, such as the dwarvern fighter or gnome illusionist, unless the player is playing a subversion, which is fun the first time but gets just as boring as the standard combination after that. Even elves have more variation in their standard personality types than each of these races do. I would solve this problem, along with the additional problem of having too many races, by merging all three into one race so that they are all different personality types of the same race, which I would call gnomes since it sounds fantasy and like an actual race as opposed to dwarves and halflings which sounds more like a descriptor (I know dwarves used to be taller in real world lore, but these days its synominous with short). The typical dwarvern personality would fit for the working class members of the race, gnome personality for the more scholarly members and so forth, and then encourage players to mix and match to create characters like the 'working class tinkerer' who yells and swears like a dwarf and is obsessive like a gnome, or the 'posh, beer swigging knight' who is always polite despite being sloshed all the time.

To be blunt, creating 'new' races often doesn't work out as great as people think, especially since usually they are still derived from typical fantasy anyway. These are my random thoughts anyway, take it how you all want. :)

Edited by FlintlockJazz
  • Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

long post

Dunno but still a little bit of courage and creativity works wonders. My favorite game when it comes to companions (and overall) is PS:T, not just because they have a unique background but also their looks and behaviours are magnificiently well drawn and unique.

As specific elements in a specific formula, we're back on it being too constrained.

As vague elements in a broad universe, I can see just as much interesting things coming out of them as elves and dwarves. Need I remind you of Snow White?

The new movie? That monstorsity?

Bleah..

Having fantasy run amok too much compeltely ruins any suspension of disbelief and gravitas...basicly makes it look like something for kids.