"Other" Playable Species Poll

"Other" Species  

405 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like your "other" playable species?

• Totally true to AD&D
    • All humanoid
    • A little beastly
    • Completely different, original, or even outworldish
    • A mix of all
  2. 2. To be spesific, choose multiple choices that define your taste the best.

• Small humans (gnomes, halflings & hobbits)
    • Greenies (orcs, goblins, etc.)
    • Bull-ish (minotaurs, tauren, etc.)
    • Aquatic (merefolk, fishmen, etc.)
    • Demonic
    • Insectoid (Tri-kreen, etc.)
    • Werebeasts
    • Bearmen (Wookies, Pandaren, etc.)
    • Scalies (Draconic, Lizardmen etc.)
    • Undead (Zombie, Vampire etc.)

There's another thread over this but it doesn't have a poll and I'm going to lose my eyesight trying to read all the pages.

Ok, so we've got human, elves and dwarves, and I'm also excluding all their subspecies (drow, tiefling and whatnot). So what "other" playable species would you like to see in the game?

I was going to add some more choices in the 2nd question but it has a limit of 10.

I'd love to see an "alien" - a human from our world from some distant future equipped only with knowledge and some technology that crashed on the planet.

But since it's probably impossible it would be nice to see some lesbian amazons.

Whether it would be playable or only a companion doesn't matter for me.

Edited by buggeer

Humanoid...because that's what we're going to get.

Think about it for a bit.

Something truly different would have a completely different anatomy.

Which would require compeltely different armor and clothing models.

Which would take far more time and resources.

Besedis, abberations are an affront to the Emperor. Purge the unclean!

• Like 1

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Shameful but I can't find how to edit a post.... If I can I'll clarify the choices further, but I think there's a time limit.

Werebeasts include; werewolves, wererats, werebears etc.

Demonic includes incorporeal and outer plane beings. Not just horned deamons.

Greenies include ogres, half giants, trolls and all sort of stuff.

Small humans include faeries and that sort of little human shaped species.

Undead include ghosts but I don't think ghosts would be a very popular choice.

Edited by Gecimen

I didn't really see anything in the second tier that I'd ask for.

I'm not a fan of reusing the typical fantasy races, but they can be done well. Heck anything can be done well. Beast races, however, have never really sat well with me. Somehow the usual, 'slap together a Human and whatever animal is handy' approach comes off as lazy every time, no matter how well fleshed out they are from a story perspective.

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

I'm not a fan of reusing the typical fantasy races, but they can be done well. Heck anything can be done well. Beast races, however, have never really sat well with me. Somehow the usual, 'slap together a Human and whatever animal is handy' approach comes off as lazy every time, no matter how well fleshed out they are from a story perspective.

Well mythology is full of animal headed people though. And since LotR RPG settings have been deriving from mythology.

Well mythology is full of animal headed people though. And since LotR RPG settings have been deriving from mythology.

True. It doesn't really make some random author slapping a Human and a Goat together come off as any less lazy to me. If anything it would make it seem even more lazy.

True. It doesn't really make some random author slapping a Human and a Goat together come off as any less lazy to me. If anything it would make it seem even more lazy.

Well except for very innovative ones. You can design countless different creatures out of X animal/human combination.

What I find lazy is normal human with a little make up.

Edited by Gecimen
  • Like 1

Well except for very innovative ones. You can design countless different creatures out of X animal/human combination.

What I find lazy is normal human with a little make up.

Elves? :getlost: Bleh.

To be honest some of my favorite Fantasy setting just use fictional Humans with ficitional visual racial groupings. I believe the Assassins of Tamurin did that, and took care to keep it fictional and not just parallels to real world races. At the end of the day most races I see writers and developers come up with really are just Human anyways, sure, they might have an Orc or Elf or Cat-Person coat of paint over the Human but they're still pretty much Human just in an Elf suit.

If I want a new race, I want a new race, and not just a Human in disguised as something else. One of the literature courses I took in College made us try and take a pretty normal Human being, in terms of how they looked, and make them as alien as possible in personality. It was an excersize of comfort zone, to see just how 'not Human' you could make a character before it could uncomfortable.

Oddly enough most people lost their comfort zone really early on, not over major stuff, but over some of the most simple cultural differences that exist right in our world today. Probably says something sad about the fifty something readers the instructor spontaneously drafted.

Edited by Umberlin
  • Like 1

Elves?

Well, they are a staple and at least they and dwarves make some biological/evolutionary sense. Basicly a off-shot of humans.

human-animals make no sense.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!