Wizards. Why do the wear dressing gowns and dunce caps?

They should look a bit more like this:

http://i.imgur.com/hjIos.jpg

I don't think that mages should look like druids... Druids should look like druids.

Anyway, some mages wear pants or light leather, others wear robes. Its all good. :)

Remember this guy?

jonirenicus.jpg

In the BG and Icewind Dale games the only mage that wore a "dunce hat" (as you like to say), as far as I can remember, was Elminster. And Elminster was the most powerful wizard in the forgotten realms setting. Elminster rocks! :D

Edited by dlux

:closed:

The dunce hat is also not the pointy hat I refer to. This is the pointy gandalf hat wizards wear:

3067544.png

Notice the wide brim ideal for keeping the rain and sun off you (essential for travelling) and the point sweeping backwards instead of straight up? That's because it's awesome.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

The dunce hat is also not the pointy hat I refer to. This is the pointy gandalf hat wizards wear:

3067544.png

Notice the wide brim ideal for keeping the rain and sun off you (essential for travelling) and the point sweeping backwards instead of straight up? That's because it's awesome.

Don't be silly. We enchant our hats to eat indisciplined apprentices. Rain is warded against with a simple veil.

• Like 1

Personally, I've always been a fan of magitech. You know, a gem studded gauntlet on one arm, some crystalls embedded into the sleeve on the other, runes stitched into the back of a duster, maybe some more runs on a set of metal greaves top it all off with some glowing lines conducting power to different pieces and possibly leading to a glowing crest on the chest. That sort of thing. Obviously that wouldn't work for many, or even most, cultures but I think it would be really cool if there was a really heavily magic oriented society (possibly of the ancient and lost variety) that had almost futuristic looking armor.

Baring that, I'd probably prefer pant's and a duster, though I might go for hakama or a similar style of extra wide pants. They have the advantage of allowing you to include all kinds of arcane detail on them since they're almost as wide as robes but they also allow for more freedom of movement since they're pants.

That said I wouldn't mind a set of armored robes a la Saber from Fate/Stay Night.

When I play Mage/Wizard/Sorcerer/etc-type characters, be it in a video game or TT, I usually try to make my character not look like the traditional "robes n' hood" wizard. Whether it's to pick up clothes to make me look like a simple or well-to-do traveler (like that Triss concept art from The Witcher 2 already posted a couple of times) or pick up heavier armor normally meant for another class, my chacters never anounce thier skill in magic until things go sideways. Definitly want both of those options avaible when it comes to gearing up any of the spellcasters in my party for this game.

• Like 1

@Stiller

Add minimum str requirements for armor and we are good to go.. you can dress up all the classes as you see fit, as long as they have enough str to actually be able to wear the thing.

I don't think you understand what I mean. by making armor have a str requirement doesn't fix anything or help anything.

I'm not asking to take a "mage" and put him in armor. I'm asking for a melee based fighter that uses magic, has skills buitl around this (rather then mage skills that are usually range based).

Make the class use str as their mage abilities also instead of the normal "wis/int" that mages use so he isn't penalized for having to get both str + wis/int."

Truth be told, yeah, I do prefer enchanted robes and traveling cloaks over what pretty much appeared to be dresses. Or the dresses are just fashionable, higher tier mage clothes that are ridiculously enchanted. But yeah, at least more practical stuff for the traveling spell slinger.

I would actually love something that is similar to my avatar for my wizard. A fully covering shawl and robe combination to keep the sun, the elements, and stray bits of magic from damaging the spellcaster's skin.

It also has to be bright blue. Any other color simply won't do.

I actually don't care how my wizard is going to be dressed as long as it looks good. But, considering the game is going to be isometric, it's unlikely that I can adore what characters will wear. Ah, well, at least I know I'm going to immensely enjoy Dragon Age 3 for awesome dresses if for nothing else.

Updated my journal.

I actually don't care how my wizard is going to be dressed as long as it looks good. But, considering the game is going to be isometric, it's unlikely that I can adore what characters will wear. Ah, well, at least I know I'm going to immensely enjoy Dragon Age 3 for awesome dresses if for nothing else.

Wasn't it said in some update that the game is going to use 3d models over 2d backgrounds? Clothes should have 3d models in this case.

It makes no sense as a class (or skill system) that developers can't design around this. It has worked fine in some games (Dragon age arcane warrior, D&D style cleric also comes to mind as a decent fitgher/armor user with some magic).

The Arcane Warrior was horribly broken.... as it is often the case when people want the best of all worlds in one class.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

@Stiller

Add minimum str requirements for armor and we are good to go.. you can dress up all the classes as you see fit, as long as they have enough str to actually be able to wear the thing.

Just a STR requirement? To use effectively, armor would require training (skill/feat).

After all, it takes traingin to learn how to most efficiently move in armor, how to position yourslf for best protection/deflection. Also to build up stamina and get accustomed to wearing it.

Of course, anyone can equip armor if strong enough, but wihout proper training, it's not as effective.

Without training you'd get less protection, bigger armor check penalty and bigger fatigue drain.

@Stiller

Just a STR requirement? To use effectively, armor would require training (skill/feat).

After all, it takes traingin to learn how to most efficiently move in armor, how to position yourslf for best protection/deflection. Also to build up stamina and get accustomed to wearing it.

Of course, anyone can equip armor if strong enough, but wihout proper training, it's not as effective.

Without training you'd get less protection, bigger armor check penalty and bigger fatigue drain.

That's more to do with plate and chain armor, what about leather? What reasonable excuse is there to restrict mages from wearing leather armor?

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

[Wizards] have to creep through dangerous ruins and zap monsters while carrying spell components, scrolls, crystal balls, wands, toads and stuff.

See, I was always under the impression that they kept that stuff in the oversized sleeves, folds and countless hidden pockets of their robes?... :huh:

I do have a soft spot for the Gandalf look, but it's not a requirement for me and a more practical look for spellcasters could be cool too. Of the concepts shown in this thread so far, I really like the Pathfinder stuff and the Witcher 2 design.

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

@Stiller

I don't think you understand what I mean. by making armor have a str requirement doesn't fix anything or help anything.

I'm not asking to take a "mage" and put him in armor. I'm asking for a melee based fighter that uses magic, has skills buitl around this (rather then mage skills that are usually range based).

Make the class use str as their mage abilities also instead of the normal "wis/int" that mages use so he isn't penalized for having to get both str + wis/int."

I disagree with a concept of a fighter, who casts spells on equal level as a mage, but is more combat/buff oriented. It will be more broken than a cleric from 3.5 ed DnD...

I also do not see how building up a body mass would help you learn new spells?

Fighting - physical attributes

Casting spells - non-physical attributes

Wizards will have enough array of spells for you to freely chose from. So if you want to have a fighter using spells, just pick a wizard, pick combat perks, distribute evenly between str/con/dex and whatever mental stats are there. Wear armor of your choice, as long as you are strong enough to wear it, and cast whatever spells you like for this particular swordmage type.

The game will have limited number of classes, and designing some archetypes should be a priority. The archetypes themselves will practically fill the list of available classes.

Should you want to make a fighting mage or a casting fighter, just mutliclass or balance out your stats accordingly...

The idea you gave (all abilities of fighter + magic deriven from str) is just an invitation to a min/max build that can break the balance of a game. In each game, where there is some tactical level of play, there should be trade-offs. Brawl vs magic is one of them.

• Like 1

We call them trousers where I come from, but I agree that spellcasters might choose to wear them. The extremely sexy Triss from The Witcher (see pics posted by Zero) is a good example of a non Toga-wearing mage.

Ahh, Triss... *eyes glaze over*

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

It makes no sense as a class (or skill system) that developers can't design around this. It has worked fine in some games (Dragon age arcane warrior, D&D style cleric also comes to mind as a decent fitgher/armor user with some magic).

The mage was horribly broken

There, I fixed that for you. The easiest runs through that game were the three mage party with the summoned dog. None of the mages had to be cheese either.

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

Battlemage would be a warrior able to cast effective spells which could be either restoration or destruction or a combination. or actually any school of magic. However without restrictions this class could easily become over balanced but that is true of any class. Balancing out the classes is the challenge the developers face.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

@Stiller

if it's a point buy system the str requirements and weight limits with encumbrance will be enough, given that encumbrance effect will give negatives to "to-hit", "defense", "spell-casting", "movement speed". In 3.5 ed DnD cRPG you did not have a min. str requirement, but you had weight limits and feats that sort of were doing the similar role as the min. str requirement.

I'd say that if heavy armor gives penalty to dex based skills and requires you to have very high str, it does not really need more mechanics to make it a "trade-offs" game in a point buy system.

Edited by Darkpriest
  • Like 1

I'd say it won't be enough. For one thing, dex-based penalties for spellcasting in armor? I never got that.. good armor alows a full range of motion.

Also it doens't make sense. Armor requires training to use properly. You might as well remove weapon skills while you're at it. Anyone who is strong enough to swing a swrod is equally good at it?

• Like 1