Wizards. Why do the wear dressing gowns and dunce caps?

Hopefully the paper dolls / avatars will allow for amusing blend of non-mage and mage gear, i.e. a plate-mailed wizard wearing a long pointy hat.

Love it! Immediately gain 100000000000000 internet cred and cookies from this rabbit. Don't spend it all in one forum!

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Why do the wear dressing gowns and dunce caps?

Because they make us feel cool.

Robes are cheap, can be made from simple but sturdy cloth, protect you from cold and wind and generally are better suited for all weather than some leather top. Hat helps against rain and insects from trees above.

Edited by Shadenuat
  • Like 1

I tend to find the people that can't figure the difference between a robe and a dress baffling.

Take a look at your history books. Pants? They weren't a thing for a great mass of time. Clothes came in a great deal of varities prior to, and during, the advent of pants, and most of them would cause the usual drivel spewing gutter brains to call them dresses or skirts. Honestly I didn't like the movie much, but take a look at Troy even . . . not much in the way of pants. I think it was the only thing I actually enjoyed about that waste of film. The costuming was lovely.

That said I'm all for variety of magic user type clothing. The more the merrior as far as I'm concerned. Honestly I think you can get really creative with such garb, and pull from a variety of sources to make for interesting magic user wear. However, I'd also remind everyone that there may be no cloth type restriction in the first place . . .

• Like 1

"Step away! She has brought truth and you condemn it? The arrogance!

You will not harm her, you will not harm her ever again!"

I'm REALLY hoping in this game we aren't restricted what we can wear because we are a "mage." That's so cliche and the only point to it is that it restricts player choice.

I hate wearing cloth armor, I always like wearing plate and such. Really like to play a hybrid magic/melee fighter, but that's a class that usually isnt' in rpgs aside from a "paladin" buffbot.

I want a dps based arcane warrior type of class that can use magic and wear armor.

• Like 1

I would say that robes are ok, if you are going to stay within the halls of mage guild... There might be some versions of traveling robes, but for adventuring, dungeon crawling and combat, such designs are simply not practical... imagine, if you need to climb, jump, etc. in such an outfit... unless you know the flight spell, such an outfit is very impractical ;)

For combat they would probably wear some very light chainshirts, some steel cap, all that made lightweight by magic, to enable them freedom of movement. Traveling stuff and scholary stuff are very different thing

I'm REALLY hoping in this game we aren't restricted what we can wear because we are a "mage." That's so cliche and the only point to it is that it restricts player choice.

I hate wearing cloth armor, I always like wearing plate and such. Really like to play a hybrid magic/melee fighter, but that's a class that usually isnt' in rpgs aside from a "paladin" buffbot.

I want a dps based arcane warrior type of class that can use magic and wear armor.

in 3,5 ed you had a guy called Eldrich Knight, and you could have also used still spell feat. There has to be a trade-off... you cannot be good at fighting in full armor and casting magic...

A good thing here would be simply str restrictions on armors... if you want to wear it, you need to have high enough str... if you commit str to your wizard, then go ahead and wear that full plate armor.

Reasons are likely that wizards are scholars and in some cultures scholars wear robes (ie, cap and gown), as well as judges, officials, etc. That's why old pictures of alchemists all seem to have a certain style.

Generally no one ever wears armor unless they're a soldier or guard and even then not all the time. It's inconvenient to walk around the home in armor, to wear armor to the market, etc. You put on the armor when you expect to be in combat. If you're traveling you don't even wear your most heavy armor either (I was also never a fan of the walking-steel-can guy).

Hello.

I hope that spell-casters in this game don't look like they were dressed by Hugh Heffner. Mages tend to schlep about in robes, togas, dressing gowns, dresses.

Surely you mean Don Hugh d'Heffner, the nefarious 14th century courtier and philanderer? Why good sir, such splendid robes and pointed hats have been worn with aplomb since the very dawn of fashion. Surely you are aware of such sensibilities? :yes:

Edited by rjshae
  • Like 3

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

First of all, we can't usually jump nor climb in isometric games.

Second, wizards are not supposed to do such mundane acts like climbing or jumping. I have my Spider Climb, Levitate and Jump spells for that anyway.

Third, ritualistic garment comes from the idea that some mystic forces require specific clothes, incense, candles, ingredients and place to do magy stuff.

And forth, robes *are* comfy and warm.

So get your ******* hands off my robe and hat! And my staff! And my bunny familiar!

I there won't be robes and hats in game, I AM CANCELLING MY PLEDGE! Okay?! Thanks!

...just kidding. But I do like robes and hats. Sorry.

• Like 1

First of all, we can't usually jump nor climb in isometric games.

Second, wizards are not supposed to do such mundane acts like climbing or jumping. I have my Spider Climb, Levitate and Jump spells for that anyway.

Third, ritualistic garment comes from the idea that some mystic forces require specific clothes, incense, candles, ingredients and place to do magy stuff.

And forth, robes *are* comfy and warm.

So get your ******* hands off my robe and hat! And my staff! And my bunny familiar!

I there won't be robes and hats in game, I AM CANCELLING MY PLEDGE! Okay?! Thanks!

...just kidding. But I do like robes and hats. Sorry.

agreed. i like the classic wizard look. I don't think its necessary, but I do like it.

The Pathfinder Wizard...

http://images.wikia....der5-Wizard.jpg

No robes and wizard hats. Just appropriate travelling gear, a stick and a crossbow.

That is very nice work of art.

All look good, even that elven evil looking mage, like the styling...its "elvish", just less pointy stuff on the dresses. Never liked those.

• Like 1

magic021.jpg

The wearing of robes dates way back. The leisure class, those who did no hard work wore robes. Scholars, priests, the wealthy. It was a kind of status symbol saying :I am special. I do not have to dirty my hands and do physical labor like some commoner or soldier." Just how it came to denote wizards I have no idea. I do find it silly in games such as this were the magic user is tramping around in filthy dungeons, caves, brambles, and only the gods know what. Why that particular hat? I would like to know that too.

The outfits for magic users should fit the culture they leave in.

Yes, some where it was posted that magic users would be able to wear armour. I was happy to hear that.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

in 3,5 ed you had a guy called Eldrich Knight, and you could have also used still spell feat. There has to be a trade-off... you cannot be good at fighting in full armor and casting magic...

A good thing here would be simply str restrictions on armors... if you want to wear it, you need to have high enough str... if you commit str to your wizard, then go ahead and wear that full plate armor.

Why have a trade off?

I mean explain to me why as a magic wielding warrior type of class, they can't have their OWN skill tree's and thing sdesigned around that class?

i'm not asking for a normal range-based mage nuker class wearing armor, I'm asking for a kick ass melee fighter who can use armor/weapons and magic.

I do not get why I should be penalized for wanting a class like that instead of generic cliche "pointy hat mage" or "nonmagic using armor wearing melee fighter." which is what most rpgs stick you with.

It makes no sense as a class (or skill system) that developers can't design around this. It has worked fine in some games (Dragon age arcane warrior, D&D style cleric also comes to mind as a decent fitgher/armor user with some magic).

Those aren't dunce caps ... they're Conical Towers of Sharpened Doom!

....but I, too, would enjoy magic-users that do not (have to) dress in the average fantasy archetype of robes, cloth hats and slippers. Based on the bit of information in the updates that we have, I'm going to guess that we're going to get it. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

From the limited information provided about the diverse cultures and ethnic groups in the game world, I would hope for some diversity among mages and spellcasters as well.

Why not have the option of playing a scholarly type of mage and then next playthrough perhaps a tribal shaman from one of the tribes in the Southern Boreal region, for example.

Edited by IcyDeadPeople
  • Like 1