Wizards. Why do the wear dressing gowns and dunce caps?

Hello.

I hope that spell-casters in this game don't look like they were dressed by Hugh Heffner. Mages tend to schlep about in robes, togas, dressing gowns, dresses.

Why? They have to creep through dangerous ruins and zap monsters while carrying spell components, scrolls, crystal balls, wands, toads and stuff.

They should look a bit more like this:

http://i.imgur.com/hjIos.jpg

Than this:

http://community.wizards.com/dndnext/go/thread/view/75882/28956183/Cartoons_on_DD_art

Please post great wizard pics of spellcasters not dressed for a slumber party.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

Psychers and mutants *should* have to wear visible stigma, making their crime against humanity plain for all to see with the naked eye.

• Like 6

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Well, if their dresses robes could be fastened at the bottom, say with a zip or buttons (perhaps as a large hem that folds down... I'm thinking too much about something that I'm suggesting as a joke), and came with a hood then they could easily convert it into a sleeping bag :D

I agree with you, I want to see more magic users (male and female) wearing pants, or shorts, or something that isn't big and billowy. Even big billowy pants would be preferable. Would be nice to find climate appropriate gear for the region you're in, too.

Edited by Shades

Well, if their dresses robes could be fasted at the bottom, say with a zip or buttons (perhaps as a large hem that folds down... I'm thinking too much about something that I'm suggesting as a joke), and came with a hood then they could easily convert it into a sleeping bag :D

I give you the infamous Bundeswehr sleeping bag of the 1980s. I used to have one.

http://www.google.co...,r:24,s:0,i:144

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

well, the antler helm don't look much more practical than a dunce cap, but am largely in agreement with mc. at the very least, we would like to have the option to be giving our spellcaster some freaking pants.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

From what you give as an alternate example, I would say no. I don't care for my wizard to look like a shaman, with a half-naked torso and ridiculously huge hands and staves.

I'm all for variety though, and I would probably prefer something more movement/combat friendly, anyway. Heavy robe skirts tend to get in the way.

• Like 2

On a more serious note, I got the impression from one of the interviews that "mages" could wear platemail and still do their hand waving stuff. It's entirely possible that they wont stand out in a crowd just by their dress code.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

They do that because the wizards are based on historical seers, alchemists and astrologers like this guy.

Shamans and witch doctors as well. Generally those guys didn't go in to battle though, nevermind dungeons.

Generally when you're an unwashed smelly researcher with scruffy hair, you just toss a mumu all over that,

a silly hat to hide the hair, maybe sprinkle a bit of perfume and you're good and set to see the king...

• Like 1

On a more serious note, I got the impression from one of the interviews that "mages" could wear platemail and still do their hand waving stuff. It's entirely possible that they wont stand out in a crowd just by their dress code.

I don't know enough about the world yet. But I would prefer it if mages could blend in as say a commoner, noble, adventurer or what have you.

Edited by Zero
  • Like 1

pants. is a pair o' pants too much to ask for?

HA! Good Fun!

ps we dont want a mage class. let any character choose spellcasting abilities... and pants

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Dislike the OP's prefered pic immensely, sorry. I also see no reason to hate on the awesomeness of the gandalf hat, done right they are awesome! According to the aforementioned interviews I expect to see mages wearing some plate and chain (perhaps hidden under their robes) which would be awesome since I never got the whole 'mages cant wear armour!' thing. "Dresses" though isn't that bad a thing since men historically wore skirts and the like all the time.

• Like 2

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Concept artists do seem adverse to having visible pants on mage-type characters.

If people have been watching Game of Thrones, I could see mages in outfits similar to those donned by Littlefinger and Daenerys (the one with the pauldron) . Granted in the latter's case it would have to be in the right setting (e.g. desert-like).

Edited by Zero

Hopefully the paper dolls / avatars will allow for amusing blend of non-mage and mage gear, i.e. a plate-mailed wizard wearing a long pointy hat.

Battle mage Merlin? :brows:

Truth be said though, I would prefer more variety than the "robes, plate or GTFO" motto.

• Like 2

To answer the WHY

Wizards/mages have been inspired by veziers/sages/shamans. These type didn't really go to war and generall wore robes.

Also, I guess the goal was to make wizzards visually destinct, which is surely did.

Staffs, robes and pointy hats (or hoods) have becomy synonimus with wizzards.

Taht said - as the Spoony One said - it also makes sense for a wizzard ot hide that he's a wizzard. Because everyone will go after the guy that can fireball you in the face. So when PnP-ing, he would wear different outfits (or light armor) and carry a sword, jsut so the enemies coldn't pick him out of the crowd before it's too late.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!