$2.0M: so very close!

...uhh...of course it's selfish. After all Obsidian won't pay me out a share of the profit from the finished product, so why should I care for any stretch goal that solely is good for maximizing their bottom line ? I want Obsidian to make a (hefty) profit, of course -but that doesn't translate to the kickstarter -like at all.

Seriously? More profits for Obsidian, mean a higher chance for an other game and more content for that as well. No offence, but you are really shortsighted here.

Edited by kenup

I am going to be blunt. I find this fixation on the announcement of translations depressing and selfish. Oh, that doesn't give me anything so I don't think it is needed. If this game is successful it will mean more games like it. To make those games Obsidian will need money. Are you going to help fund every game they make? Why shoudn't Obsidian make a profit off this game? Publishers have been making profits for years now. Why shouldn't the developers of the game start getting that profit. I have pledged more to back this project than I would normally pay for a game. I pledged that extra money because I want this to be a success. I want to be able to get decent games not only now but in the future. Maybe even some of the players that think that the watered down, buggy games of the current time are all there are will realize that isn't true.

I can't save the world in real life but even if my contribution is small if it helps even one person that is all I ask. I am not pledging because I want a tee shirt or a forum badge but because I want games to be worth playing and paying for. Well I do want that Novella. :)

Hokay, Nakia is getting annoyed. :banghead:

Thank heavens, while I was composing my rant someone came up with a really good idea. Haunted house, mystery that is just my cup of tea. :D

...uhh...of course it's selfish. After all Obsidian won't pay me out a share of the profit from the finished product, so why should I care for any stretch goal that solely is good for maximizing their bottom line ? I want Obsidian to make a (hefty) profit, of course -but that doesn't translate to the kickstarter -like at all.

Well PE being profitable would result in Obsidian having a new franchise they can leverage to develop new game that we will be happy to buy and play. All the better for everybody !

True. If the game is a success, everybody wins. But realise that since this is an english board, everybody posting here was likely already capable of playing/would enjoy playing the game in english. Sure, they might prefer the game in their native tongue, but there's nobody here who can suddenly play the game because it's been translated.

Well PE being profitable would result in Obsidian having a new franchise they can leverage to develop new game that we will be happy to buy and play. All the better for everybody !

What I'm saying is that, right now, Obisidian needs to maximize the pledges for their kickstarter. You do that best by announcing interesting stretch goals to potential backers...so basically anything that extends the game many are already interested in. Linux/ Mac / additional language support isn't something you catch new pledges with. That stuff is only later interesting for potential buyers.

Edited by BSoda

True. If the game is a success, everybody wins. But realise that since this is an english board, everybody posting here was likely already capable of playing/would enjoy playing the game in english. Sure, they might prefer the game in their native tongue, but there's nobody here who can suddenly play the game because it's been translated.

Most forum users and kickstarter backers are indeed english users, indeed. That precisely the aim of localization : to help the customer stretching beyond the initial backers / forum users. The translation is not about having backers to play the game : the very fact that they pledged already means they will.

PE, if it is to become a succesfull franchise, should aim beyond the 46K backers / customers. Hence the localization.

• Like 1

What I'm saying is that, right now, Obisidian needs to maximize the pledges for their kickstarter. You do that best by announcing interesting stretch goals to potential backers...so basically anything that extends the game many are already interested in. Linux/ Mac / additional language support isn't something you catch new pledges with. That stuff is only later interesting for potential buyers.

You will get some more backers, but I do get your point.

So what would be a good stretch? 2.4m and they’ll add dragons? ;)

Edited by Macbeth

Chronicler of the Obsidian Order; for the pen is mightier than the sword!

You will get some more backers, but I do get your point.

So what would be a good stretch? 2.4m and they’ll add dragons? ;)

Something many potential backers would be interested in, of course. Perhaps that mega-dungeon many here in the forum are longing for, an additional town with quests and NPC or even romances (though that probably would piss off a lot of forum goers as well). Something...interesting that's not additional languages or similar stuff.

Edited by BSoda

I think stretch goals so far were cool but nothing that would justify surge of new backers. 2.2 is set to be broken in 3-4 days, I think bigger updates about story, some concept art, info about some characters (of course without revealing any important story specifics) or something that would really encourage new backers or existing backers to give more money, because it has been known for few days that 2.2 will be reached soon.

I'm curious when they are going to introduce Paypal for those without credit cards. The initial "take off from the ground" target has been reached with a fairly good safety margin.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Do they ? Increasing Kickstarter funding is a good thing, but at some point, we have to consider that:

1/ the game is already funded

2/ With already almost 47 000 backers the funding potential from Kickstarter is eroding. Take a look at similar projects : Wastelands 2 gathered 61 290 backers (and USD 2,9M), Shadowrun Returns 36 276 backers (and USD 1,8M). Tim Schaffer gathered 87K backers indeed, but there are still 20 days to go, and the kind of project he made might be more "mainstream" than the classical cRPG PE aims at being.

So, now, the next growth relay for Obsidian would rather be final sales. Translations are expected to contribute to them.

And, again, we have to stop focusing on the translation bit of the stretch goal : the 2.2M target is mainly about adding a new region.

• Like 1

I'm curious when they are going to introduce Paypal for those without credit cards. The initial "take off from the ground" target has been reached with a fairly good safety margin.

I read on here that Feargus said it would be available from October 3. Not sure which thread.

I am going to be blunt. I find this fixation on the announcement of translations depressing and selfish. Oh, that doesn't give me anything so I don't think it is needed. If this game is successful it will mean more games like it. To make those games Obsidian will need money. Are you going to help fund every game they make? Why shoudn't Obsidian make a profit off this game? Publishers have been making profits for years now. Why shouldn't the developers of the game start getting that profit. I have pledged more to back this project than I would normally pay for a game. I pledged that extra money because I want this to be a success. I want to be able to get decent games not only now but in the future. Maybe even some of the players that think that the watered down, buggy games of the current time are all there are will realize that isn't true.

I can't save the world in real life but even if my contribution is small if it helps even one person that is all I ask. I am not pledging because I want a tee shirt or a forum badge but because I want games to be worth playing and paying for. Well I do want that Novella. :)

Hokay, Nakia is getting annoyed. :banghead:

Thank heavens, while I was composing my rant someone came up with a really good idea. Haunted house, mystery that is just my cup of tea. :D

That is precisely my point. Obsidian isn't taking nothing away from those who have pledged. All they are doing is adding something. I just find the trslation attitude a dog in the manger attitude. I don't need so why should it be done.

I don't need romance in my games but that doesn't mean I object to it in games. I just don't care. So you don't need a translation of the game but someone else does. So why should you care if Obsidian translates the game into some other language? You lose nothing by it. It isn't costing you anything.

Let's talk about mystery stories that actually might be something worthwhile and something Obsidian can use.

Edited by Nakia
  • Like 2

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

Isn't Germany a big market for cRPGs? I thought that Gothic games were wildly popular there.

(Could someone confirm or deny?).

Big market for cRPGs -tiny market for potential backers.

Well, the game is already funded anyway. It's not only about backers, but about future customers who will buy the game at release.

Perhaps more press coverage is needed in the European countries?

I think the issue is that many Germans don't use/have credit cards. As soon as there is a Paypal option, more Germans (as myself) should pledge for the game.

Let's talk about mystery stories that actually might be something worthwhile and something Obsidian can use.

Haha, yes. I would hope for some Agatha Christie style murder. E.g. after you did a quest for some landlord he invites you to his mansion to celebrate. During the celebration someone is killed and because the landlord thinks you're the only neutral guest and trusts you, you're asked to solve the murder. During investigation you find out that many of the other guests actually had a motive and using the various witness testimonies and clues you find you have to deduce who did it and how he/she did it.

Well, stuff like that.

Edited by Lusankya

Yeah but it is kind of hard to get coverage in European countries as English speaking players usually use international gaming sites like IGN or Gamespot and non-English speaking players won't be able to get enough information (and they usually do not use Amazon).

Paypal would be handy for that, but I think the more money the better for a game = better sales after release = big chance for Obsidian to get some kind of independence. But to get more money stretch goals must be from this point on more than new races etc, Look how Wasteland 2 picked up steam after some updates http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/#chart-daily

Isn't Germany a big market for cRPGs? I thought that Gothic games were wildly popular there.

(Could someone confirm or deny?).

Big market for cRPGs -tiny market for potential backers.

That really doesn't add up.

Chronicler of the Obsidian Order; for the pen is mightier than the sword!