$2.0M: so very close!

I'm guessing in the next 12 hours. The only thing *very* apparent, though, is the fact the additional language support obviously was a pretty uninteresting stretch goal for backers. Not that surprisingly, imo.

Edited by BSoda
  • Like 1

I support localisation as I think it's a useful strategic feature for future sales. But I am inclined to agree with BSoda in that, as a stretch goal, it does kind of lack va-va-voom.

I don't mind the current theme of stretch goals but more details might fire the imagination of potential backers... for example naming and showing the picture of a new NPC or detailing in general terms the feature of a quest...

STRETCH GOAL --- HAUNTED MANOR MYSTARY! At this tier we will build a significant standalone adventure where your character has to explore a mysterious haunted mansion and solve a murder. Puzzles, suspects, loads of dialogue and role-play, will you find the murderer and free the tormented souls of the slain, or make an unholy pact with the culprit? Features Azakiz, a tough dwarven gumshoe. This new investigator / rogue NPC is Project Eternity's version of Sam Spade! This adventure will add 6-8 hours of gameplay with a dungeon, quests, loot and an inn.

OK, you might not like the quest, but descritive details might make the potential backer sit up and listen.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I don't see what the non-interest in localization has to do with reaching or not the $2.0M goal today. But since it's brought up....

Personally, I think the house thing as a stretch goal is stupid. All we need is a place to stash stuff and crafting/alchemy tables. Spending a big amount of resources on a house is a waste IMO.

It's not a waste if they do it well! From the official description:

‘Player House at $2.0M adds quests, NPCs, a companion hang out, more dialog, and a new store with new unique weapons, clothing, and armor.’

That’s a lot more than a glorified place to stash loot!

Chronicler of the Obsidian Order; for the pen is mightier than the sword!

It's not a waste if they do it well! From the official description:

‘Player House at $2.0M adds quests, NPCs, a companion hang out, more dialog, and a new store with new unique weapons, clothing, and armor.’

That’s a lot more than a glorified place to stash loot!

Quests, dialog and items are good(and they don't need a house). The rest; I still say meh.

I wouldn't have a problem, and probably welcome it, if the budget was higher. But right now I think it's just something that could be replaced by other things.

Edited by kenup

The details are too vague to be negative about it in my books. What we could have is a Crossroads Keep home, or a Warden's Keep type home, or a Hearthfire type home.

Obsidian have done a good job of player homes in the past, I am optimistic about this one.

Actually the pledges did pick up a little bit but I think more because of the novella. I saw a slight surge in upgrading pledges when that was released. As for localization the word has to get out to people who do not speak or read English. Some European advertising needs to be done. It will help future sales and the more translations the better.

We will reach the 2 mil mark in a couple of hours. Then we head for the 2.2 goal. What they can come up with for a 2.4 stretch goal will be interesting. What might draw people in?

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

hehe... the final amount when the time comes to close the kickstarter page will be 1999999

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Actually the pledges did pick up a little bit but I think more because of the novella. I saw a slight surge in upgrading pledges when that was released. As for localization the word has to get out to people who do not speak or read English. Some European advertising needs to be done. It will help future sales and the more translations the better.

We will reach the 2 mil mark in a couple of hours. Then we head for the 2.2 goal. What they can come up with for a 2.4 stretch goal will be interesting. What might draw people in?

The day after the announcement of the "additional languages" stretch goal has been the slowest pledge day since the start of the PE kickstarter. Additional language support is important for the success of the finished product, but it does diddely squat for the funding part of the project. To potential backers who only back the game and won't participate in the actually earnings of the finished product, additional languages are pretty much wasted resources.

Edited by BSoda

The day after the announcement of the "additional languages" stretch goal has been the slowest pledge day since the start of the PE kickstarter. Additional language support is important for the success of the finished product, but it does diddely squat for the funding part of the project. To potential backers who only back the game and won't participate in the actually earnings of the finished product, additional languages are pretty much wasted resources.

You have to remember that 2.2 million allows a whole new area to explore and additional factions, these contributes a lot to the game. The language translation is just a small part to fill in a void left by Linux porting, which again is something that not everyone could benefit from. So basically nothing has change.

2.2 million is about new area and new faction. Its not about language, its about extra content for the game. Why can't people see this. :( Stop saying 2.2 million is for language support, its not. Put that aside for goodness' sake.

Edited by Hornet85
  • Like 3

A player house does trigger the imagination a bit more. :yes:

Anything, really. As it stands, additional languages are pretty much a non-rewarding stretch goal.

Yeah, as if the Linux version (which the translations replaced) generated the crowd's enthusiasm...

Why are people so focused on this localization thing (which is nothing more than a sound business decision), while the core of the 2.2M stretch goal is about expanding the world and adding a WHOLE NEW REGION ?

The 2.2M goal is the best stretch goal issued so far in terms of addition to the story. the translations are just a side effect.

• Like 1

You have to remember that 2.2 million allows a whole new area to explore and additional factions, these contributes a lot to the game. The language translation is just a small part to fill in a void left by Linux porting, which again is something that not everyone could benefit from. So basically nothing has change.

2.2 million is about new area and new faction. Its not about language, its about extra content for the game. Why can't people see this. :( Stop saying 2.2 million is for language support, its not. Put that aside for goodness' sake.

Sure, but additional languages were the last "new thing" announced as stretch goal. The new area/faction part already contributed to the total pledge amount beforehand...and as it so happens additional languages did pretty much nada for the pledges.

It's just not a very exciting thing to announce. The linux stretch goal had the same problem.

Yeah, as if the Linux version (which the translations replaced) generated the crowd's enthusiasm...

You'd be surprised :)

However I admit, localization is not the best stretch goal ever. However I think it should be there somewhere.

Only 5k to go :)

Red Mage of the Obsidian Order

www.cherrytreestudio.eu

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

Red Mage, Episode 835: Refining Moment

STRETCH GOAL --- HAUNTED MANOR MYSTARY! At this tier we will build a significant standalone adventure where your character has to explore a mysterious haunted mansion and solve a murder. Puzzles, suspects, loads of dialogue and role-play, will you find the murderer and free the tormented souls of the slain, or make an unholy pact with the culprit? Features Azakiz, a tough dwarven gumshoe. This new investigator / rogue NPC is Project Eternity's version of Sam Spade! This adventure will add 6-8 hours of gameplay with a dungeon, quests, loot and an inn.

OK, you might not like the quest, but descritive details might make the potential backer sit up and listen.

Actually I hope the final game will include some kind of murder mystery you have to solve.

• Like 1

Actually I hope the final game will include some kind of murder mystery you have to solve.

I kind of do too. Oblivion sort of had a murder mystery, except you were the murderer, and I loved how well executed that was. If they took it and maybe made it more serious, a genuine whodunnit, I would enjoy it a lot. Although I do feel like a lot of games have the rather tired subplot of murders occurring across a city. I don't find that as compelling as an isolated setting murder mystery.

I am going to be blunt. I find this fixation on the announcement of translations depressing and selfish. Oh, that doesn't give me anything so I don't think it is needed. If this game is successful it will mean more games like it. To make those games Obsidian will need money. Are you going to help fund every game they make? Why shoudn't Obsidian make a profit off this game? Publishers have been making profits for years now. Why shouldn't the developers of the game start getting that profit. I have pledged more to back this project than I would normally pay for a game. I pledged that extra money because I want this to be a success. I want to be able to get decent games not only now but in the future. Maybe even some of the players that think that the watered down, buggy games of the current time are all there are will realize that isn't true.

I can't save the world in real life but even if my contribution is small if it helps even one person that is all I ask. I am not pledging because I want a tee shirt or a forum badge but because I want games to be worth playing and paying for. Well I do want that Novella. :)

Hokay, Nakia is getting annoyed. :banghead:

Thank heavens, while I was composing my rant someone came up with a really good idea. Haunted house, mystery that is just my cup of tea. :D

Edited by Nakia
  • Like 3

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

I am going to be blunt. I find this fixation on the announcement of translations depressing and selfish. Oh, that doesn't give me anything so I don't think it is needed. If this game is successful it will mean more games like it. To make those games Obsidian will need money. Are you going to help fund every game they make? Why shoudn't Obsidian make a profit off this game? Publishers have been making profits for years now. Why shouldn't the developers of the game start getting that profit. I have pledged more to back this project than I would normally pay for a game. I pledged that extra money because I want this to be a success. I want to be able to get decent games not only now but in the future. Maybe even some of the players that think that the watered down, buggy games of the current time are all there are will realize that isn't true.

I can't save the world in real life but even if my contribution is small if it helps even one person that is all I ask. I am not pledging because I want a tee shirt or a forum badge but because I want games to be worth playing and paying for. Well I do want that Novella. :)

Thank heavens, while I was composing my rant someone came up with a really good idea. Haunted house, mystery that is just my cup of tea. :D

...uhh...of course it's selfish. After all Obsidian won't pay me out a share of the profit from the finished product, so why should I care for any stretch goal that solely is good for maximizing their bottom line ? I want Obsidian to make a (hefty) profit, of course -but that doesn't translate to the kickstarter -like at all.

...uhh...of course it's selfish. After all Obsidian won't pay me out a share of the profit from the finished product, so why should I care for any stretch goal that solely is good for maximizing their bottom line ? I want Obsidian to make a (hefty) profit, of course -but that doesn't translate to the kickstarter -like at all.

Well PE being profitable would result in Obsidian having a new franchise they can leverage on to develop new games that we will be happy to buy and play. All the better for everybody !

Edited by Loki Ador
  • Like 1