Romance in Project Eternity: How Important, How Much

Romance in Project Eternity  

365 members have voted

1. 1. What is your feeling on romance in cRPGs?

• I never enjoy romance in my games - it often makes me enjoy them less.
    • I don't enjoy romance in my games, but it doesn't affect my enjoyment overall.
    • Most of the time I don't enjoy romance in my games, with a few exceptions.
    • Sometimes I enjoy romance in my games, sometimes I don't.
    • Most of the time I enjoy romance in my games, with a few exceptions.
    • I always enjoy romance in my games, but I don't need them for me to enjoy the game overall.
    • I love romance in my games - without romance I usually don't enjoy games.
    • I am indifferent to romance in my games; don't care either way.
  2. 2. How well do you feel romance has been used in cRPGs in the past?

• It has always been bad. Sometimes really awful.
    • It is usually not very good, with very rare exceptions.
    • It has been more bad than good, but sometimes it was alright.
    • Sometimes it had been bad, sometimes it has been good.
    • It has been more good than bad, but sometimes it was cringe-worthy.
    • It is usually pretty good, with some notable exceptons.
    • It has always been good. Sometimes exceptionally great.
    • I have no opinion on how it's been done before.
  3. 3. Do you want Project Eternity to include any romance in the game?

• Absolutely not. I really do not want any romance in the game - I personally dislike the addition, period.
    • I would strongly prefer not. I don't think it can add anything, and I worry that the game overall will suffer if it is done poorly.
    • I'd rather it isn't part of the game, but if Obsidian decides to add it I'll adjust.
    • Up to Obsidian entirely... I'll accept their decision either way equally.
    • I'd rather it is part of the game, but if Obsidian decides to not include it I'll adapt.
    • I would strongly prefer it. I think it can add a lot, and I feel the overall game may be less compelling if it is not included.
    • Absolutely. I really want romance in the game - I personally want it, period.
    • I hold no preference.

Out of curiosity, if we had a single romance integrated into the story, how would people feel about that?

Assuming a non-BioWarean player centric ego stroking romantic wish fulfillment fantasy approach, what if there is only one romantic character that is only available for straight female PCs as the character were to be a male NPC. The romance would also be apart of the central narrative arc and is an issue that can't be avoided or skipped. You can avoid the romance in the end, but it's an issue that constantly rears it's head and you can't avoid confronting it.

How would people feel about that?

I'd be fine with it.

I've played games where I was forced to work with a terrorist organization, forced to have to choose between letting one or hundreds die, forced to leave the vault that I had saved only to wander the wilderness no matter how much good I did for them, forced to have to listen to the elven emo whining of David Warner pining endlessly for his lost pointy ears...

If you want good story, and you choose to play a game... some things WILL be forced on you. Gonna happen. Romance doens't bother me anymore than being stuck as a Jedi (far less, actually - I really dislike Star Wars and especially Jedi.)

• Like 2

Obsidian's writing is light years ahead of Bioware's. Compare Kotor 1 and 2. I don't doubt that the COULD write a decent romantic subplot, but I can almost guarantee they will not. Good riddance too.

Wow, did my previous post get deleted?

Edited by Spess Merhenn

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.

It's the enforced nicety, don't mind it. Don't be too certain of them never doing a romance though, even if they don't extort them with a stretch goal, I have a feeling they'll put in two or so to satisfy these people.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Way to amp up the general creepiness level of this thread, ****.

Please tell me you are being facetious. :blink:

That is disturbing to say the least.

Dude...

I had some thoughts I considered getting feedback on in the thread, but after this whole creepy mess in the last two pages I think I'll save them for another day.

I'm gonna go somewhere else now.

Well, at least you managed to clear out the thread. Seriously, can you see China yet, or are you still burrowing your way towards earth's core?

Oh good, now a discussion thread has devolved into "lets use game mechanics to rape the other characters."

That's it, I'm out. At this rate, I truly take back my original arguments: No romance options. Not worth it.

Okay, everyone, calm down.

He's not serious. :getlost:

To give him the benefit of the doubt, he's gently mocking everyone.

Just ignore it.

If it really bothers you, you aren't bad to /ignore someone who posts like that.

Eventually the mods will catch up with those who post about raping dragons. :facepalm:

I would definitely prefer interspecies romances. Think King Kong or the lovely Jenny Agutter and her werewolf lover in

. I am picturing a romance between a little elven hottie and an ancient red dragon. Aerie and Firkraag meet and fall in love.
  • Like 3

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

I would definitely prefer interspecies romances. Think King Kong or the lovely Jenny Agutter and her werewolf lover in

. I am picturing a romance between a little elven hottie and an ancient red dragon. Aerie and Firkraag meet and fall in love.

You clearlly must have, at the very least, a visual of China at this point in your journey to earth's core, no?

Y'know....keep at it. I encourage you to elaborate on your thoughts in these kinds of threads.

• Like 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

If there is a surrender mechanism for beaten foes they could also be used in this manner. A sort of one sided unsentimental romance. A slavery system could be combined with running a prostitution ring. Forced prostitution could be a way to raise money. Perhaps you could eventually open a brothel with the prisoner-prostitutes kept in cages and chained spread-eagled to their bed posts to provide customers with 24 hour service. Not just women, but men could also be used in this way. Even children if they are present in the game. I'm picturing giant bird cages for some reason. Eventually you could open such brothels in every major city accumulating great wealth. Your party members would be acutely aware that they could also end up like that if they cross you or annoy you in any way.

If you've seen the film deadgirl you'll have a good idea of the sort of thing I'm talking about. (Excellent film BTW).

I think there might be similar romances as Skyrim Mods somewhere, all this game needs is modding tools.

Thanks for the movie suggestion, though.

Thread locked.

We feel that, at this point, all that can be discussed about romance in Project Eternity, has been discussed. Right now, the thread as devolved into mostly trolling and flame baiting with a lot retreading of previous discussion points. As such, we have decided to put a moratorium on new Romance threads, until some time has passed. We hope that this decision helps respect among posters and fosters discussion other subjects.

So, from now on all new romance threads will be locked an referred to the previous threads on the subject.

• Like 27

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: