Existence does not require a purpose.

Prosper

It seems these days the favorite all time concern people have with the big bang: is what caused it? However that is not the question they intend for us to answer. They actually have tasked themselves and others to figure out "why does existence exist at all"?. As physics goes, the big bang and discoveries of pre-big bang events, parallel universes are all irrelevant.

Allow me to un**** your reality. If purpose must exist before existence, then the existence of purpose is a contradiction to the stated terms. When you force yourselves or others into thinking existence itself requires a purpose: then an infinite regress regarding explanation of explanation occurs. Stop it.

I hope you feel better.

• Like 1

redacted

I haven't felt I had a purpose in life for the last 30 years. Now I settle for indulging my whims and try to enjoy it :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I haven't felt I had a purpose in life for the last 30 years. Now I settle for indulging my whims and try to enjoy it :)

Pretty much this.

Also...omg cute cat overload! :wub: :wub:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

What is the purpose of this thread? Why does it exist?

When you force yourselves or others to believe that this thread has a purpose an infinite regress of posts occurs. Stop it

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

But what if existence incorporates every conceivable purpose? Is there any difference between that and existence serving no purpose? Wouldn't anything you do then serve its purpose?

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

"Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration – that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather!"

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

It's neat because with the way humanity is, whether you believe we were created or evolved or just happened, we can do what we want. We can believe what we want, live where we desire, and think how we want. Sadly, a lot of people get that wrong and just assume that their way and opinion is the only truth. Sad....

How do we even know that the entire concept of "metaphysical" purpose is not just a creation of language and imagination? I would start any discussion about it with defining exactly what it means. I'm sure you will find out that is an eye- opener...

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

In the immortal words of W.C Fields.. “Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.”

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

When you force yourselves or others to believe that this thread has a purpose an infinite regress of posts occurs. Stop it

Purpose, Mr. Anderson! It is purpose that created us, it is purpose that connects us, purpose that pulls us, that guides us, drives us, binds us. It is purpose that defines us. Purpose!!!

It seems these days the favorite all time concern people have with the big bang: is what caused it? However that is not the question they intend for us to answer. They actually have tasked themselves and others to figure out "why does existence exist at all"?. As physics goes, the big bang and discoveries of pre-big bang events, parallel universes are all irrelevant.

Allow me to un**** your reality. If purpose must exist before existence, then the existence of purpose is a contradiction to the stated terms. When you force yourselves or others into thinking existence itself requires a purpose: then an infinite regress regarding explanation of explanation occurs. Stop it.

I hope you feel better.

Your post made me laugh with its cyclic connotations :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Purpose, Mr. Anderson! It is purpose that created us, it is purpose that connects us, purpose that pulls us, that guides us, drives us, binds us. It is purpose that defines us. Purpose!!!

You couldn't resist, could you?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

You couldn't resist, could you?

Nope XD It was too hard to resist!