Factions with standalone storylines - 'gameworld spice'

I know this is going to sound really Elder Scrolls-y.. but I'm envisioning something way better than what they tend to have. At least nowadays.

I want to be able to join factions that are a plausible part of the game world, with their own story lines and progression that have no connection to the main quest. Mercenary companies, assassins, merchants' guilds, religious sects. The works. Since you guys are not restricted by the need for voice work, these factions could actually be as in-depth as we all hope for when we join these factions in other games and are inevitably let down.

Often, games will have badass factions that you can't join because you're being railroaded through the story, or because of development resources.

I just had a wave of awesome wash over me as I imagined Project Eternity being the exception to that, which is why I had to make this post now. :D

• Like 1

Meh, when RPGs talk about factions, sometimes they mean "factions you can join" and sometimes they mean "factions you can run errands for". The latter is always underwhelming. I'd like to at least commit to one of the major world factions as an actual card-carrying member and have this change how I progress through the main plot, not just arbitrarily get reputation points for doing chores.

I don't like the Elder Scrolls staple of rushing you to the leadership of your organization when you are done with the quests, though. No one should become go from recruit to guildmaster/archmage/grand poobah in a mere matter of months.

• Like 2

Meh, when RPGs talk about factions, sometimes they mean "factions you can join" and sometimes they mean "factions you can run errands for". The latter is always underwhelming. I'd like to at least commit to one of the major world factions as an actual card-carrying member and have this change how I progress through the main plot, not just arbitrarily get reputation points for doing chores.

I don't like the Elder Scrolls staple of rushing you to the leadership of your organization when you are done with the quests, though. No one should become go from recruit to guildmaster/archmage/grand poobah in a mere matter of months.

Agreed on the last point.

I don't want it to be a part of the main plot because this is one of those things where you.. you know when you play a game for the umpteenth time and you decide to ignore the storyline completely? You know those few games that actually let you do that and live another life, actually play a character? I love that! That's what I'm trying to say I want.

I'm not sure why this would be considered a Bethesda thing. Maybe because they don't have a main storyline? At least not one that anyone cares about. So all you are left with is joining factions. Many cRPGs allow you to join factions and do quests for them. I agree that ideally this would be tied into the main story like in BG2 when you had to decide between joining the thieves guild or the vamps. I don't see any harm in independent storylines (aka quests) for a thieves guild or whatever as well. As long as the mini-stories are well written and designed. FedEx quests are a waste of everybody's time. Tasks that are considered work in the real world, such as delivering a package, are not fun in a game. Ever.

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

I agree that the factions should make an impact in the fantasy world in some way and if possible certain actions you take influence how your character is viewed and the faction across the land. It would be neat to seem some kind of non tradition faction. A religiious early technology faction with concepts like gravity and such. PE is starting to feel a little like Arcanum but with it's own twist in the older fantasy framework. I loved Arcanum's twist of technology in a fantasy setting. The whole style and work of the characters/factions was remarkable.

Edited by Technatorium

The game should have some major factions (i.e. Harpers, Cult of the Dragon, Red Wizards, Zentharim to name a few Forgotten Realms factions), mostly generic (i.e. opened to all classes/races but of course not all alignments) with their own goals and joining one exclude the others. Then should be minor factions (thieves guilds, mercenary companies, etc.) preferably more than one of a given type (i.e. not only one thieves guild in the whole world like in Bethesda games) and specific to one or more classes/races/alignments to join.

A great idea (the only one present in Dragon Age 2) could be that companions already joined or can join factions, so we can "work" for those indirectly (think about Aveline in DA2 that became captain of the city watch). Companions could also make a career in the given faction as they grow in power and influence, just like the main character.

Edited by max8472

"I feel stronger"

FedEx quests are fine if they incorporate puzzles/mazes/combat into them. Extreme mail delivery!

Grandiose statements, cryptic warnings, blind fanboyisim and an opinion that leaves no room for argument and will never be dissuaded. Welcome to the forums, you'll go far in this place my boy, you'll go far!

The people who are a part of the "Fallout Community" have been refined and distilled over time into glittering gems of hatred.