If they decide to implement finishing moves to the game, they must first make sure there are lots of them. If we see the same moves again and again, we're bound to get bored at some point (Skyrim, *ahem*). So this feature should include at least 7 or 8 different moves for each type of weapon (crushing, piercing, etc.). I know this might be tiresome and possibly expensive, but why bother with finishing moves if they're only going to annoy you after 8 hours of gameplay?

• Like 1

What if instead of finishing moves your party did a celebratory dance after each successful encounter?

Oh, somebody else played Forbidden Forest?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

It doesn't necessarily have to be Capcom's latest Devil May Cry Ultra-Demon Transform Double Morph attack Space Kame-ball HAME Nova HA! Finisher.

My idea is a bit bigger <.<

So two Pit Fighters, shield and sword, shield and sword, against each other. Top down you can see them panting, in an isometric view, hunched in front of their shields. Peeking with their eyes, hidden underneath their rusty gladiator helmets. One of them launches forward, but the other one blocks, a warriors scream as he thrusts his sword forward. Miss, the gladiator foe, the enemy, the rival and nemesis tumbled to safety now with a sword held high coming down. The end.

In Baldur's Gate the vision is shorter, simplified and static: "Well Hello there friend *chunk* how are you today? *chunk*" the other Gladiator *chunk* looks at you with a smile *chunk* "It is just fine *CHUNK* Oh you got me good there lad" explodes into pieces of meat *chunk*

Not just finishers, but the entire flowing animations of the ENTIRE battle "needs" to be overhauled in such a case.

You can't have *chunk chunk chunk* followed by *GLORIOUS ATTACK OF WONDER!* (you can of course, but will it work?). It needs to be 300, when King Leonid runs in slow motion with the spear in side scrolling view, except without the slow motion. Otherwise it won't be acceptable, otherwise *chunk chunk chunk* is just fine as is.

Don't think it really fits this sort of game...

Something like the Baldurs Gate gibs is more than enough.

I am proposing exactly that. But with a more *umpf* than just simply *chunk chunk* that we Baldur's Gaters are familiar with. I agree that it is more than enough... 10 years ago. Heck even today too it is more than enough. It is still more than enough... for us conservative progress-halters. Today the technology exists to make the Baldur's Gate combat animations exactly the same mechanically but what we see is something different.

So instead of, as I said earlier, the static animations a la *chunk chunk* beating it off on each other you could now today make the same exact system but with more vivid, clarified flowing animations.

Instead of having two guys go at it on each other with their manly arms holding sword and shield, they could block, parry, clash. Mechanically it would be the same thing, visually something different, new, progressing.

just use combat taunts like in fallout/wasteland. they're much better than "finishing moves". way way cheaper. too!

"if everyone is dead then why don't i remember dying?"

—a clueless sod to a dustman

"if we're all alive then why don't i remember being born?"

—the dustman's response

I am proposing exactly that. But with a more *umpf* than just simply *chunk chunk* that we Baldur's Gaters are familiar with. I agree that it is more than enough... 10 years ago. Heck even today too it is more than enough. It is still more than enough... for us conservative progress-halters. Today the technology exists to make the Baldur's Gate combat animations exactly the same mechanically but what we see is something different.

So instead of, as I said earlier, the static animations a la *chunk chunk* beating it off on each other you could now today make the same exact system but with more vivid, clarified flowing animations.

Instead of having two guys go at it on each other with their manly arms holding sword and shield, they could block, parry, clash. Mechanically it would be the same thing, visually something different, new, progressing.

you are describing a dream where combat is more than taking turns hitting each other in the face with a sword. What is this nonsense?

No really, that sounds awesome. But for a low budget game I could see that likely being more costly and/or time consuming than its worth.

• Like 1

[...]or a magic projectile with a little more impact to throw the enemy a few squares, something "realistic and natural"[...]

don't want to be mean, but whatever projectile that you throw at someone and throws him/her/it a few squares away should also, realistic and natural, throw you away too in pretty much the same manner (unless it's somekind of a grenade or something explosive like that). just saying... :biggrin:

Edited by cealicu_ca

"Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain."

- Isaak Yudovich Ozimov

you are describing a dream where combat is more than taking turns hitting each other in the face with a sword. What is this nonsense?

No really, that sounds awesome. But for a low budget game I could see that likely being more costly and/or time consuming than its worth.

Yes, I am aware of the budget and time limitations. Although as this is a speculation and discussion forum I do wish to flirt with this idea generally. I am sure there are many developers in these forums (Not only Obsidian), observing the progress and what the "people want" in RP games. I wish to put emphasize on this dream, because it is doable, revolutionary and profitable.

I hope there will be animation modding possibilities, for in that case one could possibly modify the animations to something more akin to what I am suggesting.

Also, it wouldn't be more than taking turns. It would simply look like it; more.

Example:

Turn 1: I roll my dice as I try to take a hit at you, but you roll your dice and you block it.

Turn 2: Then you roll your dice as you try to chop at me, but I roll my dice and parry it.

Turn 3: My turn! I hack, but you valiantly dodge it.

Turn 4: Your turn! You slash, and we clash.

Turn 5: Finish Him! ~Friendship!

Turn 6: Make it happen please :D <3 *rolls dice impatiently for the result*

Yes, I am aware of the budget and time limitations. Although as this is a speculation and discussion forum I do wish to flirt with this idea generally. I am sure there are many developers in these forums (Not only Obsidian), observing the progress and what the "people want" in RP games. I wish to put emphasize on this dream, because it is doable, revolutionary and profitable.

I hope there will be animation modding possibilities, for in that case one could possibly modify the animations to something more akin to what I am suggesting.

Also, it wouldn't be more than taking turns. It would simply look like it; more.

Example:

Turn 1: I roll my dice as I try to take a hit at you, but you roll your dice and you block it.

Turn 2: Then you roll your dice as you try to chop at me, but I roll my dice and parry it.

Turn 3: My turn! I hack, but you valiantly dodge it.

Turn 4: Your turn! You slash, and we clash.

Turn 5: Finish Him! ~Friendship!

Turn 6: Make it happen please :D <3 *rolls dice impatiently for the result*

I would love it too. I just doubt this will be the game where we see it. It would definitely make combat for interesting to watch.

• Like 1

I've got a hard time calling showy gimmicks "progressive" or "revolutionary" (I'll stop at "improvement" in the best case), but as long as it doesn't represent any hindrance to the gameplay and keep it sufficiently sober and well done, if they have some extra cash to throw at it, why not.

Totally, revolutionary is a bit far-stretched. I like "improvement" better anyways :) I do not mean anything flashy or too showy. Authentic to body build and physique, physical statistics. So no magical whirlwind spam attacks or super fast attack speed. Just eye candy really and I could do without as well as with.

Another example: Like watching two fierce Gladiators fight and struggle against each other, instead of the *chunk chunk* static animation.

I would love it too. I just doubt this will be the game where we see it. It would definitely make combat for interesting to watch.

Well, who knows :D I'm sure that the modelers are eager to tackle this project, and I'm sure they will give us something great. I think that graphical technology, programming, has improved a lot too since Baldur's Gate ;)

Edited by Osvir

• 3 months later...

When you kill someone - Its a finishing move - You are after all finishing them off. Maybe if time slowed slightly for every kill that was because of a certain type.

Crit / Instadeath etc..

You don't need new fancy animations, the same animations would work, just slow time a little to show that you are landing a kill? Or apply it to the last standing enemy - as always you can turn it off in options.

Juneau & Alphecca Daley currently tearing up Tyria.

When you kill someone - Its a finishing move - You are after all finishing them off. Maybe if time slowed slightly for every kill that was because of a certain type.

Crit / Instadeath etc..

You don't need new fancy animations, the same animations would work, just slow time a little to show that you are landing a kill? Or apply it to the last standing enemy - as always you can turn it off in options.

Shush, you know what video game players are really talking about when saying "finishing move." :p

Slowing down breaks combat flow in the sense that it completely removes the screen action from the player's control (compared to pause); the same feeling applies to the crit-screen-shake. I hated the "let's make the little console boy player feel better about himself!" slow-mo crap in DA:O and in other places. Just get into combat and get on with it, get it done. Excepting the minimalist things that don't break combat flow like BG's giblets, any other additional animations through the regular game areas should be optional, but otherwise I think it's a waste of time for Obsidian to work on that. The only class of enemy that can be separated from the general treatment would be boss fights--finishing moves, even full cinematics, those are fine because they're rare and special. Obsidian should invest their resources making those fights stand out.

But for those players who want this sort of thing, consider how big the game is going to be in terms of size and thus hours; this isn't going to be a short linear action CRPG like DA:O or any of your typical console games. And then how many days and weeks later you get tired of it and will turn it off anyway, so what's the point? Unless you only play an hour every weekend, I suppose. But a slow-mo finishing move every 10 feet into the mega-dungeon would piss me off so much... :getlost:

• Like 1

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

The first or two Ogres were epic, the 10th or so was filler. Something that was more designated for bosses became "Crap, this crap again" and when I faced Flemeth it was a little bit "Meh" on top of the "Cool". Abundance I guess. Specifically in the "Large Creature" take downs.

Edited by Osvir

I'm gonna help out the OP here, because he is getting KILLED by some posters here.

This is what he is suggesting about "finishing moves" (this phrase does not only refer to slow motion matrix style death animations):

• Occurs during combat
  • Lasts the same amount of time as a regular attack
  • Does not take control away from the player
  • Is basically a variation of a normal attack, but leads to an enemy's death (stabbing someone through with a sword, someone taking an arrow in the head/chest and falling over as a result of that, etc.)
  • Is NOT slow motion
  • Does not change camera
  • Does not pause the game

I think I covered everything. People should start reading everything before posting.

• Like 2

I'm gonna help out the OP here, because he is getting KILLED by some posters here.

This is what he is suggesting about "finishing moves" (this phrase does not only refer to slow motion matrix style death animations):

• Occurs during combat
  • Lasts the same amount of time as a regular attack
  • Does not take control away from the player
  • Is basically a variation of a normal attack, but leads to an enemy's death (stabbing someone through with a sword, someone taking an arrow in the head/chest and falling over as a result of that, etc.)
  • Is NOT slow motion
  • Does not change camera
  • Does not pause the game

I think I covered everything. People should start reading everything before posting.

Nice recap and I would like to see all this.

Even more actually, as I'd also like some stuff OP didn't, like decapitations and other dismemberings.

With the above list still in place of course.

Oooh! There could be a move with the bow that destroys the foe's knee, ending not their life, but their adventuring career. 8)

Joking aside, I think combat animation variety is always better than none. And kill variety as separate from just-plain-hit variety is even better. Obviously only to a certain point. More variety is better than none, but more isn't always better on top of more.

But, as far as anything that took longer than a regular attack for your character to fully execute, I'd only want to see something like that tied to criticals or some other such rare occasion. Say your regular hit does about 20 damage, and you crit an enemy with only about 50 health left, and your crit does 50+ damage (based on that whole "1.5x your max damage in your damage range" thing we learned). Since you're essentially killing the thing in one blow when it normally would've taken 3 more blows, I wouldn't mind the animation being a bit more elaborate and lasting slightly longer than a single attack animation. You still don't want it lasting 10 seconds, because that defeats the benefit gained by ending the foe's attack streak in fewer blows and being able to choose a new target already.

As with anything, if you can work it into the rest of the design elegantly, it's quite nice. Whereas, if you just say "I don't even care what else is affected or how we do this, I want fancy slo-mo finishers in, NO MATTER WHAT!", you're just asking for problems. Sure, by itself, the super awesome finisher animation will be ultra cool and entertaining to watch. But with the rest of combat and the gameplay environment it's all working within, you're going to have mathematical dilemmas, such as "That literally slowed down my character as compared to regular attacks, for the exact same damage! Less even, since my 20-damage blow took off his last 7 hit points!"

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

uh this one again...

I would LOVE to see finishing moves animation. Ocasionally see enemy burning nd twisting in pain or exploding, petrified, decapatated arms and limbs. Best to make these animations available in options to switch on and off. While it is sweet eye candy there be haters around..so havng options would suit evryones playstyle.

Edited by Tauron

magic021.jpg