I wouldn't mind, as long as it was quick. No close-ups, no slow-mos, and nothing as farfetched as Fallout.

I haven't read the entire thread yet, but as a thought experiment I thought it funny to try to visualise the Fallout deaths in a fantasy version. Nothing that slows down game play, but just the odd over the top death animation, like bisecting, decapacitating, tearing limbs of enemies, disembowling etc. It gets tiresome when overdone, but Jagged Alliance 2 did it nicely because it was so rare, that you went WTF? when a full auto salvo shot off an enemys head resulting in a geyser of blood from the neck.

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

When I think of a finishing move I think of either some long animation during which you are not controlling your character or one of those ridiculous pirouettes where they would have been impaled through the back when they were in the facing away part of their stupid gymnastics-while-fighting move. I guess I'd be okay with twirling around like a figure skater as long as the player character is killed Every. Single. Time he does it. I guess there could be some kind of communication problem here just because not everyone has played DA:O.

I just went on youtube and searched for dragon age finishing moves. I saw one with a dragon and one with an ogre. They seem to be lengthy custom animations. I didn't see any stupid pirouettes at least. In both cases the player character sort of jumps on the monster to stab it. The dragon through the head and the ogre sort of on his chest.

It isn't as bad as I thought, but it does mean a loss of control. Well at least I assume that the character didn't manually jump on top of the dragon's head. That was the first time I actually saw the Dragon model in DA:O. It actually looks pretty good although it moves too fast to really appreciate it. I like how big it is compared to the pc and how it can leap around to go for a ranged attack. it also reminds me how much of an action/arcade game it really is. I hope the Unity engine can deal with a large variety of creature sizes like that. BG2 had huge dragons. So hopefully it's not a problem.

Edited by metiman

JoshSawyer: Listening to feedback from the fans has helped us realize that people can be pretty polarized on what they want, even among a group of people ostensibly united by a love of the same games. For us, that means prioritizing options is important. If people don’t like a certain aspect of how skill checks are presented or how combat works, we should give them the ability to turn that off, resources permitting.

Having a finishing move, nice animation on a critical hit would be fun from time to time. Block, parry, dodge have those in too from time to time. As long they appear fluid and doesnt break gameplay, no cinematics etc. Having mage finishing moves would be very fun to watch enemies panick as engulfed in flames, electrecuted, desintegration, etc. I dont understand such hate for there animations as they are usually promoted as optional. Have in game option - video - turn off/on combat animations, blood-gore etc, evryone should be happy.

magic021.jpg

A little reward for landing that great hit is always nice. I'm not exactly a huge fan of violence, but critting in a tabletop game usually ends in stupid amounts of gore. I think even in a cRPG the crits need to be just a little bit special.

If Obsidian plan to go with over-the-top violence, then definitely, bring on the finishers and the Fallout-esque silly death animations. A game like this game shouldn't be too serious for it's own good after all.

Wow, there are so many different perspectives on this topic regarding Finishing Moves, I think after reading the majority of posts on here ,it seems that a few peoples want the cool looking death animations taken from DA:O and have them extrapolated and somehow placed into a 2D isometric game? Tough ask methinks, really depends on what you think you will be getting.

Tbh, looks like most peoples are happy with standard death animations from BG series (ie burnt to death, electrocuted, disentegrated, frozen, shattered, exploded etc) and a couple of peoples like the idea of Fallout series (1 & 2) death animations of which I also fall into this category, even though they are from a turn based game, I still think the concept is viable. Looks like most people just want something fancier or at least on par with BG death animations which I think we would have been getting in this game anyways!

But yes some cooler style death animations when overkill is applied sounds fantastic to me, it just makes combat that little bit more interesting and in the long run (when you have seen the same death animations over and over a la BG replays!

And I don't think this would be too hard to accomplish, but we shall see...

didn't read thread, but "finishing moves" sounds like an anime trope. am thinking we ain't the target demographic for such a "feature."

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

What a horrible, irrelevant idea. Particular death animations are good for spice and variety (I count Fallout ones as such), but how in the world would you see some finishing moves in an isometric tactical RPG? This is a typical kind of show-off feature in games that like to be effusive, which is nothing like what Project Eternity is supposed to be, and as far as I am concerned I have always felt that it's rather vulgar and disruptive to the gameplay.

So absolute no for me.

What a horrible, irrelevant idea. Particular death animations are good for spice and variety (I count Fallout ones as such), but how in the world would you see some finishing moves in an isometric tactical RPG? This is a typical kind of show-off feature in games that like to be effusive, which is nothing like what Project Eternity is supposed to be, and as far as I am concerned I have always felt that it's rather vulgar and disruptive to the gameplay.

So absolute no for me.

Read the topic first!

I will have to post on every page , cause u guys dont read! we are talking about death animations and a little 2 sec animation to finish blow

no finishin actions chain, no buttons sequences!! cmon are u guys that dumb? or just trolling?

Just a sword slash or a hammer blow to illustrate a killing blow , no lights/fire/slowmotion/shaking camera. just a brutal slash! take the same time as a regular attack, but differs because it was a kill.

No more suggestions , too much garbage in this topic , much trolling.

Everyone now is calling themselves a die hard rpg fan that knows everythin that is good for old school?

Dont even need to read the topic to know that im tryin to ruin "YOUR" game...

I will wait till the game is out , the developers knows best wht to do

Edited by Boretti

So absolute no for me.

Read the topic first!

I will have to post on every page , cause u guys dont read! we are talking about death animations and a little 2 sec animation to finish blow

no finishin actions chain, no buttons sequences!! cmon are u guys that dumb? or just trolling?

Where did he say anything about chains or button sequences?
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

So absolute no for me.

Read the topic first!

Where did he say anything about chains or button sequences?

Finishing moves in an isometric tactical RPG

he is thinking of slow motion , change camera or something like a button sequence.

he is thinking of slow motion , change camera or something like a button sequence.

I don't follow the logic. It is an isometric tactical RPG.

He seems more concerned with visibility. Baldur's Gate and other IE games were typically too far back for details such as that to be valuable. The most it got is people exploding into pieces.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

let me explain , he said like the finishers was something absurd for this kinda of game , impossible because it is isometric...

to be impossible it must be something that u cant do on this kinda of game.. that is? changin camera, focusin on a player to show the attack , or a chain of buttons or a shakin camera... u name it.

He even explains that somethin like fallout would be ok... suggestin wht?

Sounds good at firt, but finihsers quickly become repetitive and tedious. Maybe on some big monsters..maybe.

Problem is the finishers usually take time and are unskippable. So while youre character is twirling and dancing in coregaph death sequence, the rest of your party is getting pummled.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Don't care too much either way. I liked some of the shorter ones in Dragon Age, that didn't really take away control from your character, or at least not more than a second or whatever. But I *hated* the longer ones, like the one that triggered when killing Ogres. That left you with no control of your character for a long period of time which is a big no-no.

But yeah, not really worth the effort I'd say unless the animatiors are really bored I suppose.

Just no retarded Baldurs Gate gibbing either... that looked so goddamn stupid. If you're gonna do gore, then do animations like Fallout's.

But really, it is of very little consequence for me.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I think the resources can be spent better and I kinda doubt the game will end up having the kind of graphical fidelity that makes finishers worthwhile. In short: no. If they do end up doing something like this, though, then they'd better also add an option to turn it off. :p

I'm ok with the animations (there's a poll about this), and I'm ok with having the possibility to have the PCs saying some line when they kill the enemy, but I want to be able to turn them off if I find them annoying. When I played IWD I had very minimal speech activated for my characters.

Project Eternity: Interactive/animated or descriptive? Check my poll and vote!

Not really sure what "finishing moves" are. Fallout didn't have these really, it had critical hits. A finishing move sounds like something from a kids console game, mortal combat, or a japanese rpg.

To quote the movie, "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk". That is just kill the enemy and don't be flashy about it.

Read the topic first!

Just a sword slash or a hammer blow to illustrate a killing blow , no lights/fire/slowmotion/shaking camera. just a brutal slash! take the same time as a regular attack, but differs because it was a kill.

Everyone now is calling themselves a die hard rpg fan that knows everythin that is good for old school?

Sorry that not everybody agrees with you, but please, whine and blame us, we're here to listen... Needless to say that taking a simple opinion for a manifestation of holy entitlement is only indicative of your own state of mind, not my personal claims.

Oh, I see you are clairvoyant also. I don't especially meant any of that, actually. Before calling others whatever you like, try not to make those mistakes yourself.

let me explain , he said like the finishers was something absurd for this kinda of game , impossible because it is isometric...

to be impossible it must be something that u cant do on this kinda of game.. that is? changin camera, focusin on a player to show the attack , or a chain of buttons or a shakin camera... u name it.

I have never said something about the fact that it would be "impossible because it is isometric", so the rest of your reasoning is irrelevant.

I admit not having the time to read the whole topic, but I read your first post at least, and what it says along with the title is that you would see your character operate a special move to kill the enemy when having a critical hit or something. Even if it is real-time, with no QTE, camera move nor any other special effect, it is to me rather disruptive to the gameplay if it means triggering a predefined motion you must wait for it to finish. Even two seconds, in the midst of the action, is not pleasant to me, because I don't want the game to take control over me at any point in action. And as I said, often it just adds nothing in style, but rather looks silly in my opinion.

The death animations in Fallout and other games are nice, and something similar would probably fit here if it is just that, animations (I didn't mean how it was happening in Fallout, since it is turn-based, my focus was strictly on animations), not a "move".

Now if I have slightly misunderstood your point, you'll have to explain it better, and if you have already done that along those pages, please show me. But you can't blame me for assuming that you're still consistent with your first post (as you could always edit it to clarify if it was necessary, and if you're not too lazy to do so :rolleyes: ).

Edited by ButchinMelancholy

I like the idea of 20-minutes long cutscenes portaying your character killing his enemy in very perverse and sadistic way. But I don't think that Eternity is about watching cutscenes, so it is a bad idea. I'll accept even one death animation.

Edited by Capitalism

Capitalism loves you, even if post above is full of hatred.

Read the topic first!

Sorry that not everybody agrees with you, but please, whine and blame us, we're here to listen... Needless to say that taking a simple opinion for a manifestation of holy entitlement is only indicative of your own state of mind, not my personal claims.

Oh, I see you are clairvoyant also. I don't especially meant any of that, actually. Before calling others whatever you like, try not to make those mistakes yourself.

I have never said something about the fact that it would be "impossible because it is isometric", so the rest of your reasoning is irrelevant.

I admit not having the time to read the whole topic, but I read your first post at least, and what it says along with the title is that you would see your character operate a special move to kill the enemy when having a critical hit or something. Even if it is real-time, with no QTE, camera move nor any other special effect, it is to me rather disruptive to the gameplay if it means triggering a predefined motion you must wait for it to finish. Even two seconds, in the midst of the action, is not pleasant to me, because I don't want the game to take control over me at any point in action. And as I said, often it just adds nothing in style, but rather looks silly in my opinion.

The death animations in Fallout and other games are nice, and would fit here if it is just that, animations (I didn't mean how it was implemented in Fallout, since it is turn-based), not a "move".

Now if I have slightly misunderstood your point, you'll have to explain it better, and if you have already done that along those pages, please show me. But you can't blame me for assuming that you're still consistent with your first post (as you could always edit it to clarify if it was necessary, and if you're not too lazy to do so :rolleyes: ).

sorry too lazy to read your reply