Hello everyone! my first post here.

Im pretty excited for Porject Eternity as it is expected of any RPG fan!

I know the game is yet on its firsts steps of development and its too early to talk about this.

Buut if you dont mind a suggestion, what about finishing moves?

Let me explain,nothing too fancy,no decapitations or multilations, but effecting, a different animation than your basic attacks.

Something like dragon age finishers... it helps immersion and give characteristic to your PC/NPC.

A litte example:

You are fighting a powerful Wizard, he is givin you a hard time and testing your party tactics, you are getting annoyed by the paralyzes/curses/diseases cast by him...

His magic shield is down and your fighter gives the final blow, a fierce slash that rips trough the wizards chest diagonally from shoulder to hip. Not only you feel like you accomplished but because of the epic death you scream "Take that sucker!" and feel more badass. (it can be a arrow to the Head, or a magic projectile with a little more impact to throw the enemy a few squares, something "realistic and natural")

Its a little extra to gameplay , that for me it makes great difference, adds a little spice into rpgs battle, that tend to be static.

Post your thoughts on this.

And Thank you Obsidian for bringing back a real Role Playing Game.

Edited by Boretti
  • Like 1

I wouldn't mind, as long as it was quick. No close-ups, no slow-mos, and nothing as farfetched as Fallout.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind, as long as it was quick. No close-ups, no slow-mos, and nothing as farfetched as Fallout.

Indeed. It would be enough to have a chance for a slightly more exaggerated/violent version of the attack animation when it's a finishing blow.

Edited by JediMB

Something stirs within...

Noo it happens in the middle of the battle, you can miss it if you are not looking.

You have to score a critical while the enemy has 20-10% hp , that will trigger a finishing animation.

something like that , like i said a little extra, not another feature.

But after that, there'd be not much to it, I'd imagine. Would be nice to see death animations based on the context of the attack though - so turn to ash, freeze and shatter, gibbed, etc.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Probably thinking Dragon Age kill blows, which was pretty much running a sword through a chest, or slicing a neck, or a shield bash of some sort. Longer ones were for bosses at the end of the fight.

Wouldn't be too bad. Sounds like the added details of yesteryear. Like, a fire spell igniting a target when it dies, or a lightning spell eletrocution.

Edited by SirthOsiris
  • Like 1

I love finishers. I don't like long winded finishers, but quick ones that make the animation smooth and fluid. Really adds to it over /gonna whack you in the face over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over, still alive? over and over and over.

EDIT: I'm sure many people hate on DA, but I think they did Finishers fairly well. They were quick, not over the top, cept for bosses (Which adds awesome imo).

Edited by Klaleara

I wouldn't mind boss fights ending with a flashy death, for example like in

(though it might fit better in the full turn based). Skip to 3:16 if in a hurry.

Edit: Though it would be nice to see the death animation depend on the weapon/spell used. And when it comes to the usual enemies, well, BG style chunks are all fine and dandy IMO, as it'd become tiresome so see some measly gibberling constantly die in a "cool" fashion.

Edited by OldRPG'sAreGood

Dude, I can see my own soul.....

Don't think this is necessary. Very low priority in my book. BG-style gibs are more than enough. I think those things just don't work as well in an isometric game, Fallout aside as it had a totally different stance on violence (and it fit the setting).

• Like 2

Do we need it in an isometric game?

I thing voiced lines are better suite to emphasize the epicness of a fight. "AIN'T I AWESOME" for every critical hit and stuff.

Hell no! its annoying.. i rather see how awesome my Character is than hear he braggin.

Oh HELL no.

The slow-mo break-combat-flow idiocy in Dragon Age pissed me off to no end, catering to the adolescent consolers. >:p

And this is NOT a 3D zoom-in game with cinematics. NO. NONONO.

On the other hand, hearing an emphatic yell from my companions (I think Minsc's was "HA-HA!!") during combat for a critical hit was great. More of that, please.

• Like 4

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Not keen on finishing moves. If the corpse ends up in a certain way due to what killed them, like as a frozen shattered statue if killed by an ice missile or a gash from the swordblow that finished them off I'd be happy with, but no pre-rendered 'cool' animation like in DAO and not because of some arbitrary critical hit on an enemy with 10% health, I like to know I won through fair play and not because of some fortuitous roll at a fortuitous time. If a guy goes down anyway because of a critical hit then sure, their arm or something can fall off as they go down but only if they would've died anyway.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Ok , you guys dont get it... baldurs gate tried to do it , in it own manner ( for the time the meat explosion was that finisher)

not sayin that need flash lights or slow mos, u dont need even to change the camera.

its just a different animation than attack, illustrating that he is finished.