well, the title says it all :) could you guys please add some map note functionality, pretty please? :))

personal preference, curious what others think about it.

Edited by cealicu_ca
  • Like 5

"Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain."

- Isaak Yudovich Ozimov

A game without mapnotes in this day and age would feel extremely out of place. I wouldn't even request this; I'm simply assuming that it's going to be in.

guess he was talking about personal map notes like in the old days. in nwn2 there was also a blank page in your journal where you could write down notes. that was an awesome possibility which could been used with sparse quest logs. carefully listen what a npc told you and write down the important parts.

I love the idea. But is it needed? Like in DAO would you ever have needed map notes? I cant remember and I only got through about half the game. If it would help I would totally want it in there.

In IWD2, I would not have managed to get through the Fell Wood maze without the ability to add map markers.

Edited by anek

It' a question of how the game leads you through quests. In case OE makes the game "hardcore" when it comes to quests, it would be really great if people could make their own map notes (with hardcore I mean no excessive questlog , no quest markers and only a very basic journal).

35167v4.jpg

I like to have map notes at my disposal, but I agree that in more "modern" games they're usually useless because the "preset" ones are more than enough; but, IMO, that's only because exploration and quests are designed that way.

Example: Baldur's Gate 1 - Beregost town.

Nowadays, the game would probably allow you to visit "plot" and "sidequests" buildings only, while other ones would stay barred, added only for "scenery". So, the game would automatically mark the inns, the blacksmith and so on.

But what about the other buildings you could freely explore back then? Certain buildings were the home of nameless NPCs, so I used a custom map marker to identify them so; in others there could be locked chests I could not open, so I used a custom map marker to identify them so. In another, a named NPC and so, for the sake of having a "complete" map, I used a custom map marker to identify that house as "alphyna's house", for example :p

It was nice because it was a more graphical way to "take notes" in a paper about what I was exploring. Nowadays, instead, everything is "cooked" for you, exploration wise.

---

In short, "yes" to custom map markers/notes.

• Like 1

"The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance" - Wing Commander IV

every map should come with a box of crayons (or at least a pencil).

i'd actuallt extend this plea to journal as a whole. and to make the notes not only writable but drawable.

and don't populate the map with annotations automatically - make them apear only when we've learnd of the location throughconversation or a book or divination...

Map notes are useless.

You've forgotten to add the last part of your sentence: "......to me." :getlost:

i consciously add this to any statement of any person on any forum. helps with the perspective.

Map notes are useful for cities and overland maps where there is a lot of detail. But I do enjoy the look of an artistically hand-drawn map, rather than a technological marvel. So I could probably live without automatic notes.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Once again I'm stunned by the community.

I've never ever used map notes (except automatic ones, obvoiusly). In most cases I don't even know if such a feature exists in the game I'm playing.

Just so you know, that feature have (almost?) totally disappeared from games in this day and age of hand holding, small areas and quest markers.

All the old IE games had it and I used it a lot in Baldur's Gates to keep track of areas too hard for me or place I had to return to.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

If we wind up with a SOZ/ Darklands type of overland exploration (which I hope we have in some form) and not just, "let me mark that on your map," then map notes are a must. I would personally enjoy discovering things like a ruin, that you had to then investigate and collect information about in a local town before heading back to use a password, key or ritual to gain access.

@Aedelric: and thank you :) it would be really odd if everyone were to agree

on another note - maybe i've been a little vague about it. yes, i was talking about custom map notes, as some others have already mentioned it, you come across an interesting object or place that you cannot yet interact with and just place a marker on the map reminding you to come later to visit.

of course this is closely tied to the mechanics of the quests, but i have a feeling it's not going to be like D3 for that matter, and we will have a degree of freedom. (na: feeling = hope :geek: ).

thanks to all for the replies :bow:

Edited by cealicu_ca

"Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain."

- Isaak Yudovich Ozimov