Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Translations

eternity translations

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
580 replies to this topic

Poll: Translations (1697 member(s) have cast votes)

Translation to which languages should be a priority in your opinion (in addition to English, French, German and Spanish, which are already confirmed)?

1. Dutch (39 votes [1.72%])

Percentage of vote: 1.72%

2. Chinese (279 votes [12.32%])

Percentage of vote: 12.32%

3. Italian (561 votes [24.78%])

Percentage of vote: 24.78%

4. Japanese (115 votes [5.08%])

Percentage of vote: 5.08%

5. Korean (46 votes [2.03%])

Percentage of vote: 2.03%

6. Portuguese (89 votes [3.93%])

Percentage of vote: 3.93%

7. Polish (406 votes [17.93%])

Percentage of vote: 17.93%

8. Russian (351 votes [15.50%])

Percentage of vote: 15.50%

9. Turkish (312 votes [13.78%])

Percentage of vote: 13.78%

10. Other (specify in comments) (66 votes [2.92%])

Percentage of vote: 2.92%

Vote

Sempavor

Sempavor

Bandit of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Steam:Sempavor
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Normally, the standard location for the videogame, at least here in Europe, with Multi 5 English, French, German, Spanish and Italian.
We do not understand why in this case they have forgotten Italian.

They invented the Multi4 and want to register the copyright. :p

However now it only remains to wait and hope that funds grow fast.

Macbeth

Macbeth

Chronicler of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer

Learn English.

"#$#$ you, as long as I get mine".

Divisive, selfish and ultimately self-defeating. I thought this crowd would have more solidarity considering the funding model, but nope! Many on these forums actively work against their fellow gamers interests, dividing themselves up into armed camps instead of supporting each other. Here is a great post satirizing this attitude, which hits the nail on the head:

http://forums.obsidi...other-features/

All I can hope for is that the devs don't listen to the so-called 'fans' too much and translate the game into as many languages as possible. With the support of French, German and Spanish old-school gamers, maybe the next game will get even more funding.

I learned English to play (and by playing) computer games. Go cry on a different grave.

Good for you that you learned another language.
Sad for you that it didn't make you a wiser man.
  • Sempavor, SewerCover, rv000 and 3 others like this

Pauzulodburzum

Pauzulodburzum

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Norwegian, for the youngest players here :) in norway that is :)

jerf

jerf

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 16 posts
If someone thinks that he or she can help with the translation to a certain language, I'd suggest sending a message to the developeres through the Kickstarter website with that offer, since they are known to read all the messages there.

Lysen

Lysen

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 348 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
FIGS should be enough, it seems that it is already decided (minus Italian for some reason).

Luckmann

Luckmann

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3497 posts
None. It's a complete waste of resources.
Any time now, I'm going to start demanding Scandinavian translation.

JediMB

JediMB

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Swedish, if they'll pay me to do it. I'm cheap.

Otherwise, the $2.2M stretch goal is enough.

alphyna

alphyna

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Actually fans can be pretty awesome with their custom translations at times. The latest thing I remember is when EA for some crazy reason decided not to translate DLCs for Dragon Age: Origins into Russian starting from the second DLC, fans were able to do this job with an outstanding quality, one DLC per week.

The problem with fan translations is that they are very uneven. Some are awesome and some are terribly, terribly bad. I don't think it would be wise to use something that unpredictable in high quality product like Project Eternity. Although I think that allowing the community to patch the game with custom translations would be a great idea.

This, this and this.
I weep tears of blood looking at some fan translations.
(Then again, sometimes the same applies to official ones.)
  • Buzzn Frogg likes this

LordCrash

LordCrash

Grand Weresheep of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1153 posts
  • Steam:LordCrash88
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Only Russian because there is a reasonable market for RPGs like this. In my experience most Polish gamers can speak either English or Russian or both so there is no real need for a Polish version (at release at least). I think the Italian market is for a niche game like that too small to justify an Italian version. Same is true for all other suggested languages.

Rosveen

Rosveen

Obsidian Order's Prophet of Woe

• Members
  • 708 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
This is an interesting question. I'm Polish, but I usually choose the original language version of games I play, so I don't need a translation. However, I know many people who want to play in their native language whenever it's possible simply because it's more comfortable for them. It's particularly important in a game focusing on dialogue (or text in general) - even if players have a communicative level of English, it doesn't mean they can easily understand more complex texts. Translations help them fully experience the game and enjoy all aspects of it.

With this in mind, all I can say is: since they already decided to include translations, they might as well give us a Polish version.

This, this and this.
I weep tears of blood looking at some fan translations.
(Then again, sometimes the same applies to official ones.)

I weep when I see games translated by Cenega. Far Cry was a joke, Mass Effect remarkably poor, even Skyrim came out rather bland. I'll take fan translations any day :)

In my experience most Polish gamers can speak either English or Russian or both

Fun fact: the majority of young people in Poland don't speak Russian. We usually learn English and German and in recent years Spanish has become more popular than Russian. Three, maybe four of my friends would be able to understand a game in Russian (though it's true that virtually everyone can play in English).

Edited by Rosveen, 25 September 2012 - 09:58 AM.

• Arkeus, hernedpea, rv000 and 1 other like this

LordCrash

LordCrash

• Members
  • 1153 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

In my experience most Polish gamers can speak either English or Russian or both

Fun fact: the majority of young people in Poland don't speak Russian. We usually learn English and German and in recent years Spanish has become more popular than Russian. Three, maybe four of my friends would be able to understand a game in Russian (though it's true that virtually everyone can play in English).

Ok, but that isn't a pro-argument for a Polish version because if it's true what you say most (young) Polish can play PE in English or German. :rolleyes:

(as you said....) :yes:

Edited by LordCrash, 25 September 2012 - 10:13 AM.

Ryuzaki

Ryuzaki

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 18 posts

I think the Italian market is for a niche game like that too small to justify an Italian version. Same is true for all other suggested languages.

What? I do not think so. 90% of my friends loves the Obsidian RPG. :D

Edited by Ryuzaki, 25 September 2012 - 10:32 AM.

norolim

norolim

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'm Polish as well and I have to disagree with Rosveen. Knowledge of English is not as common among young people in Poland as he says. Many may know some basics, but in most cases it's far to little to be comfortable playing a text heavy game in that language. Besides, this is a type of game that will also appeal to an older generation. I'd estimate, no more than 10% of them know enough English to play it in the original language.
  • orfeusz, hernedpea and rv000 like this

LordCrash

LordCrash

• Members
  • 1153 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I think the Italian market is for a niche game like that too small to justify an Italian version. Same is true for all other suggested languages.

What? I do not think so. 90% of my friends loves the Obsidian RPG. :D

That's indeed not a very good argument because your and your circle of friends are not a group big enough to be representative for the Italian speaking population. ;)

Ryuzaki

Ryuzaki

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 18 posts

That's indeed not a very good argument because your and your circle of friends are not a group big enough to be representative for the Italian speaking population. ;)

Well, the Italian market in Europe is the fourth best market for video games after England, Germany and France (official data).
On the forum I know many people who play RPGs on the PC, while all the previous Obsidian games have been translated into Italian amateur.
So probably the Italian market is not the best, ok, but if this game will be translated into Spanish, there is no reason why it should not be translated in our language.

Flouride

Flouride

Chew Toy of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2021 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
I personally don't care, but I guess people who speak Italian, Portugese and/or Polish would appriciate it ;)

Arsinis

Arsinis

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Russian translation would be great.

Frozen

Frozen

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 2 posts

I weep when I see games translated by Cenega. Far Cry was a joke, Mass Effect remarkably poor, even Skyrim came out rather bland. I'll take fan translations any day :)

Mass Effect (the first one) was translated by CD Projekt, not Cenega ;)

Siegrun

Siegrun

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 1 posts
Russian. I love Obsidian! :cat:

Learn English.

And..? I don't want give my money for english game. It is abnormal. You are bad businessman with bad ideas))))
  • SewerCover likes this

LordCrash

LordCrash

• Members
  • 1153 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Well, the Italian market in Europe is the fourth best market for video games after England, Germany and France (official data).
On the forum I know many people who play RPGs on the PC, while all the previous Obsidian games have been translated into Italian amateur.
So probably the Italian market is not the best, ok, but if this game will be translated into Spanish, there is no reason why it should not be translated in our language.

But you forget the fact that Spanish is not only spoken in Spain but also in many other countries in Latin and South America. So there is a much bigger market for Spanish games than for Italian games. If Obsidian decides that the Italian market is big enough for a translation at release, be happy but I wouldn't count on that. ;)
  • Bill Gates' Son likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eternity, translations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users