Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Translations

eternity translations

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
580 replies to this topic

Poll: Translations (1697 member(s) have cast votes)

Translation to which languages should be a priority in your opinion (in addition to English, French, German and Spanish, which are already confirmed)?

1. Dutch (39 votes [1.72%])

Percentage of vote: 1.72%

2. Chinese (279 votes [12.32%])

Percentage of vote: 12.32%

3. Italian (561 votes [24.78%])

Percentage of vote: 24.78%

4. Japanese (115 votes [5.08%])

Percentage of vote: 5.08%

5. Korean (46 votes [2.03%])

Percentage of vote: 2.03%

6. Portuguese (89 votes [3.93%])

Percentage of vote: 3.93%

7. Polish (406 votes [17.93%])

Percentage of vote: 17.93%

8. Russian (351 votes [15.50%])

Percentage of vote: 15.50%

9. Turkish (312 votes [13.78%])

Percentage of vote: 13.78%

10. Other (specify in comments) (66 votes [2.92%])

Percentage of vote: 2.92%

Vote

Benjamin Breeg

Benjamin Breeg

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts

translations, even high profile ones, are usually far below the original writing quality, which can put a serious damper on a text/dialogue heavy game like this

plus who doesn't speak or at least understand english in this day and age?

imo they should spend their resources on something else

While I prefer to play in English, there are a lot of people who aren't fluent in English. Especilly if someone is older and/or from an former comministic country, since they didn't teach English in school, but Russian for example.
  • twincast and melkathi like this

Macbeth

Macbeth

Chronicler of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer

A lot of discussion presupposes multiple language support to be done as a favour instead of being a business decision. Is it? Is it a net loss in terms of pledged development funds against the extra amount gained? Is it a net loss post-release in terms of additional sales? Is it even a loss in terms of personnel-hours towards the core game? Any guess I make would be a completely uneducated one, so I will refrain from doing so, and view all other guesses through the same prism.

The answer is no to all of them and do speak from experience. Any localisation that is done is based on sales projections. If these are favourable, localisation will go through provided there’s budget for it and the profit is deemed ‘worth it’ in the eyes of company management.

As for loss of personnel hours: there is none except for the time put in by producers/localisation managers and this is an integral part of development anyway. Same goes for the programming of multiple language support. But the real big job, the translation itself; this is done by external companies.

(Which goes to show once more that the equation of ‘more languages = less quests’ is completely nonsensical. The department of design has nothing to do whatsoever with the process of localisation.)
  • max8472, twincast, MacArthur and 2 others like this

vattghern

vattghern

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 95 posts
why are translations a stretch goal then if adding them is not dependant on the budget?

plus you cant compare an obscure language like polish to english. if obs were polish or russian or whatever then i could see the need to translate their game to reach a wider audience, but the way things stand i consider it a waste, and the germans, french etc would be better off playing it in english anyway rather than the inferior version in their native language

norolim

norolim

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

[Otherwise you have no idea what are you writing about. Let's look at the Polish localisation of Planescape Torment, made once by CD Projekt. A costly challenge for a professional team which took months, high price of end product.

An optional amateur translation, made by dedicated fans, is often far better than a cheap 'official' translation.

I'm affraid you don't know what you are writing about. I've seen a few of those translations made by devoted fans, who know some English and...well...little more. A sad joke, really. If you aim at quality, professionals must be involved. Oh, and do you have any sources for the claims about CD Projekt and PST? Did you work on that project?

why are translations a stretch goal then if adding them is not dependant on the budget?

plus you cant compare an obscure language like polish to english. if obs were polish or russian or whatever then i could see the need to translate their game to reach a wider audience, but the way things stand i consider it a waste, and the germans, french etc would be better off playing it in english anyway rather than the inferior version in their native language

Wow. Can you be more ignorant?

Edited by norolim, 25 September 2012 - 05:06 AM.

• twincast, Sempavor, MacArthur and 3 others like this

Macbeth

Macbeth

Chronicler of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer

They are an incentive, not a dependency, at least not as far as ‘core’ languages like German, Spanish and French are concerned. I’m almost 100% sure that even if Obsidian does not get a 2.2m backing, these localisations will still be realised. These will earn them a lot more money than they will cost them.
  • twincast and MacArthur like this

alphyna

alphyna

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Russian.
But please oh please hire someone who can do a good literary translation. Like me.
It just hurts to see a good text butchered.
  • septembervirgin and Rangar like this

leshy

leshy

Red Mage of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:yezu666
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

These will earn them a lot more money than they will cost them.

I totally agree. Many people speak English as foreign language enough to communicate but not enough to actually enjoy the game. If you ignore most widely spoken languages you loose many potential gamers. So yes localization is a business decision and most games released today are localized at least with EFIGS.

you cant compare an obscure language like Polish to English.

Out of curiosity I checked. Apparently Polish is spoken by at least 10% of the EU. Given the fact that only the EFIGS languages are more popular I don't think you can consider it obscure. And if you're curious why I'm concerned with Europe so much, take a look here: http://forums.obsidi...-everyone-from/

To summarize this, if anybodies answer to the localization question is "learn English". I suggest they shut up and learn Esperanto.

Edited by leshy, 25 September 2012 - 05:23 AM.

• twincast, Sempavor, qloher and 7 others like this

qloher

qloher

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 101 posts
Actually fans can be pretty awesome with their custom translations at times. The latest thing I remember is when EA for some crazy reason decided not to translate DLCs for Dragon Age: Origins into Russian starting from the second DLC, fans were able to do this job with an outstanding quality, one DLC per week.

P.S. BTW, I'm all for out of the box localizations in as many languages as possible on day one.

Edited by qloher, 25 September 2012 - 05:32 AM.

• Reddie, SewerCover and rv000 like this

leshy

leshy

Red Mage of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:yezu666
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Actually fans can be pretty awesome with their custom translations at times. The latest thing I remember is when EA for some crazy reason decided not to translate DLCs for Dragon Age: Origins into Russian starting from the second DLC, fans were able to do this job with an outstanding quality, one DLC per week.

The problem with fan translations is that they are very uneven. Some are awesome and some are terribly, terribly bad. I don't think it would be wise to use something that unpredictable in high quality product like Project Eternity. Although I think that allowing the community to patch the game with custom translations would be a great idea.
  • Simonosaurus likes this

max8472

max8472

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Based on requests in Kickstarter update #8 I voted italian and russian.

I'm from Italy.
  • Sempavor and SewerCover like this

evdk

evdk

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 673 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The problem with fan translations is that they are very uneven. Some are awesome and some are terribly, terribly bad. I don't think it would be wise to use something that unpredictable in high quality product like Project Eternity. Although I think that allowing the community to patch the game with custom translations would be a great idea.

Not to mention that I would like to see a group of fan translators with their inevitable drama meet some kind of deadline.

Lucas

Lucas

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Like I wrote in the "official" topic, it would be great if Obsidian could at least provide a tool (and Feargus mentioned something akin to that in a post inside the comments section of the kickstarter page, last night) in order to extract the text dialogue files with ease, because sometimes that's a problem for the amateur translation teams, that are required to re-arrange and rummage through the aforementioned files in order to give 'em a resemblance of chronology.

So, problem solved, if Obsidian can't simply put more resources into more translations (and we'll just have to accept that): amateur translation teams will take care of that post-release, like it or not (a few years ago, an italian team translated Torment in its entirety, plus Arcanum, Morrowind and its expansions, and Divine Divinity). After all, CRPGs fans are quite dedicated fellas, as you can see by the Bethesda games modding communities and more.

Edited by Lucas, 25 September 2012 - 05:56 AM.

• Buzzn Frogg, twincast and Sempavor like this

Avellone is My God

Avellone is My God

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 2 posts
My two cents for Italy...
  • max8472, Sempavor and svartelric like this

Wintersong

Wintersong

Tempest of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Learn English.

So a company has a website for their product. A very nice, clean and pretty one. Some people with a disability, in this case they are blind, are truly interested in visiting the website and check the information in it (they really really want to buy) but... whoa! Totally inaccessible! The website doesn't care about the Web Accessibility Initiative and their Web Content Accessibility Guidelines. Those of them open minded enough (or really hardcore) may bother trying to decypher all the chaos that the pages' content is. The rest will just avoid the website with that it potentially can mean (not positive).

The company has to choose: do they prefer to spend part of their resources adding new content to their website or should they try to make their website complaint with the WCAG? On one hand, how many blind people actually could go to the website and could become regular customer in addition of some extra good company image? On the other, why bother pandering to them when the company alrady has other potential customers that don't require them to spend resources in tweaking the website?

If you were blind, what would you choose?

Edited by Wintersong, 25 September 2012 - 06:07 AM.

molarBear

molarBear

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 178 posts
personally i don't wanna see any translations, at least the translations should be fan-made/crowdsourced (save precious $$$).
also, why not give turkish a chance? many gamers in turkey do not know sufficient english to play text-heavy crpgs. it's probably as big a market as germany. when crysis was released in turkish its sales soared in turkey. many people bought it just to support turkish language games as they are really scarce. it's an odd mentality but shows that there is a desperate need for tr-lang games.

Edited by molarBear, 25 September 2012 - 06:18 AM.

• thracian likes this

evdk

evdk

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 673 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Learn English.

So a company has a website for their product. A very nice, clean and pretty one. Some people with a disability, in this case they are blind, are truly interested in visiting the website and check the information in it (they really really want to buy) but... whoa! Totally inaccessible! The website doesn't care about the Web Accessibility Initiative and their Web Content Accessibility Guidelines. Those of them open minded enough (or really hardcore) may bother trying to decypher all the chaos that the pages' content is. The rest will just avoid the website with that it potentially can mean (not positive).

The company has to choose: do they prefer to spend part of their resources adding new content to their website or should they try to make their website complaint with the WCAG? On one hand, how many blind people actually could go to the website and could become regular customer in addition of some extra good company image? On the other, why bother pandering to them when the company alrady has other potential customers that don't require them to spend resources in tweaking the website?

If you were blind, what would you choose?

If I were blind could I learn to see?
  • -O- likes this

thracian

thracian

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

personally i don't wanna see any translations, at least the translations should be fan-made/crowdsourced (save precious $$$).
also, why not give turkish a chance? many gamers in turkey do not know sufficient english to play text-heavy crpgs. it's probably as big a market as germany. when crysis was released in turkish its sales soared in turkey. many people bought it just to support turkish language games as they are really scarce. it's an odd mentality but shows that there is a desperate need for tr-lang games.

i couldn't say it better myself :)
there were also campaigns for football manager that people stipulated to buy it if there would be a turkish edition. si games finally decided to support turkish language for fm 2013

Loki Ador

Loki Ador

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Guys

Don't feed the trolls (Vattghern & evdk)

Threads related to localizations have a sad tendency to get out of control because of such people. Let them spite on Obsidian's decision to make localization a (likely) threshold, the quality of the discussion will only improve.

maggotheart

maggotheart

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Learn English.

"#$#$ you, as long as I get mine".

Divisive, selfish and ultimately self-defeating. I thought this crowd would have more solidarity considering the funding model, but nope! Many on these forums actively work against their fellow gamers interests, dividing themselves up into armed camps instead of supporting each other. Here is a great post satirizing this attitude, which hits the nail on the head:

http://forums.obsidi...other-features/

All I can hope for is that the devs don't listen to the so-called 'fans' too much and translate the game into as many languages as possible. With the support of French, German and Spanish old-school gamers, maybe the next game will get even more funding.
  • max8472, twincast, Simonosaurus and 3 others like this

evdk

evdk

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 673 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Learn English.

"#$#$ you, as long as I get mine".

Divisive, selfish and ultimately self-defeating. I thought this crowd would have more solidarity considering the funding model, but nope! Many on these forums actively work against their fellow gamers interests, dividing themselves up into armed camps instead of supporting each other. Here is a great post satirizing this attitude, which hits the nail on the head:

http://forums.obsidi...other-features/

All I can hope for is that the devs don't listen to the so-called 'fans' too much and translate the game into as many languages as possible. With the support of French, German and Spanish old-school gamers, maybe the next game will get even more funding.

I learned English to play (and by playing) computer games. Go cry on a different grave.
  • Luckmann likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eternity, translations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users