1697 members have voted

1. 1. Translation to which languages should be a priority in your opinion (in addition to English, French, German and Spanish, which are already confirmed)?

• Dutch
    • Chinese
    • Italian
    • Japanese
    • Korean
    • Portuguese
    • Polish
    • Russian
    • Turkish
    • Other (specify in comments)

plus who doesn't speak or at least understand english in this day and age?

It depends a lot on the native language on how difficult or easy it is to learn English. I bet you also can't easily learn every other language (well, why don't you?). For example, many even have great difficulty with French (including me).

• 2 months later...

On behalf of any Americans who aren't ethnocentric, selfish asshats, I apologize. We're not all like that. I, personally, even as a monolingual American person, would like to see a good crop of translations so more people can enjoy the game. 

As for the folks rolling in their own ignorance like pigs in slop, well, have fun being stupid. The game is already in English, so you don't have to worry your little heads, now do you?

• Like 1

Kindness = Intelligence!

translations, even high profile ones, are usually far below the original writing quality

That reminds me of BG2, where the German translation was in my opinion decent but there were still some strange things. For instance, they translated "adherent" with "Klebstoff" which is the translation for "glue". :unsure:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I dream about transaltion such as the polish publisher did in Baldur's Gate. We in Poland got Baldur's Gate not only with polish subtitles but also with great polish dialogues. The publisher picked the most outstanding polish actors, who created wonderful and amazing adventure. The characters were more expressive and interesting than in the original version.

I dream about transaltion such as the polish publisher did in Baldur's Gate. We in Poland got Baldur's Gate not only with polish subtitles but also with great polish dialogues. The publisher picked the most outstanding polish actors, who created wonderful and amazing adventure. The characters were more expressive and interesting than in the original version.

That's a great dream... but it won't happen.

I already said once, in this very thread that CDP days of glory (as a publisher responsible for superb localisations) are long gone. I hope that collectors edition I'll get, won't turn up to be a localized because I can't recall even a single dubbed title*, that wouldn't disappoint me in recent YEARS. Same goes for titles that got subtitles only, but when it comes to dubbing, the uninspired or overacting actor makes already badly translated script... sort of abomination? You know, we're no longer kids and yet most times I hear a Polish dubbing in a game (watching yt or a stream) I feel like watching a god damn cartoon.

True, I've been avoiding anything with a PL sticker for a while, so there's a slight chance I've missed some kind of second coming in the Polish localization industry, but I doubt it. Especially since it's outsourced more and more to subsidiaries like Sony Computer Entertainment Polska, Electronic Arts Polska or Ubisoft Polska.

Paint me fussy, but that's my money and I strongly believe there are just too many people who are barely trying, later expecting to get paid like their poor excuse for service is the best I deserve.

Thanks but I'd rather ask a friend from UK for help with bringing oryginal copy. This way my money (and money equals time, which is something I'll never have enough) goes to someone who at worst cares a little bit more.

*well, ok I'm fine with Blizzard titles, maybe I should even say I adore them, given how badly everyone else seems to do

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones." - Ross Scott

It's not that I'm lazy. I just don't care.

• 1 month later...

Even though Polish and Russian are in, I just checked all of the options there. Everyone deserves their localization. That and I don't care.

Edited by Messier-31

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Other: I'm Finnish and I don't want Obsidian to waste resources to bring me localization I won't be using. I also doubt localization would bring any more potential buyers for PoE as here in Finland everyone really into this kind of games already has to understand English well enough to survive without translation. Dubbing by Finnish actors would also be pretty much my worst nightmare. (Agapio Racing Team, never forget!)

• Like 3

PlanescapeTorment-1.jpg

Chinese, of course.

Opening your game up to potentially tens of millions of additional customers has to be enticing, no?

Not as big a market as it might seem at first glance, since a big chunk of China loves its gaming piracy. They may play the game if it has a Chinese translation, but they won't necessarily pay for it. 

i'd be extremely happy to see PoE in 正體中文. Not sure if the Taiwan market is big enough to justify that, though. 

Edited by Death Machine Miyagi

Chinese, of course.

Opening your game up to potentially tens of millions of additional customers has to be enticing, no?

Not as big a market as it might seem at first glance, since a big chunk of China loves its gaming piracy. They may play the game if it has a Chinese translation, but they won't necessarily pay for it. 

i'd be extremely happy to see PoE in 正體中文. Not sure if the Taiwan market is big enough to justify that, though. 

I agree that expending resources for a Chinese market that doesn't exist would be a waste, particularly when it comes to software, music, video (anything that can be digitally gotten), and also any other manufactured goods (clothes, purses, shoes, etc. are readily available in bootleg form, not to mention tons of clones for tech items). Also, I'm not sure the PRC Communist government would like all the gray area stuff purported to be in the game anyway.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Other: I'm Finnish and I don't want Obsidian to waste resources to bring me localization I won't be using. I also doubt localization would bring any more potential buyers for PoE as here in Finland everyone really into this kind of games already has to understand English well enough to survive without translation. Dubbing by Finnish actors would also be pretty much my worst nightmare. (Agapio Racing Team, never forget!)

I remember still with abhorrence X-Files game which Finnish translation made game just as hilarious mess, because it had such nice translations like light was translated as kevyt (something with little weight), even though context where it was used was to describe light coming from flashlight. 

• Like 1

@Elerond, PrimeJunta

Traditional Finnish thread hijack. :ninja: Non-Finnish users surely appreciate these memories.

But just one more from Chinatown: "Lousy cold I can't seem to shake." --> "En voi kätellä flunssan takia."

Lucky mistake as that actually makes sense.

• Like 3

PlanescapeTorment-1.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Ok lack only a few months since PoE release.

So I'm wondering, there is news about other new extra languages? 

I'm Italian, and all Obsidian games that i known have the Italian language and Fallout new vegas also had a voiceovers. 

I am incredulous to see that this time the Italians are treated so that by Obsidian that has always been supported by them..

So I'm wondering what is the problem, if this is a money problem ..you can even think about a new kickstarter campaign for the extra languages​​.

It would be nice to get a reply from the developers in order to understand what is the problems and the reasons behind these.

Thanks.

• Like 1