1697 members have voted

1. 1. Translation to which languages should be a priority in your opinion (in addition to English, French, German and Spanish, which are already confirmed)?

• Dutch
    • Chinese
    • Italian
    • Japanese
    • Korean
    • Portuguese
    • Polish
    • Russian
    • Turkish
    • Other (specify in comments)

So, what you're saying is:

"Silly rabbit... translations are for KIDS! 8D"?

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

So, what you're saying is:

"Silly rabbit... translations are for KIDS! 8D"?

No no, don't put words in my mouth, what I'm saying is that translations are for the impious and feeble minded! All people of the master race can speak and understand English perfectly, and thats all that matters! 

:p

• Like 2

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Not making a Polish translation would be a waste considering the job that was done on the BG saga.

Top-notch Polish actors made the atmosphere incredible and the game was quite a success in Poland.

To this day, there are sites with Polish infinity games addicts up and running ;)

I'm not a big fan of translations, as games are one of very few possibilities to keep my English alive and kicking.

But there is more to it, and I going to elaborate.

Frankly most translations in games I've seen (or heard in case of dubbing) were inferior to original material. Having said that, I must admit that dual language translations are the best option possible, but only if I'm allowed to choose, because there are titles that force me to read Polish subtitles while listening English actors and that, I do not find appealing.

But let me get back to my carping :devil: 

I'm a demanding customer, and today's condition of Polish game dubbing / translation industry gives me much to complain. The golden age of Polish game localization that silentsnake is referring to is long gone. Sure back then we were not afraid to hire some great actors, talented theatrical and major movie stars, often oldtimers with actual degrees in professional acting education (of which at least 4 already died in case of aforementioned BG2). Those people were more than able to mesmerize us even in the most stupid plots, or poorly written dialogues. The unquestioned king of that age was CD Project (yup, same company that gave birth to CD Project Red) whose localization were of no match for competitors - after all it was them, who published every Infinity Engine title in Poland.

Unfortunately those days faded away (not only because of money) and today we have a plague of celebrities and starlets whose acting skills are so poor that I feel completely discouraged from buying given game and therefore paying them, bloody amateurs, for a lazy job they did. Let mu use DA:O as an example here. I've got my copy from UK, because I simply couldn't stand what they did to Alistair (very uneven acting of professional actor Jacek Kopczynski) and Morrigan (she was literally butchered in comparison to superb performance of Claudia Black). Not to mention other characters like Arl Rendon Howe (Tim "irreplaceable" Curry) or Teyrn Loghain (Simon Templeman, whos voice is pure definition of... epicness, I don't know :D but I'm in awe every time he speaks). Sure we get few good enough actors like aforementioned Kopczynski or Jacek "Witcher" Rozenek, but unfortunately most of them are overused to the point it breaks my immersion when I hear them for umpteenth time, in a row (i.e. Kopczynski case).

Worth mentioning is Piotr Fronczewski (that voice! same league as Templeman) whose occasional appearance, is kind of consolation prize for anyone who's fed up with quality of Polish localizations - just check those links if You don't believe me: "You must gather your party before venturing forth" and here prologue to Act I from BG2.

Unfortunately, one great voice can't solve problems of the whole industry.

Therefore I won't go for "Polish is most important" even though I understand, what impact the lack of localized version could have on sales of PE here in Poland. Sure, because of restrictions of fun funding PE won't probably have any of those great AAA actors, but that doesn't change my mind upon the matter of translations.

And now I'll wait for that ridiculous wave of "how dare you!? you are not a patriot! are you ashamed of being Pole commie?! gtfo, nobody asked you!" PMs that I always get, after I publicly state that I'm (at least atm) against Polish translations because they suck, and are not worth my money  :p

PS

Here's a special treat for those, who read my rant thoroughly, here's appearance comparison between Jan Jansen and Jan Kobuszewski who gave him voice in Polish version. Turnip FTW!

Edited by milczyciel
  • Like 2

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones." - Ross Scott

It's not that I'm lazy. I just don't care.

despite the fact that english is not my first language, the simple inexistence of translations in my country, other than movie subtitles, has got me used in playing all my games in english. so even if there were a translation, i would not use it. coincidentally, thanks to playing games in english, i passed the exams for the licence to teach it, without having attended a single hour of english class in my life

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

• 2 months later...

We want Turkish subtitles

Who is "we"?

I know it's a tiny, tiny, itsy-bitsy Turkish audience.

Not making a Polish translation would be a waste considering the job that was done on the BG saga.

Top-notch Polish actors made the atmosphere incredible and the game was quite a success in Poland.

To this day, there are sites with Polish infinity games addicts up and running ;)

If it resulted in a net financial loss then, yes, it would be a waste... Only the sales numbers/profits from Polish sales of IE games would be a good gauge of the value.

Edited by AGX-17

LOL, this poll and suddenly tons of new members, 1 post. For a vote. Gotta give it to you, www solidarity.

I guess this poll is really meant for people that english is not first language...being one of them i personally prefer english, i dont master english language but still... I am Bosnian living in Norway, if I try to recreate any fanatsy movie scene or game event in either one language, it only sounds as satire or parody.

I go for Chinise or Japanise language pack or translation. Reasons are my own. Baby steps to victory, hehe.

magic021.jpg

I don't care, because I shall play it English anyhoo.

Therefore I won't go for "Polish is most important" even though I understand, what impact the lack of localized version could have on sales of PE here in Poland. Sure, because of restrictions of fun funding PE won't probably have any of those great AAA actors, but that doesn't change my mind upon the matter of translations.

Also I agree with Milczyciel. Polish golden-era of translations is over. Andrzej Butruk (RIP) as Haer'Dalis (FTW).

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Nothing... ^^

Edited by BillyCorgan

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ I ' M ★  ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ B L A C K S T A R   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ 

I started learning English from games and later from books, the language is not a big obstacle nowadays for people, especially when it comes to English. I assume also that after release, fans will be able to translate texts to their language... however, it will be a titanic effort for such game.

I feel that perhaps partnering or outsourcing to CDPR could bring about some amazing localisation for Poland. They started as a porting-house, and their bread and butter are role-playing games of similar cut as Project Eternity will be. Italian would probably also be worth while based on the sales numbers it could find their.

• 2 weeks later...

From the Kickstart page:

The initial release will be in English, French, German, Spanish, Russian, and Polish. We are also looking for ways of translating the game for our fans all over the rest of the world. As we have more information and our funding increases, we’ll make sure to keep everyone update on what languages will be coming with Project Eternity.

From the Kickstart page:

The initial release will be in English, French, German, Spanish, Russian, and Polish. We are also looking for ways of translating the game for our fans all over the rest of the world. As we have more information and our funding increases, we’ll make sure to keep everyone update on what languages will be coming with Project Eternity.

thanks for the reply

but I see that Italy is right down ....

Don't lose faith yet, it looks like that statement leaves open the possibility for additional translations.

we Italian fans remember that phrase, but now we are depressed, now in my forum no longer speak of project destiny...

Fan translations are a thing that exists. I'd imagine there are some likely fans fluent enough in English (or one of the other translated languages) that they'd be able to translate the game for the sake of their fellow countrymen. All that's left after that is whether or not they have the will to do it.