1697 members have voted

1. 1. Translation to which languages should be a priority in your opinion (in addition to English, French, German and Spanish, which are already confirmed)?

• Dutch
    • Chinese
    • Italian
    • Japanese
    • Korean
    • Portuguese
    • Polish
    • Russian
    • Turkish
    • Other (specify in comments)

• 2 weeks later...

I voted for polish, but I'm ok with no translation if it means more in-game content :)

"Go where the others have gone, to the tenebrous limit

for the golden fleece of void, your ultimate prize

go upright among those who are on their knees

among those turning their backs on and those fallen to dust"

Zbigniew Herbert, Message of Mr. Cogito

• 2 weeks later...

Italian please. I've played all Obsidian, Black Isle and Bioware RPGs.. Baldur's Gate I & II are the best D&D RPG ever created, I thought that there would be no more isometric RPGs like them.. until I discovered the brave idea of Project Eternity.

I've no problems with English but the localization in a role-play game is very important to achieve the best experience of gameplay that a RPG has to offer.

Support also Italian RPGs fans please, thank you very much.

Best regards.

Latin American Spanish

Woah! Hold on a second. WTF is that?

Castilian is the main language in South America (Many Castilian users in North America as well). Just because most people don't know how to write/speak correctly, doesn't mean you should call it by a different name. You're not related to ancient Rome, its people, or its culture. You're not Latin. Most Americans might describe you as "Latino", but we all know how ignorant they are in foreign culture/history. Some people from Spain may call themselves as Latins, because most cities from the Community of Catalonia and Valencia (Plus several others from the Kingdom of Castile and Lion), were founded by the Roman Empire.

By the way, I voted for Hebrew.

Edited by Felithvian

Latin American Spanish

You're not related to ancient Rome, its people, or its culture. You're not Latin. Most Americans might describe you as "Latino", but we all know how ignorant they are in foreign culture/history. Some people from Spain may call themselves as Latins, because most cities from the Community of Catalonia and Valencia (Plus several others from the Kingdom of Castile and Lion), were founded by the Roman Empire.

It's still a Latin language, which makes them a Latin people (genetics has nothing to do with it).

It's part of the Romance family (also called the Romanic or Latin languages), is it not? It's derived from Vulgar Latin.

Should we not call the Finns Uralic, just because Finland is nowhere near the Ural mountains and the Finnish culture has more in common with other

(Indo-)European cultures than it does with... the Samoyedic culture, for instance? That's not how it works.

Edited by Agelastos

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself! Apart from pain... and maybe humiliation. And obviously death and failure. But apart from fear, pain, humiliation, failure, the unknown and death, we have nothing to fear but fear itself!"

Latin American Spanish

You're not related to ancient Rome, its people, or its culture. You're not Latin. Most Americans might describe you as "Latino", but we all know how ignorant they are in foreign culture/history. Some people from Spain may call themselves as Latins, because most cities from the Community of Catalonia and Valencia (Plus several others from the Kingdom of Castile and Lion), were founded by the Roman Empire.

Should we not call the Finns Uralic, just because Finland is nowhere near the Ural mountains and the Finnish culture has more in common with other

(Indo-)European cultures than it does with... the Samoyedic culture, for instance? That's not how it works.

Yeah, we should use Finno-Ugric term as it emphases more Finnish than Uralic, there is so few speakers of Samoyedic languages, that we should change descriptive term to more appropriate one :biggrin:.

It's still a Latin language, which makes them a Latin people (genetics has nothing to do with it).

It's part of the Romance family (also called the Romanic or Latin languages), is it not? It's derived from Vulgar Latin.

Language alone doesn't make someone Latin. As I said before, the cultural influence must be present to determine their historical identity. While you may consider some spaniards as Latin people (Not the case for me), their cultural roots from the roman empire would never be established correctly during an occupation (Colonization). I'm from Spain, but I'll never consider myself as Latin, for the same reason I stated for the South Americans. If Spain failed in America, Rome failed in Hispania.

But we'll all agree, that Latin in Spain is less adulterated than in South America. We're more closer to the "source". But that still doesn't give us the right, to call ourselves llatíns.

Yeah, we should use Finno-Ugric term as it emphases more Finnish than Uralic, there is so few speakers of Samoyedic languages, that we should change descriptive term to more appropriate one :biggrin:.

The Finno-Ugric languages is just one of the groups in the Uralic language family. So no.

Samoyedic was just an example of a Uralic language that is still spoken around the Ural mountains (the urheimat of the Uralic languages).

Language alone doesn't make someone Latin. As I said before, the cultural influence must be present to determine their historical identity. While you may consider some spaniards as Latin people (Not the case for me), their cultural roots from the roman empire would never be established correctly during an occupation (Colonization). I'm from Spain, but I'll never consider myself as Latin, for the same reason I stated for the South Americans. If Spain failed in America, Rome failed in Hispania.

But we'll all agree, that Latin in Spain is less adulterated than in South America. We're more closer to the "source". But that still doesn't give us the right, to call ourselves llatíns.

So what? Anglophones are still considered Germanic even though the English language, the various cultures associated with it, and even the genetic makeup of most of its speakers are far removed from the Norse source (Scandinavia is the urheimat of the Germanic languages).

We migrate, we trade and we fight with foreign cultures. We conquer and we get conquered. Our languages and cultures mix, evolve, and become "bastardized".

But classifications such as "Latin", "Germanic", "Sinitic", or "Semitic" refer to any and all native speakers of languages belonging to those language families or subdivisons.

Maybe most Latin American dialects and local cultures have Amerindian and/or West African influences. The Spanish language and culture already has Celtiberian, Basque and Arabic substrata.

You're still "Latin", because your language belongs to that particular subdivision of the Indo-European language family. An African-American is still Germanic, an Arab is Semitic, and so on.

Edited by Agelastos

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself! Apart from pain... and maybe humiliation. And obviously death and failure. But apart from fear, pain, humiliation, failure, the unknown and death, we have nothing to fear but fear itself!"

We have German,French and Spanish, I believe that the Italian can not miss ...

Please insert the Italian language..

We have always loved and supported your big titles.

Thanks and good work!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Obviously slavik countries, Poland and Russia. Poland, because it's a land of awesomeness (women and RPG devs). Russia, because they also have nice women and if you won't comply you'll have Mr. Putin staring at you... ;)

Polish and Russian already confirmed. Someone really should update the poll...

Obviously slavik countries, Poland and Russia. Poland, because it's a land of awesomeness (women and RPG devs). Russia, because they also have nice women and if you won't comply you'll have Mr. Putin staring at you... ;)

Yes, Slavic racial/ethnic superiority and nationalism are more valid basis for translation than potential sales revenues. Obviously superior to dirty american western mongrel races who make eternity projekt game. Play soviet anthem now.

Japanese. I'll help translate if need be, I wanna see this in Japanese.

There is, almost literally, no market whatsoever for this type of game in Japan. It's true that Fallout 3, NV and Skyrim have been rather successful in Japan, but they're not IE games. Compare this to the Dragon Age games, the closest thing to IE games to be made in the last 8 years or so, which bombed there. Maybe it was because of poor localization (the same goes for the Mass Effect games, Zenimax/Bethesda has done full Japanese dubs for all their games since F3, EA just provides Japanese subtitles,) maybe it was because of the gameplay style, but there's no way to know without some kind of market research. Either way, the fundamental truth of the matter is that they didn't do well. Edited by AGX-17

Yes, Slavic racial/ethnic superiority and nationalism are more valid basis for translation than potential sales revenues. Obviously superior to dirty american western mongrel races who make eternity projekt game. Play soviet anthem now.

This was unnecessary. He was clearly joking, no need to make it political.