1697 members have voted

1. 1. Translation to which languages should be a priority in your opinion (in addition to English, French, German and Spanish, which are already confirmed)?

• Dutch
    • Chinese
    • Italian
    • Japanese
    • Korean
    • Portuguese
    • Polish
    • Russian
    • Turkish
    • Other (specify in comments)

https://en.wikipedia...native_speakers

Your list is a bit off - Portuguese is way ahead of Russian, French and German, Russian is not ahead of Spanish, etc., etc.

People tend to forget about Brazil, don't they? And that Russia, while a large country, doesn't have even half of the US population.

A while ago someone made a thread about Spanish. Apparently, the one used on PE website is European. If the translation uses the same version, then South America isn't covered at all - neither by Spanish nor Portuguese. This leads me to believe that we need both Italian and Portuguese.

I'm not sure about Asian languages. Is there really a market for a game like this? If there is, then I guess they should make a Mandarin translation. Think about it: they considered new translation and now that Polish and Russian are covered by the publisher, they don't need to pay for these two. Why not use the resources for another language?

Edited by Rosveen

We're talking about over 4 MILION DOLLARS for this project. Record for videogames in Kickstarter and 3rd in overall

The goal to START the game was 1.1 MIL

Are you saying to me that Obsidian can't invest 1000 dollars in a text translation?

If fans can do it with the toolkit for free in their spare time, image a professional society.

Guys in Italy will agree with me that piracy is wide in our country, and this is the main problem about our "little piece of market" for the videogame industry.

But if you create a good game, with high quality support (see The Witcher 2), the italian comunity will reward you, like we did with Red Project (aka Witcher creators)

No one can talk about piracy in this game, we paid in advance !!! Me for example backed 380 USD, many other Italians did the same with more or less money, I really hope to be at least considered as a "CUSTOMER" with equal rights as others languages customers.

• Like 2

No one can talk about piracy in this game, we paid in advance !!! Me for example backed 380 USD, many other Italians did the same with more or less money, I really hope to be at least considered as a "CUSTOMER" with equal rights as others languages customers.

We didn't pay in advance for the game. This was not a preorder.

We gave them money as sponsors of sort, to allow them to make their game. And as thanks they gave us all the stuff in the tier we chose.

The game will have piracy when it'll be released. Just wait and see.

Simmer down. They can't possibly translate Project Eternity into every single language in the world, so someone will always feel neglected. That's why they're going to release translation tools - there seems to be a dedicated Italian community here, so even if you don't get an official translation you can do one yourselves.

Be patient. If the devs look into this thread - and I'm sure they do every once in a while - they already know there's high demand for Italian localization.

• Like 1

You're feeling awfully entitled, aren't you?

I'm from Croatia. I won't, nor do I in the least expect to, get the game translated into Serbo-Croatian, and if Obsidian decided to get the game translated into the language I would scream at them to try to dissuade them from doing such a pointless thing. I don't think that has anything to do with me not being treated as a " "CUSTOMER" with equal rights as others languages customers", it's a simple consequence of there not being that many people who speak Serbo-Croatian in the world for it to pay off at all, and the same goes for Italian - the region where the language is spoken is pretty limited and there just aren't that many people in the world who speak Italian.

Edited by Veeno
  • Like 1

runner.jpg

Hey, I just backed you,

and this is crazy,

but here's my money,

so stretch goal maybe?

You know, you can take the book industry ax an example - when a new novel comes out in English the translations are usually done by the local distributor that acquired the rights to print the work in his country. The fans of the book do not yell at the author to translate the book into Spanish himself, they either wait for when the local booksellers start selling the translation or have to learn English. Why does it have to be different in the case of videogames, especially when they are self published by a small team on a tight budget? The Polish and Russian translations are done precisely this way, yet Italian is somehow special?

Say no to popamole!

You know, you can take the book industry ax an example - when a new novel comes out in English the translations are usually done by the local distributor that acquired the rights to print the work in his country. The fans of the book do not yell at the author to translate the book into Spanish himself, they either wait for when the local booksellers start selling the translation or have to learn English. Why does it have to be different in the case of videogames, especially when they are self published by a small team on a tight budget? The Polish and Russian translations are done precisely this way, yet Italian is somehow special?

That's a very serious first world problem for us, you know?!

/sarcasm, I don't care for a translation

• Like 1

There option to do translations but it's more risky specially in this project, but still worth mention i guess.... do it Minecraft style :p there something called:

http://crowdin.net/

...which provided crowd-sourced translation service, where people gather and translate together, suggest translations for each string and to verify qulity it being voted. Minecraft for example using it and thats why it been translated to so many languages in short period of time. Ofcorse downside is there no 100% gurantty that translation will be 100% correct (specially on niche languages, even popular Minecraft with just 1000 strings have problem with that, i contribute to Polish translation and i didn't seen more then 20 votes for a string) and monthly cost (135$ for 50000 strings, there possibility of unlimited but requres negotion)

I don't know the whole translation thing since my first language is english. It could be that Obsidian hasn't been able to find a group that is willing to do the translation before the game is finalized. That could be part of the issue. I don't know what a game company has to go through to do translations since I suspect that is normally handled through a publisher. Since they are currently planning to self publish this game then it takes a bit more resources to track down and agree to some sort of contract for translation. At least that's what I'd think they'd have to deal with. I'm not in their line of business so this is all heresay.

I hope another update from Obsidian will help answer concerns for various groups on subjects like these.

Edited by Technatorium

Hi! I'm all the italians too.

Obsidian owns me nothing. Not even an answer.

No one forced me to donate, I decided on my own, well knowing Obsidian never committed to an italian translation.

And I'm not going to attempt to guilt-trip the developers into adding a feature I want.

But if that could work... cats. I'd like cats, no, I DEMAND CATS, as I'm a BACKER and I say so. And don't you dare ignore me, Obsidian! I want ATTENTION. I expect your answer, Obsidian.

Cats.

• Like 4

I've come to burn your kingdom down

You're feeling awfully entitled, aren't you?

I'm from Croatia. I won't, nor do I in the least expect to, get the game translated into Serbo-Croatian, and if Obsidian decided to get the game translated into the language I would scream at them to try to dissuade them from doing such a pointless thing. I don't think that has anything to do with me not being treated as a " "CUSTOMER" with equal rights as others languages customers", it's a simple consequence of there not being that many people who speak Serbo-Croatian in the world for it to pay off at all, and the same goes for Italian - the region where the language is spoken is pretty limited and there just aren't that many people in the world who speak Italian.

Don't get me wrong, but the thing is that the vast majority of games is not translated into Serbian/Croatian, while it is very often translated in Italian (at least the text), for example every Obsidian game before Eternity has an Italian version (NWN2 and New Vegas are even voiced in Italian), while I don't think they were released in Serbian/Croatian.

It's just odd that in this case Obsidian choose to ignore the standard format of game localization (which is multi5 with English, French, German, Spanish and Italian, or in some lesser cases multi3 without Spanish and Italian).

But hey, It's not as I will hate the devs or the game because my language is not included, I'm still very excited about Eternity andI will play it in English if I have to, only I would have preferred to be able to play it in Italian.

Hi! I'm all the italians too.

Obsidian owns me nothing. Not even an answer.

No one forced me to donate, I decided on my own, well knowing Obsidian never committed to an italian translation.

And I'm not going to attempt to guilt-trip the developers into adding a feature I want.

But if that could work... cats. I'd like cats, no, I DEMAND CATS, as I'm a BACKER and I say so. And don't you dare ignore me, Obsidian! I want ATTENTION. I expect your answer, Obsidian.

Cats.

Of course Obsidian owns nothing to you, me or any other Italian fan, still it's a little strange to have the game translated in many languages and not in Italian, while usually games like this get translated in French, German, Spanish, Italian and of course English (multi5 format).

And since they collected more than they probably expected from the kickstarter and PayPal (which is still open, so their budget will hopefully increase in the next days) they could spend a bit to translate the game in Italian or, let's not be selfish, other languages as well.

Anyhow, I backed the game even if I wasn't sure to have it localized in my native language, and I will play it in English if it will be necessary, only it would be nice (better) to have it translated in Italian, possibly not by fans because those kinds of localizations tend to be not very professional and are prone to delay...

• Like 4

I might sound like a bastard, but I could wish people would just learn to speak English. Note that my first language is not English. There are many beautiful languages out there, but English is the real worlds version of "common" and no, not even the Chinese languages is spoken by more people anymore.

• Like 1

Bump up until Obsidian give us an official position.

Italians please help me in this matter, we deserve at least a response!

I'm following this topic for a long time and I agree with you...even if only for a matter of correctness of obsidian to us!

To respond to other posts about the convenience or not of the Italian localization, I believe that Italian is the most sensible choice considering the interest present in our country for this kind of games (I think Japanese, Chinese, Korean more oriented towards other genres and more accustomed to English than you might think). IMHO is arrogant and unjustly selfish who, being English, doesn't consider further translations useful.... we're all part of the same comunity that aims to make this game the best it can be ( and yes, Obsidian can make a great game) and the lack of a translation in their own language could be a big obstacle for many Italians to a deep understanding of the storyline and, therefore, to fully appreciate the work of obsidian [i talk about italian because this is my language and has obtained the majority of votes!]

the target set for the achievement of 4 million is a big improvement of the game or not? for Italians who have made possible to reach this goal the translation in their own language would undoubtedly be a pleasant improvement

Edited by Dormin
  • Like 3

--- Nimrod of the Obsidian Order ---

But I see my way of rationalising this is in great minority.

It's not a matter of "how many people speak xyz language?".

The question is "what markets might be interested in buying the game?".

I guess that Obsidian has made an informed decision about what languages to support from the gate and have not pulled the winner at random from a hat. They're trying to at the least fund the expansion.

Say no to popamole!

That's why they're going to release translation tools

They are?! Booyah!

Is this official? Has it been announced somewhere, or just mentioned in passing?

It's official, it has been announced in the Update #16.

Don't get me wrong, but the thing is that the vast majority of games is not translated into Serbian/Croatian, while it is very often translated in Italian (at least the text), for example every Obsidian game before Eternity has an Italian version (NWN2 and New Vegas are even voiced in Italian), while I don't think they were released in Serbian/Croatian.

It's just odd that in this case Obsidian choose to ignore the standard format of game localization (which is multi5 with English, French, German, Spanish and Italian, or in some lesser cases multi3 without Spanish and Italian).

Publishers are responsible about translaiting majority of games to other languages. In case of NWN2, Atari was one in charge of distribution and translaiting it and in case of New Vegas, Bethesda was one in charge of those. And why Obsidian don't follow standard format with PE it is because they self publish it and therefore they must themselves pay translation and make distribution deals. And reason why they didn't promise Italian transaltion was probably that they don't have right connections to Italian translators to promise translation before they even know how much there is material to translate. But there is always hope that they can find Italian distributor who is willing to do traslaiting by itself.

I would love to have Czech translation. I know it is probably not worth the costs, but you could leave the translations to community. :)

I support this for morbid curiosity's sake. Projekt: Věčnost FTW!

Say no to popamole!

I would love to have Czech translation. I know it is probably not worth the costs, but you could leave the translations to community. :)

I support this for morbid curiosity's sake. Projekt: Věčnost FTW!

I don't see how that's so radically different from Проект Вечность.

runner.jpg

Hey, I just backed you,

and this is crazy,

but here's my money,

so stretch goal maybe?