1697 members have voted

1. 1. Translation to which languages should be a priority in your opinion (in addition to English, French, German and Spanish, which are already confirmed)?

• Dutch
    • Chinese
    • Italian
    • Japanese
    • Korean
    • Portuguese
    • Polish
    • Russian
    • Turkish
    • Other (specify in comments)

even if there is an Italian translation we are quite angry with obsidian overlooking us :banghead:

if not corrected I will buy the game when it will cost little: at the beginning I wanted to make a donation very rich but the stubbornness of obsidian stopped me :x

• Like 1

any official word from obsidian? i know they will localize the game in French, German, Spanish, Russian, and Polish but anything about Italian?

• Like 1

"if everyone is dead then why don't i remember dying?"

—a clueless sod to a dustman

"if we're all alive then why don't i remember being born?"

—the dustman's response

even if there is an Italian translation we are quite angry with obsidian overlooking us :banghead:

if not corrected I will buy the game when it will cost little: at the beginning I wanted to make a donation very rich but the stubbornness of obsidian stopped me :x

I understand your state of mind, but I thought this project is too important to be reduced to a mere matter of language and so I decided to finance it although the lack of our language irritate me quite

Unfortunately, if obsidian will evaluate the addition of a location based on the financial contribution of the applicants of this, your vote will be useless!

• Like 1

--- Nimrod of the Obsidian Order ---

After over 4.1 millions of dollars and this poll Obsidian must integrate almost italian language into project...

Obsidian can you speak about this? This project is crowfunding, from gamers to gamers, transparent communication among us is the key, please reply to us

• Like 2

Eh ragazzi, mi sa che qui non si cava un ragno dal buco. Polacchi e Russi hanno avuto la loro traduzione solo perchè alcune compagnie di localizzazione dei rispettivi paesi si sono oafferte di fornire quel servizio gratis. Credo lo facciano perchè in quei mercati la distribuzione digitale su steam e similari va poco e dunque sono sicuri di vendere molte copie fisiche con un sovrapprezzo adeguato per rientrare dei costi di traduzione. Da noi non si è fatto avanti nessuno con un offerta simile invece, e vi assicuro che l'annuncio di una traduzione in italiano fatta da Obsidian con i soldi di Kickstarter causerebbe un sacco di flame su questo forum. Tutti gli utenti anglofoni che hanno contribuito si sentirebbero traditi e si lamenterebbero del fatto che i loro soldi vengano spesi per una caratteristica che a loro non interessa. E' dura e naturalmente non condivido la loro opinione ma è così.

Ora come ora l'unica speranza che ci rimane è che qualche squadra di utenti si metta lì ed utilizzi il toolkint che Obsidian metterà a disposizione per fare una traduzione adeguata. Naturalmente ciò significa che non sentiremo mai ridoppiati i dialoghi parlati eccetera, ma mi sa che ora come ora è il meglio che possiamo aspettarci.

Eh ragazzi, mi sa che qui non si cava un ragno dal buco. Polacchi e Russi hanno avuto la loro traduzione solo perchè alcune compagnie di localizzazione dei rispettivi paesi si sono oafferte di fornire quel servizio gratis. Credo lo facciano perchè in quei mercati la distribuzione digitale su steam e similari va poco e dunque sono sicuri di vendere molte copie fisiche con un sovrapprezzo adeguato per rientrare dei costi di traduzione. Da noi non si è fatto avanti nessuno con un offerta simile invece, e vi assicuro che l'annuncio di una traduzione in italiano fatta da Obsidian con i soldi di Kickstarter causerebbe un sacco di flame su questo forum. Tutti gli utenti anglofoni che hanno contribuito si sentirebbero traditi e si lamenterebbero del fatto che i loro soldi vengano spesi per una caratteristica che a loro non interessa. E' dura e naturalmente non condivido la loro opinione ma è così.

Ora come ora l'unica speranza che ci rimane è che qualche squadra di utenti si metta lì ed utilizzi il toolkint che Obsidian metterà a disposizione per fare una traduzione adeguata. Naturalmente ciò significa che non sentiremo mai ridoppiati i dialoghi parlati eccetera, ma mi sa che ora come ora è il meglio che possiamo aspettarci.

At least, it would be nice if someone would give us an explanation. In that way, we wouldn't feel ourselves completely ignored by all people who work at Obsidian.

All Italian people who pledged this game deserve an explanation. For example, I have given 132$, and I know other two (Italian) people who have pledged 280$ each. I don't think our help has been nut. I think it could be gentle a simple answer to our request. At this point, the silence of Obsidian is becoming nasty.

I'm not asking for the translations, I'm asking for a simple answer.

• Like 3

At least, it would be nice if someone would give us an explanation. In that way, we wouldn't feel ourselves completely ignored by all people who work at Obsidian.

All Italian people who pledged this game deserve an explanation. For example, I have given 132$, and I know other two (Italian) people who have pledged 280$ each. I don't think our help has been nut. I think it could be gentle a simple answer to our request. At this point, the silence of Obsidian is becoming nasty.

Me too.

I pledged $318: I am convinced that I deserve an answer. I sincerely hope that Obsidian really does not want to set a new standard: Multi4. It sounds bad.

Edited by Sempavor

Bandit of the Obsidian Order
image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100
animaliacustici.tumblr.com

I add myself to request some words from Obsidian!

I won't let go down this post!

bump up!

• Like 1

Honestly, the poll results make no sense to me.

Well, they do, considering most people would rather just vote selfishly instead of considering the number of people who would benefit from a translation into a certain lanauage (which would, in turn, benefit the game because more people would be likely to buy it).

I selected Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Portuguese.

Why, you ask? Simple.

Not only is there a whole bunch of native Chinese, Japanese and Korean speakers, but they are also far, FAR more likely to not have been taught and thus not know English than anyone anywhere in Europe. It's a simple linguistic fact.

And of the European languages (I consider Turkish practically European) presented in the poll, the only one which covers significant portions of the world outside Europe is Portuguese:

Map_of_the_portuguese_language_in_the_world.png

But I see my way of rationalising this is in great minority.

• Like 2

runner.jpg

Hey, I just backed you,

and this is crazy,

but here's my money,

so stretch goal maybe?

@Veeno

You assuption is not correct in my opinion, i explain you why.

If the "Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Portuguese" markets would be interested in a old style RPG like Project Eternity maybe their "voices" would be stronger here, in the official forums.

If italians are so strongly conviced to support their language here, is becasue there is a truly and deep interest, and Obsidian have to look at this.

• Like 1

If the "Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Portuguese" markets would be interested in a old style RPG like Project Eternity maybe their "voices" would be stronger here, in the official forums.

Not when you consider that great majority of them don't speak English, which is the official language of the forum. They probably have their own forums for discussing the game where they can do it in their own language.

Edited by Veeno

runner.jpg

Hey, I just backed you,

and this is crazy,

but here's my money,

so stretch goal maybe?

Not when you consider that great majority of them don't speak English, which is the official language of the forum. They probably have their own forums for discussing the game where they can do it in their own language.

I would agree on chinise, but not on others.

Japans and Koreans know very well english language, but they are more confortable in JRPG rather than a typical occidental RPG: how many people there have played Baldur's Gate instead of Final Fantasy?

Portuguese players had really few games translated in the past, so this one can't be mandatory.

MULTI5 is not a standard, but is for sure the most used format in videogames industry, and yes the italian is in.

What about supporting a comunity who is here and claim for attention instead an ipotetical comunity that hides itself in non-english forums?

• Like 2

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I thought it was arranged that Russian and Polish translations are going to be completed by the some 3rd party distributor/localisation.

Venom and Veeno, you both make good points. From other posts that I've read, it would be ridiculously frustrating for the Italian audience not to have a translation as it would be ignoring the Multi5 convention. Also, a quarter of all votes on this poll are for Italian. Given that Russian and Polish are already being provided, it would make sense to provide a Chinese translation.

In terms of profit, and utilitarian ethics, Chinese, Japanese and Korean translations are an obvious choice.

I believe that the Asian languages deserve translations, but that Italian should definitely be included.

In terms of your point about the pollers being selfish, isn't that the point of the kickstarter? The fan-base directs some of the process? If many of the backers are Italian or speak Italian as a first language, would it not make sense and be in accordance to their current business model to provide an Italian translation?

• Like 1

Brown Bear- attacks Squirrel
Brown Bear did 18 damage to Squirrel
Squirrel- death

I selected Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Portuguese.

You voted for something that you're not interested in at all. Why?!

What's more, we know that in Japan and in Korea WRPG are not very popular. They prefer Final Fantasy or Starcraft to Planescape or Arcanum, for example. All we know that.

You voted for something that you're not interested in at all.

Wrong.

I'm interested in making the game available and enjoyable to as many people in the entire world as possible.

And that's what I've voted for.

• Like 1

runner.jpg

Hey, I just backed you,

and this is crazy,

but here's my money,

so stretch goal maybe?

Priority system maybe?

First the ones who are backers and wait for the games release like hell (and yes, if i give you my money, i would at least an official position about my arguments).

Second the "possibily interested" rest of the world, which is for the majority a non-backer, and MAYBE would purchase the final release of the game.

it sounds so crazy guys?

Edited by VenomSdM

the silence of obsidian on the Italian translation is increasingly irritating

Don't be obnoxious.

There are many talented people in Italy that can translate the game. Such as the ITP (Italian Translation Project) who translated very well many games in the past (I don't know if they are still active though).

There is no exceptional need for an Italian translation, since the italian market is relatively smaller compared to others in europe.

If any of us italians need a translation to play, the unofficial translation mod will appear soon after release (I can imagine it will be in production even during the beta).

I am a chinese and I voted for chinese. I think TROW can do a good translation and they did have wish.

But even I have to say Italian should got what they want. As a fact they got very high votes.

And hey! I backed it and a lot of my friends backed too, they all chinese.

Sorry my English is not good and I hope you guys know what I mean :p

Edited by GA_Frank
  • Like 1

We're talking about over 4 MILION DOLLARS for this project. Record for videogames in Kickstarter and 3rd in overall

The goal to START the game was 1.1 MIL

Are you saying to me that Obsidian can't invest 1000 dollars in a text translation?

If fans can do it with the toolkit for free in their spare time, image a professional society.

Guys in Italy will agree with me that piracy is wide in our country, and this is the main problem about our "little piece of market" for the videogame industry.

But if you create a good game, with high quality support (see The Witcher 2), the italian comunity will reward you, like we did with Red Project (aka Witcher creators)

• Like 1