1697 members have voted

1. 1. Translation to which languages should be a priority in your opinion (in addition to English, French, German and Spanish, which are already confirmed)?

• Dutch
    • Chinese
    • Italian
    • Japanese
    • Korean
    • Portuguese
    • Polish
    • Russian
    • Turkish
    • Other (specify in comments)

I'm surprised that there are so many votes for Japanese. I once read that western cRPGs are extremely unpopular in Japan... hmmm

Which probably still makes Japan a bigger market than most other countries in the world.

Even if the Japanese purchase western CRPGs at a rate of, say, 1/4 that of your average Western country, per capita. Since Japan's population is about 130 million, then Japan would be, in this example, a larger market for this game than any 'average Western country' with a population of less than 32 million or so. That's a lot of Western countries.

Now I don't know the exact ratio of how much less likely the Japanese are to buy Western CRPGs than Westerners, but Japan's huge population gives it plenty of room to be both "not interested in Western cRPGs" while simultaneously being one of the largest world markets for Western CRPGs.

Japan doesn't buy PC games, there's virtually no market for PC games at all. Japan doesn't buy western RPGs even on console, only Bethesda games sell well, and even then no where near as well as in the West, and those games are really shallow sandboxes, more like GTA than a game like Project Eternity. Japan's Skyrim sales made up 1.2% of world sales in the first week, and Bethesda games are the only Western RPGs that chart in the Japanese top 10. It would be foolish to translate to Japanese.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

Use XML files.

Let fans translate it.

I was against the initial translation and I'm against any other translations.

The exception being languages that don't use the roman alphabet, which is a serious obstacle for those learning a new language.

disclaimer: english is not my first language (and I'm only knowledgeable of the roman alphabet)

Edited by hideo kuze

Latin, because it would give authentic medieval researcher feeling when you try understand what the heck those people say :)

But in reality I think that Russian, Polish and Italian traslations would be most profitable. After these, you could look about Korean and maybe Japanese translations there could be audiance for Project Eternity in those countries also.

And don't forgot Finnish, because there could be one or two finnish rpg fans who don't prefer play games in English :).

Edited by Elerond

Russian translation all the way. While I am perfectly able to understand English, translation would add a lot to immersion and enjoyability of the game. Y'see, even when you know English perfectly fine, if it's not your native language, you don't think in it - you have to translate everything in your head, which makes the game more tiring mentally.

That's not what knowing English perfectly fine means.

Trust me, it is. I live in Italy and i speak perfectly Italian (Better than Polish wich is my native language) but i can`t stand playing a game (specialy an RPG) that is not translated to Polish ...

Polish + 3 :) It's obvious hard to understand for many people here, that knowing English suffice to fluent communicate isn't the same as ability to fluent fast reading a huge amount of text, dialogues etc. which could contain a lot of idioms, colloquialisms etc. Frankly, I have no problem with English but sometimes completely don't understand American English - that's why I don't want to waste my time and spend hours with dictionary repeating some scenes and dialogues, trying understand what really character or NPC has said.

Second - it's also strange here, that many people complain that translating game into Polish, Russian, Italian etc. is a huge waste of money. During a gathering funds on Wasteland 2, Polish and Russian were in first pack non-english languages, cause of huge contribution of Polish and Russian fans for that project. That gives me assume to say, that we (Polish and Russians) are not a few hysteric fans but a large RPG community who wants respect for they claims to have a their national languages game versions.

Edited by Sakhar
  • Like 3

Russian translation all the way. While I am perfectly able to understand English, translation would add a lot to immersion and enjoyability of the game. Y'see, even when you know English perfectly fine, if it's not your native language, you don't think in it - you have to translate everything in your head, which makes the game more tiring mentally.

That's not what knowing English perfectly fine means.

Trust me, it is. I live in Italy and i speak perfectly Italian (Better than Polish wich is my native language) but i can`t stand playing a game (specialy an RPG) that is not translated to Polish ...

You people are weird. I cannot stand a game translated into Czech. Must be a Polish thing :)

• Like 2

Say no to popamole!

Well, I'm responsible for Polish Planescape: Torment, BG2, NWN, and over 200 other games, and I'd be delighted if I could work on the game. Let's keep our fingers crossed so that Obsidian adds Polish, Russian and Italian to the next stretch tier.

• Like 5

I cannot stand a game translated into Czech.

And this is supposed to tell as what? That the whole Czech gaming community hates games translated into Czech? It's a bloody small community, I say. ;)

Btw. News abut this poll reached one of the biggest Polish game related sites...the results are visible immediately :)

Edited by norolim

I cannot stand a game translated into Czech.

And this is supposed to tell as what? That the whole Czech gaming community hates games translated into Czech? It's a bloody small community, I say. ;)

Btw. News abut this poll reached one of the biggest Polish game related sites...the results are visible immediately :)

I was answering the sentence "I cannot stand a game not translated into Polish", so it should be pretty obvious to even the most casual observer that we were trading personal anecdotes. But nice selective quoting, friend.

Say no to popamole!

I was answering the sentence "I cannot stand a game not translated into Polish", so it should be pretty obvious to even the most casual observer that we were trading personal anecdotes. But nice selective quoting, friend.

My bad. I didn't actually read what you were referring to.

I think that now the game will not be translated into Russian, Polish and Italian.

At 14 days after the end 2.4 million is a very high goal, also has not yet been chosen necessary capital to the new languages, I have lost hope.

Edited by Ryuzaki

Dea Mortis, iuravi, Carissimam servaturum, Dea Mortis, servabo, ut tempora recte ducam

Steam: Ryuuzaaki | PSN: x_-Ryuzaki-_x | Live: Yorudoragon | Wii: 1179 5373 5105 2010 | BattleTag: Ryuzaki#2821

I think that now the game will not be translated into Russian, Polish and Italian.

At 14 days after the end 2.4 million is a very high goal, also has not yet been chosen necessary capital to the new languages, I have lost hope.

@Gerardo That's true. It's hard to get from people where they are from though. However, we should have something cool to announce on Russian and Polish really soon.

Oct. 02, 2012 on Project Eternity.