1697 members have voted

1. 1. Translation to which languages should be a priority in your opinion (in addition to English, French, German and Spanish, which are already confirmed)?

• Dutch
    • Chinese
    • Italian
    • Japanese
    • Korean
    • Portuguese
    • Polish
    • Russian
    • Turkish
    • Other (specify in comments)

On release?

Same with Polish. And some of the versions are considered better than the originals. So please mate, for your own sake. Stop posting in this subject. You've already proven several times that you know verey little about the things your are trying to argue about Go back to my 1st reply to you in this topic, think over stuff, do some reading, learn to be a bit less egocentric...perhaps then your ideas will find a more favourable ground.

On release?

Yes.

I've not played very old RPGs but even Might and Magic 7, for example, was localized on release.

Fallout 2 had even voice acting, and so did BG 1&2, Icewind Dale 1&2, Planescape Torment, Arcanum, etc.

M&M7 : http://www.skritz.co...2/02/mm7_fr.jpg

Edited by Simonosaurus

Backer of : Dead State, Grim Dawn, Pillars of Eternity and Wasteland 2.

Les jeux sont faits, rien ne va plus !

I'm portuguese and I would specifically order the game in English if it was translated into Portuguese. I hate translated/dubbed games and movies. But I understand many people don't know enough English to be able to play a game with a lot of text, so I hope everyone gets their needs satisfied.

Project Eternity: Interactive/animated or descriptive? Check my poll and vote!

Well, that could have gone better. I still stand by my "**** translation" statement.

And you are entitled to your selfish desires as a consumer, as are they. I don't mean 'selfish' as a negative descriptor in this case, either. We're all selfish in our demands for a consumer product since any feature by necessity results in an opportunity cost that damages the interests of at least one other customer.

• Like 1

(Example:) I live in Japan at the moment and it's rare that people know enough English to introduce themself. Even all the university students I've met have had problems with that level of basics. I'm on a English class (second year in high school) and only two people can speak it on (somewhat) conversatioval level. For most of them, it takes 10-30 minutes to fully understand one easy page of a children story. All the TV-shows and movies are dubbed. All the books translated. All the games in Japanese. It's rare for people at banks or post office to speak English. etc etc

Didn't translate? Too bad, a country of 125 million people, with one of the world's biggest gaming industries/gamer communities in the world, virtually monolingual. Good luck trying selling a RPG there.

• Like 1

Hey, I already admitted I want the game for myself and all other people should just send more money.

The point is that it's quite probable that translation into certain additional languages will increase the resources available to developers (due to increased number of pledges and sales), and not decrease it. Which will allow them to make the game better for you even if you're not interested in these additional languages, since anyway translating the game won't take developers' time, only hired translators' time. The question is then whether the costs of hiring these translators are lower than additional money acquired as the result of having transaltions available, or not. And I think that at least in case of Russian, Italian and Polish it's a safe bet to say that these translation costs are much lower than the pledges/sales resulting from translations being available.

So, in fact, it's most probably a win-win solution, and I don't get why are you so opposed to it.

Edited by jerf
  • Like 1

I don't think language translations are good for stretch goals because they leave out everyone besides those speaking the promised language and if they understand the promise of the goal to even give money in the first place they don't need a translation because they can clearly understand English just fine.

I rather they focus strictly on the game itself and use stretch goals to grow the world itself so that everyone can enjoy that much more no matter what language they may speak.

1zq6793.jpg

@norolim

Are you planning to participate in translation into Polish? Have you contacted devs on that matter? Asking, `cause I`d like to participate in translation into Russian (even as a volunteer), but don`t know where to start. Thanks.

@norolim

Are you planning to participate in translation into Polish? Have you contacted devs on that matter? Asking, `cause I`d like to participate in translation into Russian (even as a volunteer), but don`t know where to start. Thanks.

I think that you can start with sending the devs a message through Kickstarter website; they are known to read all the messages there.

Edited by jerf

I don't think language translations are good for stretch goals

Maybe because of that it's only a small part of the stretch goal? The rest of the stretch goal is still much bigger than any other stretch goal we have seen so far.

Edited by Lusankya
  • Like 2

I'm not saying it should be done instead of professional translations, but it might be useful to have the game in such format that fan text translations would be easy to implement.

I personally have no stake in this. I'm Finnish, but I think most of us would prefer to play the English version even if there was a Finnish one available. I myself might play the translation if it wasn't horrible (though probably on the second playthrough), but just out of misguided nationalism and not because I'd need it.

SODOFF Steam group.

@norolim

I think that you can start with sending the devs a message through Kickstarter website; they are known to read all the messages there.

I did indeed contact the devs. And I was informed that they are weighing their options and will let me know, when they decide on something. I honestly hope they decide to greenlight the other language versions and that they give me a shout about it.

Edited by norolim

Mentioned this on other thread, but it's very likely that the cost of translating the text will get covered just by the non-English speaking gamers, especially if the language is big (German/Spanish/French). Even if they wouldn't add much extra, it then won't be money away from other things. Those ''language bledges'' can easily get us to a new strech goal we couldn't have got without them. They'll get their language, Obsidian gets money, everybody benefits ofrom the new stuff. Even English users.

I don't think translations would use the dev's time, only ressources as they would hire translators, I don't think this will limit the content but the cost is stil significant.

Then again, if they plan to sell the game to other people than the hardcore fans here, and try to have a slight chance with a wider audience, a translation is really needed.

I did indeed contact the devs. And I was informed that they are weighing their options and will let me know, when they decide on something. I honestly hope they decide to greenlight the other language versions and that they give me a shout about it.

So, I`d better leave them a message via kickstarter then.

And also, are there any russian translators on this forum who have already contacted dev?

I'm portuguese and I would specifically order the game in English if it was translated into Portuguese. I hate translated/dubbed games and movies. But I understand many people don't know enough English to be able to play a game with a lot of text, so I hope everyone gets their needs satisfied.

I'm sure you'll have the choice of playing the game in the language of your choosing.

Anyway, I'll gladly be part of a Polish translation team. I already have experience with translating games, and I'm sure working directly with the developer on it (as opposed to a Polish publisher, who is in contact with original publisher, with pretty much no contact with the devs to help out with ambiguities) will help make it much better than usual.

Edited by Ausir
  • Like 1

Anyway, I'll gladly be part of a Polish translation team. I already have experience with translating games, and I'm sure working directly with the developer on it (as opposed to a Polish publisher, who is in contact with original publisher, with pretty much no contact with the devs to help out with ambiguities) will help make it much better than usual.

I'd personally prefer the translation to be done by experienced professionals, even if it's not going to be me :). But if Obsidian decide they'd rather have fans do the job, I'm sure we'll manage to gather a team of skilled enthusiasts.

Edited by norolim

I'd personally prefer the translation to be done by experienced professionals, even if it's not going to be me :). But if Obsidian decide they'd rather have fans do the job, I'm sure we'll manage to gather a team of skilled enthusiasts.

Well, I am a professional translator myself. I know that inXile intends to fansource their translations of Wasteland 2, but I think it's a mistake. With so much text that needs to be kept consistent between various dialogues etc., you need to, at the very least, one professional per language to then edit that fan translation for errors and consistency.

I chose other, since there wasnt an no other translations option.

I've always felt translations from the original language is semi retarded, why would you want to worsen the language used, since alot of the terms which is in the english language, has no equivelent in alot of other languages.

I've always dread when stuff gets translated to Danish from original languages, since so SO much is lost during the translation.

On top of that, reading/watching stuff in another language than your own really, REALLY boosts your knowledge of said language.

Just my 0.02 $

• Like 1
minichart.png