Nah. Everyone has alot of mod tools already and my garage is full.

I'm not fooling anyone I know, I'm too poor to have a garage. That's really just my backpack.

"This is what most people do not understand about Colbert and Silverman. They only mock fictional celebrities, celebrities who destroy their selfhood to unify with the wants of the people, celebrities who are transfixed by the evil hungers of the public. Feed us a Gomorrah built up of luminous dreams, we beg. Here it is, they say, and it looks like your steaming brains."

" If you've read Hart's Hope, Neveryona, Infinity Concerto, Tales of the Flat Earth, you've pretty much played Dragon Age."

I'm somewhat surprised that there doesn't seem to be more discussion of modding tools as a viable stretch goal. Do we have any word that the guys at Obsidian are considering this, either as a built-in tool in the original product or as a later release?

I understand that they'll have a lot of work on their hands: building not only new IP but a new engine to make the game. That said, I don't need to emphasize how important it is for the community to have tools to do a variety of things, from tweaking individual item properties, to building new NPCs and/or character classes, and especially in creating new scenarios and campaigns in the years after the game's release.

I'm sure it's very early on in the planning stages -- after all, the Kickstarter isn't even finished. But I would like to see a robust set of developer's tools as a viable stretch goal. We want to help Obsidian tell stories in the Project Eternity world for many moons to come.

Edited by 9-Jack-9
  • Like 1

there're lots of threads dealing with modding tools and every now and then a new one flourishes. obsidian's stance is that they're thinking about modding support and they know that it's a rather important thing, but nothing's set in stone. we're not unheard. even if there never will be one released, as long as they're providing file declarations the community should be able to cook something up.

Edited by Semper

Compare BGI and II to NWN.

NWN had mod tools, but its campaign kinda sucked.

I'd like mod tools if they sacrifice NOTHING to get them. Good story and gameplay is the most important thing to me.

I mean, even if they don't introduce modding tools, you know someone's going to weidu something up.

Well I think I speak for a large portion of the community when I say that we really really really really really really want mod tools as a stretch goal!

Thoughts?

If they add official mod tools as a stretch goal, I will immediately increase my pledge. It greatly enhances the value of the game.

EDIT: Would love to see integration with Steam Workshop as well.

Edited by IcyDeadPeople

Dedicated mod tools would probably be a huge drain on the available resources.

that's the whole meaning of stretch goals... to fund something expensive. they could also add a toolset after release, if the financial success justifies such a move.

that's the whole meaning of stretch goals... to fund something expensive. they could also add a toolset after release, if the financial success justifies such a move.

Well, honestly, I'd rather see them focus on creating the best singleplayer experience they can.

There's no toolset for any of the Total War games - despite that, there's a wealth of various mods, some very impressive (Third Age). They just avoided using hard-coding.

To NWN: I got to the very beginning of the first act but I get lots of use out of the Diamond Addition because of player campaigns like A Dance with Rogues (don't judge, she should design regular games). Those campaigns offer hours of fun and you can make them yourself rather easily!

There's a big hole that NWN last filled which a game could really slide itself into, especially one on this, so there's lots of cry for that.

But…

For this team, I really just think that story needs to come first so that it can be the best it possibly can-- they WANT a series, if Eternity 1 isn't too eclectic for its little budget then number two could branch out with a bigger team and established audience.

CORSAIR, n. A politician of the seas. ~The Devil's Dictionary

It's not critical for a single player game like this, but might be nice. Who knows, maybe it will be part of a future stretch goal or a post release feature if it really sells well?

modding tools are even more critical for single player games like this.

I just don't want them to say something like there was not enough funding etc..

Not only are we paying for the development but there will also be sales from this game.

So I would really like it if they really considered this..

Else I might pull my pledge since the game made it's goal..

And even if I don't pull my pledge I'd be more then willing to double the amount if they add mod tools as a stretch goal..

P.S don't forget were talking about Unity here.. It's super easy to make mod tools for Unity..

It's not critical for a single player game like this, but might be nice. Who knows, maybe it will be part of a future stretch goal or a post release feature if it really sells well?

modding tools are even more critical for single player games like this.

That's purely a matter of opinion don't you think. Lack of mods never diminished my fun in planescape, icewind dale or Baldur's Gate. ToEE's circle of eight mod pack was must, but even then I enjoyed the game without mods.

I'm certainly not opposed to mod tools, but I just don't see them as critical. Which is just my opinion.

That's purely a matter of opinion don't you think. Lack of mods never diminished my fun in planescape, icewind dale or Baldur's Gate. ToEE's circle of eight mod pack was must, but even then I enjoyed the game without mods.

I'm certainly not opposed to mod tools, but I just don't see them as critical. Which is just my opinion.

of course it didn't diminish it; but it didn't add to it either.

single player games like this don't have the randomness of multiplayer to keep them fresh, so the modifications are the only 'refreshener' they can fall back to. - even PST, FO2 or Arcanum can only be played so many times, before they are completely uncovered.

now - humor me with this complete speculation - imagine what we could have been playing today, if BG came with set of modding tools like NWNs did.

and yes, any statement from any one on any forum is just an opinion. 'should go without saying (:

Compare BGI and II to NWN.

NWN had mod tools, but its campaign kinda sucked.

I'd like mod tools if they sacrifice NOTHING to get them. Good story and gameplay is the most important thing to me.

I mean, even if they don't introduce modding tools, you know someone's going to weidu something up.

Really man? How can you say the campaign sucked?

I know that's an opinion but from the second act on the game is pure gold..

I'm playing it right now (again) which should be a testimony to it's brilliance.

Also Come one man Aribeth? Fing awesome character!

Not to mention the expansion packs..