Bring Back Large Experience Tables

One thing I miss about the Infinity Engine games is the old AD&D Level Progression tables, you get a much more satisfying feeling earning 1000XP for a quest, instead of 100XP (a la 3rd edition, Star Wars, all other games using that d20 model).

i really liked the fighter's progression table

Level 2: 2,000

Level 3: 4,000

Level 4: 8,000

Level 5: 16,000

Level 6: 32,000

Level 7: 64,000

Level 8: 125,000

Level 9: 250,000

Level 10+: +250,000 XP

But yeah larger numbers feels more rewarding (and more of a monolith to obtain).

In conjunction quest/monster XP rewards should be high too, for instance, 2,000 XP for defeating a Flesh Golem encounter, instead of say 200.

YMMV.

For you, we shall create a mod which multiplies all numbers by 10,000.

Size isn't everything. :p

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.

Basically, will agree with the notion that the choice of rule system for your game can make it easier on BOTH the players to identify with the story elements you're trying to convey with those rules, and the designers who have to try and put it all together. Nothing screams "poorly thought-out mechanics" like artificial limits and arbitrary barriers being thrown up all the time that, at best, do nothing to positively reinforce the story elements that are being portrayed, or, at worst, actively tear down the story your writers have created. This is what frustrates me so much about Bioware these days. The game, while still fun enough, simply ooze with such contradictions, to the detriment of the very story they're trying to tell.

I hate pointless/sensless artificial limitations. But level cap really isn't one of them.

reaching the level cap is typically a sign of a poorly paced game though.

But if the companions don't gain XP unless they're travelling with you, then a higher cap would mean that some characters could never reach it.

And, as I've been telling BioWare for years, pacing isn't the designers' job. Pacing is the player's job.

If the designer puts a group of quests in every town and I complete those quests, I don't want to be max level before the end of the game. If naturally progressing through the content of the game gets me to the level cap, that is the designers fault with pacing. I should have to go out of my way to reach it.

As long as there isn't an infinite amount of XP, I don't see why there needs to be a level cap at all.

Edited by ogrezilla

For you, we shall create a mod which multiplies all numbers by 10,000.

Size isn't everything. :p

Read the thread, not just the original post.

I wasn't replying to "the thread", I was replying to the original post. Hence why I quoted it.

That being said, if I'm REQUIRED to respond to this drivel about level caps and pacing to post in the thread, here's my take:

I don't care. I REALLY don't care. I have just as much fun cheat-leveling my character to the cap and THEN playing the game as I do if I'm still 3.5 levels shy of cap when I finish it (actually, I often have MORE fun this way because I can get some USE out of the cool abilities instead of just DROOLING over them until the end). Or if there is no cap. Why? Because I don't expect every game to be exactly the same. The reason why I'm playing and enjoying them is rarely the same across 2 playthroughs let alone 2 games.

I would, honest to goodness, not mind one bit if there is no leveling mechanic whatsoever and you just build your entire character at the start of the game and all mechanical progression comes from other systems. Granted, I don't expect that to be the case with this game.

Edited by PsychoBlonde

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.

In Baldur's Gate 1 it was rare to pick up a level 1 companion.

Imoen, Khalid and Jaheira.

The rest were either level 2 or somewhat scaled depending on when you recruited them.

That's a good point, and a point in favour of not granting companions free XP just to match the PC.

The companions don't all start at level 1. Even if they're not scaled, simply having higher level companions encounter the PC as he moves farther from the starting location neatly solves the level 1 companion problem, but without straining credulity.

That said, I really don't like it when companions have abilities pre-assigned. I like to do that myself in all cases.

God used to be my co-pilot, but then we crashed in the Andes and I had to eat him.

"Throne of Bhaal style" NPCs solves this problem (I don't think I need to explain what that means).

One of the mods introduced this into Shadows of Amn.

However I'm sure the writers have an idea of what NPCs will be skilled at, so their skills will probably be pre-determined.

Edited by Sensuki

Im a big fan of a large experience table a-la AD&D. I haven't played any D&D in about 10 or more years, sadly, but I do remember its biggest appeal being I could do, literally, what I wanted with my character and not have him/her locked into any one role and I could look down 5-10-20 levels ahead to see what route I wanted to take as opposed to be locked into it. I could strengthen certain things and keep certain things as they were. Although I almost always leaned towards an intellectual dual-wielding Rogue/Fighter type character just because I love stealth-type classes.

Nick B

"YOU HAVE DIED OF DYSENTERY" - Oregon Trail

That said, I really don't like it when companions have abilities pre-assigned. I like to do that myself in all cases.

Awww, but they should be their own people, not your puppets. :D

That said, I'm in favor of giving players the option to assign abilities to companions, but I prefer when they have a predefined path that fits their character.

I too lean towards the idea that at least when you first encounter companions that thier choices are predefined based on their character concepts and perhaps it's only going forward that you are able to influence the choices they make at level up... 8)

However as long as there is some sort of "auto-level" I can use as a substitute (when I want the character leveled as the devs thought they should be without my interference) - I am OK with giving the player the option to level them as they see fit... :no:

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...