I'm confused is the game called Project Eternity or Eternity?

Yes, Obsidian always codename their projects.

What would be great is if all the names Obsidian have selected as likely candidates were place in a poll and they let their community pick the one they vote the best. :)

As Obsidian plans this to be a franchise I hope is each game will have a suffix, not just Eternity I, Eternity II, Eternity III. As in `Eternity - Soul Eater´ `Eternity - White March´ and so on, also just so you know they are not suggestions just examples of what I mean.

They should put the names up in a poll and let the backers choose.

Bad idea. First, we know too little about the storry, setting etc and therefore our choice would be a random one. Besides, the task of choosing a game title shouldn't be left in the hands of the masses. It's too important.

• Like 4

Bad idea. First, we know too little about the storry, setting etc and therefore our choice would be a random one. Besides, the task of choosing a game title shouldn't be left in the hands of the masses. It's too important.

Actually, considering it is precisely 'the masses' who are buying the game and since we know that names help sell products (sometimes strongly), I think that the name of the game is one of the decisions that SHOULD be left up to the Kickstarter backers. Although not yet.

THe backers don't buy the game, they support its developement and as a thank you, we get a copy of the game. The difference is subtle but important. As to that, if the "masses" are gonna decide, let them decide between different options the developers present, not some random ****e name some people feels sounds nice.

• Like 1

Don't care about what the name is, but if it's not named relatively soon, then it'll be hard not to just end up naming it 'Eternity' or some close variation thereof. I mean if you call your puppy a temporary name for the first month you have it, it'll be a pretty big task trying to change it down the road. :p

See also: Snakes on a Plane

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

THe backers don't buy the game, they support its developement and as a thank you, we get a copy of the game. The difference is subtle but important. As to that, if the "masses" are gonna decide, let them decide between different options the developers present, not some random ****e name some people feels sounds nice.

You are right. A poll with 2 or 3 names carefully chosen by the devs can indeed be a good way to show that they let us make some important decisions.

• Like 1

The codename "Eternity" is a refrence to the old Infinity Engine used in BG, IWD, PS:T.

There - I've just blown your mind.

Or possibly stated the bleedingly obvious. - You are welcome either way.

I didn't even think of that, it seems so obvious, but still.. Is there a qoute somewhere, or did you just apply logic^tm?

Project Eternity is what causes the Event our character witnesses...

Actually I wouldn't mind if the game was just called Project Eternity, even if that had no meaning in the game, the public don't usually get this kind of insight so early and the name has kind of grown on me now.

How could the backers even make this decision, if they don't know the details of the game's story, setting, characters, etc.?

No, the developers must make this decision themselves (the same goes for every other important decision regarding the game, btw). Let's trust them, and let them surprise us!

• Like 1

I think the developers should choose the best three or four names that fit the game and then put up a poll for the backers to choose. It would be a nice gesture and make people feel they had a part in some of the decisions. We don't need to know the details of the story. What does the name Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale tell us about a game?

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg